Why Tom's Hardware is such a sell out

Diplo said:
Well, you've proved your ability to cut'n'paste from an online dictionary. Now all we need to work on are the cognitive functions that will enable you to comprehend the meaning...

HeyDip here is a quote from you

Actually, I suggest you look up the word bias. Unless you can show they deliberately knew the facts were wrong, then this is not indicative of bias, only shoddy journalism.

Where do you see that they have to know the facts are deliberately wrong for it to be bias. Bias can be summed up simply as prejudice. So lets not try to deflect the point that your opinion of what bias is does not equal what the accepted definition is ok?

Stryyder....calm down. Don't take any of this personally, ok? Remember, some people - well, most people to some extent - go through life with blinders on. Some choose to cast a blind eye to politics,, some choose to cast that blind eye to the ethics of some companys or websites...... ;) My father was fond of saying you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink....... Guess Diplo isn't thursty ATM....... ;)

martrox said:
Stryyder....calm down. Don't take any of this personally, ok? Remember, some people - well, most people to some extent - go through life with blinders on. Some choose to cast a blind eye to politics,, some choose to cast that blind eye to the ethics of some companys or websites...... ;) My father was fond of saying you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink....... Guess Diplo isn't thursty ATM....... ;)

Your right apologies to all for my M comment all it does is lower the level of the conversation, I shouldn't allow myself to be baited like that.

Stryyder said:
Where do you see that they have to know the facts are deliberately wrong for it to be bias.
Bias is a deliberate act, not something that happens by accident. Unless you can show that they knew the facts were wrong, but published them anyway, this isn't indicative of bias. If you're going to accuse a publication of bias then you need to show that the article you mentioned is representative of a wide-spread deliberate distortion of the truth. Ignoring other articles that clearly refute this doesn't really help your case.

Why not just stop the prevaricating and post what you really want to say? Namely, "Nvidia suXors!!!! ATI Roxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!" and be done with it?

Diplo said:
Stryyder said:
Where do you see that they have to know the facts are deliberately wrong for it to be bias.
Bias is a deliberate act, not something that happens by accident. Unless you can show that they knew the facts were wrong, but published them anyway, this isn't indicative of bias. If you're going to accuse a publication of bias then you need to show that the article you mentioned is representative of a wide-spread deliberate distortion of the truth. Ignoring other articles that clearly refute this doesn't really help your case.

Why not just stop the prevaricating and post what you really want to say? Namely, "Nvidia suXors!!!! ATI Roxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!" and be done with it?

*sigh*

The facts are not the issue it is their presentation that is the issue. You seem to cant get over the fact that bias and lying can be two mutually exclusive things.

Also the fact that the article is more maybe, mights and rumors than it is fact. The Fact is that ATI will be selling the cards directly during that unexplained month lag and that Comp USA isn't the only retailer in the US.

Regardless it seems to be a useless effort to continue trying to change each others opinions is it not?

Might not surprise many of you, but if you check some of the links for the news stories on the site, you'll see they actually use the Inquirer as a source.

I think that speaks enough to how much importance they feel the need to confirm their stories.

mojo said:
Might not surprise many of you, but if you check some of the links for the news stories on the site, you'll see they actually use the Inquirer as a source.

I think that speaks enough to how much importance they feel the need to confirm their stories.

Cha' Ching!!!!!!! ;)

Tahir said:
I would just like to say that Bias is not always deliberate.
Sure, if you want to get into semantics and the sociological reasons why people can adapt certain mindsets... However, when you are insinuating that the bias was deliberately introduced to influence share prices then you can only conclude that the inference is that the bias is deliberate.

If the bias wasn't deliberate, and somehow unconscious in a weird Jungian way, then I'd expect it to manifest itself across all facets of the website. The fact is, it's far more logical to assume that the article in question was a simple copy job from the Inquirer on a slow news day. Shoddy? Yep. Biased? Nope.

I've come to the decision that although THG might be somewhat biased, it's not really that bad. It's really just more bad journalism than anything else.

Don't attribute to malice what can be easily attributed to stupidity :)

MrBond said:
I've come to the decision that although THG might be somewhat biased, it's not really that bad. It's really just more bad journalism than anything else.

Well said. Take f.e the Firingsquad review of the 6800 (GT and Ultra Extreme) the same day as the X800 was released (which also happened to contain X800 scores). I thought that the whole thing was ridicilous.

The problem wasn't bias from their side though as could be seen in the actual review, but it wasn't "good journalism" either. They should at least have said "we included the X800 scores because..., X800 review is coming very soon" or something like that.

MrBond said:

Well,
Bias = bad.
Bad journalism = bad. (doh)
Bias + Bad journalism = terrible.
Two wrongs sure don't make a right here.

Diplo said:
Well, you've proved your ability to cut'n'paste from an online dictionary. Now all we need to work on are the cognitive functions that will enable you to comprehend the meaning...

Why do I feel always something weird about you and Nvidia, Diplo? :LOL:

PS: You didn't even bother yourself to check the dictinary - you should read first instead of posting these silly answers.

MrBond said:

I used to think the same few years ago but since then they did prove their malicious intentions towards certain vendors many times.

Anyway... really doesn't matter - who reads Tom's Garbage, after all? :LOL:

T2k said:
Why do I feel always something weird about you and Nvidia, Diplo? :LOL:
I can't possibly account for why you have strange feelings about me and Nvidia. However, so long as they're not sexual in nature I don't really mind.
PS: You didn't even bother yourself to check the dictinary - you should read first instead of posting these silly answers.
No, I checked a dictionary :)

Back