Why Tom's Hardware is such a sell out

Stryyder

Regular
THG posted an article yesterday saying that the X800 was seriously delayed based on the Comp USA expected availability dates.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040506_153547.html

This information is now being pimped heavily at the NVDA yahoo finance message boards.

This information was posted about an hour before the NVIDIA stock holders conference call.

The article contains 3 Paragraphs of conjecture on how the product is delayed they neither contacted COMP USA about how they calculated their availability dates and only offered a two line sentence saying ATI knows nothing of any delays at the end of the article after an add. The ATI 'rebuttal' is easy to miss as you may think the article ended before the add.

Is it me or does this whole thing smell fishy to you guys. Is THG just a chump or are they actively doing something untoward? What do you all think.

LS

Uhm, I heard reports yesterday of them being actually available at some BestBuys.

Not online ordering, the cards physically being on the shelf at some stores.

I'm calling it BS or nVidia PR kicking into gear.

They'd better hurry with the FUD too, 'cause the cards will be available all over next week. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
Uhm, I heard reports yesterday of them being actually available at some BestBuys.

Not online ordering, the cards physically being on the shelf at some stores.

I'm calling it BS or nVidia PR kicking into gear.

They'd better hurry with the FUD too, 'cause the cards will be available all over next week. 8)

My Question is why THG is spreading the FUD through a news article that is over lower quality than Inquirer reporting. Damn I know THG is biased but this is ridiculous no?

Stryyder said:
My Question is why THG is spreading the FUD through a news article that is over lower quality than Inquirer reporting. Damn I know THG is biased but this is ridiculous no?
No, not really from their perspective.

Think about it. Tom sees the CompUSA ETA and decides it's newsworthy and factual information that his readers would like so he posts it.

The fact that he doesn't research it at all, try to confirm it, nor make an attempt to contact ATi or CompUSA about it doesn't really surprise me at all...that's only the kind of stuff us ameuters are supposed to do, the "big" hardware sites have no need of such checks and balances being all-knowing and all. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Stryyder said:

Think about it. Tom sees the CompUSA ETA and decides it's newsworthy and factual information that his readers would like so he posts it.

The fact that he doesn't research it at all, try to confirm it, nor make an attempt to contact ATi or CompUSA about it doesn't really surprise me at all...that's only the kind of stuff us ameuters are supposed to do, the "big" hardware sites have no need of such checks and balances being all-knowing and all. ;)

SO how does one store i.e. Comp USA translate to 'US Retail' and how is he sure that the delay isn't because of some internal process at one US retailer that say may want to blow out the current ATI boards at reduced prices over the next two weeks prior to putting the new boards on the shelf. It is such a bullshit article.

P.S. its coming http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=276979

Shipping in 4 - 6 days

A perfect example of a site not serving the interests of the readers.

It really is about time there was a code of practice/seal of approval for internet sites.

If I'm not mistaken, most of these "review" sites were started by enthuisiasts. I believe things have moved on & it is time there was some form of regulation.

They really need to become more solid in regard to their reporting. :(

THG are brown-nosers , so thats what they report, anything that caters to their favorites. But of course they won't headline "Nvidia dosn't even have an ETA". "Typical Toms Bull" is what they should be called.

Question: If Tom's is so biased towards Nvidia, why have I seen numerous ATI fans use Tom's IQ tests for 'Far Cry' to show that Nvidia cards have bad IQ? Why is the main headline in the video section "ATi's X800 Pulls Off Another Coup in the Graphics Performance War" ?

Here's the conclusion to that X800 review:

We haven't even really gotten over NVIDIA's highly impressive introduction of its GeForce 6800 Ultra, and here ATi is already hitting back hard. Thanks to its performance advantage when using anisotropic filtering, the Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition shows its rivals who's boss in this discipline without noticeably sacrificing image quality. Even the much less expensive X800 Pro with its 12 pipes can beat the GeForce 6800 Ultra in some game tests. The price difference of about $100 will certainly be an argument that could win over a number of undecided buyers. When quality-enhancing features like FSAA and anisotropic filtering aren't enabled, however, it is often the GeForce 6800 Ultra that takes first place. Thanks to Temporal AA, though, ATi has a good solution even to this "problem". At any rate, most gamers would be loath to do without anisotropic filtering when using cards of this caliber anyway. But keep in mind that neither of the cards can be termed "slow". We´re talking about differences at very high levels!

