Wii: Paper Mario

People can say what they want about specs and input devices and all sorts but there's no replacement for great design.

Loved the moment it flipped to the alternative view.

People can say what they want about specs and input devices and all sorts but there's no replacement for great design.
Yes, but in the case of input devices, there's nothing Wii-specific in this title. It's a game that can be run on any current platform using traditional game ideas (direction and jump), and so Paper Mario's not a shining example of what Wii uniquely brings to gaming. Moreso because Crush on the PSP seems to have taken the idea a step further.

Also regards the game, with the little bit shown here, I can't see much point to the (not very well rendered) 3D view other than to walk around obstacles. Presumably that's because it's a training level to introduce ideas and the 3D part gets fleshed out into an essential part of the gameplay.

I've been waiting on this one for quite some time. I didn't care for the previous Paper Marios, but I liked the changes they made to it to bring this about.

Is it still bound for the Cube at some point, or are they going to frustrate me to no end?

<sigh> Pointlessly frustrating me, then. I was hoping they'd at least pull a Twilight Princess and only delay it a few months to get the Wii version out first.

Yes, but in the case of input devices, there's nothing Wii-specific in this title. It's a game that can be run on any current platform using traditional game ideas (direction and jump), and so Paper Mario's not a shining example of what Wii uniquely brings to gaming. Moreso because Crush on the PSP seems to have taken the idea a step further.

Oh no, I wasn't specifically applying input devices in this scenario. In fact I was thinking "Hmm, I wonder what the input method is? And when will they release a traditional controller?"

I guess my comment was triggered by my love, sorry admiration, of Mario. Essentially I thought the vid was cool...

Hasn't all first-party work on GC ended? There was a thread a while back, but there was a post IIRC that said it wasn't that extreme.

Paper Mario was definitely the last Nintendo game scheduled for the GCN. Apparently it was almost complete, when it moved to Wii. So there's currently no other 1st party GCN title in development and I doubt there ever will be.
I think the thread you're referring to, however, was the thread about Nintendo stopping the HW production of the GCN.

It's that "almost complete" part that bugs me. I don't respond well to games shifted simply as advertising or coercion.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is unlikely to aim anything at the Cube now, which does seem odd since they're entirely backwards compatible, but I suppose that at least speaks well on their desire to deliver features that really use the Wii's capabilities, rather than be restricted be legacy Cube design.

It's that "legacy design" that pisses me off in SPM's case, though; it's already riddled with it, so they're really just using it as a wedge to encourage Cube owners to upgrade.

Back