In our opinion, the most impressive thing about this card is how little effort ATi needed to reach the performance we saw here. The power consumption of the X800 XT is about the same as that of its predecessors in 3D applications. Additionally, the cards require only one auxiliary power connector and don't need an especially potent power supply like the GeForce 6800 Ultra does. Even the cooler has shrunk a bit, reducing the card's overall weight and ensuring that it would fit even into a mini-ITX case.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to how this is biased towards Nvidia? Or when people say Tom's is biased, do they just mean it doesn't reflect their own bias?

digitalwanderer said:
Stryyder said:

Well he does claim there were rumours of this during the System Builder conference last week already, from 'representatives' of 'large retail stores' (to me this would imply more than just CompUSA).

Stryyder said:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=643489

Shipping in 4 to 6 days, note that it is not on pre order status.

LS

Note that is says "usually ships in 4-6 days".

Bjorn said:
Stryyder said:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=643489

Shipping in 4 to 6 days, note that it is not on pre order status.

LS

Note that is says "usually ships in 4-6 days".

I think I am going to call them and see if I can talk to someone with a clue...

Wish me luck.

P.S. Sent an email, waiting for response.

Evildeus said:
Diplo,
Because when a rumor is not in favour of someone prefered card maker then it is biased ;)

Has Tom's published an article about the limited (non) availability of the 6800 cards? Even nvidia has stated they won't be available in any volume until July and they would only ship at the end of the month? Why is the information noteworthy for one IHV and not the other?

If THG was print media his ass would have been sued out of business ages ago.

AlphaWolf said:
Evildeus said:
Diplo,
Because when a rumor is not in favour of someone prefered card maker then it is biased ;)

Has Tom's published an article about the limited (non) availability of the 6800 cards? Even nvidia has stated they won't be available in any volume until July and they would only ship at the end of the month? Why is the information noteworthy for one IHV and not the other?

Actually he would have made the existing article repudable simply by mentioning when the 6800 product were allegedly going to be made available but he didn't.

The difference being Ati said that availability was immediate, whereas Nv said less than 45 days. So what's your point?
AlphaWolf said:
Evildeus said:
Diplo,

THG talks about the 800XT not the pro. At least that is what I thought it said.

Rumors, that the new X800 XT might be off to a slow start, first appeared at the System Builder Summit in Barcelona earlier this week. While ATI mentioned that it has started shipping the cards, representatvives of large retail stores said that the products might not arrive until the end of May, pushing availability dates into June.

ATI originally expected to have the cards available between May 21 and May 31. CompUSA however puts the expected ship date for the $499 X800 XT at June 25. The X800 Pro will be available between May 9 and 12 for $399, according to CompUSA.

All I have seen is people pimping ati and saying how retail availibility is great, but I still see only pros and not XT's.

So it seems that until youguys start seeing XT's there is nothing incorrect about the info.

Sxotty said:
THG talks about the 800XT not the pro. At least that is what I thought it said.

Rumors, that the new X800 XT might be off to a slow start, first appeared at the System Builder Summit in Barcelona earlier this week. While ATI mentioned that it has started shipping the cards, representatvives of large retail stores said that the products might not arrive until the end of May, pushing availability dates into June.

ATI originally expected to have the cards available between May 21 and May 31. CompUSA however puts the expected ship date for the $499 X800 XT at June 25. The X800 Pro will be available between May 9 and 12 for $399, according to CompUSA.

All I have seen is people pimiping ati and saying how retail availibility is great, but I still see only pros and not XT's

Well as ATI has said specifically that availability of the XT's would be in late may (21st) I don't see how that is an issue.

BTW, CompUSA has X800Pro's listed as available (on their website) now - 3-6 days shipping for $399. and XT available on 6/20. As a longtime CompUSA videocard purchaser - I have some good reasons to do so - they tend to be about a month slower that most getting new videocards in....It's a real suprise they have Pro's this early.

And ED, you really need to stop taking this so personal..... You must have posted in every thread that has anything to do with the X800's..... ;)

Stryyder said:
THG posted an article yesterday saying that the X800 was seriously delayed based on the Comp USA expected availability dates.

This is why it is an issue. THG DID NOT SAY the x800 was off to a slow start they said the X800XT was off to a slow start that is different.

Back