Which headphones to choose?

truthfully I've used many different brands of headphones and the quality of any $100+ set is pretty much subjective. I mean there are a few exceptions here and there but your best bet is to listen to both and pick the one you think sounds the best.

The audiophile answer:

1. Select a good mix of 3-4 CDs out of your collection which represent the kind of music you like to hear and you know pretty well.
2. Demo each pair of headphones using your own CDs. Preferably from a device with a decent headphone amp, but one can't have everything.

There is no other way to guarantee success. You'll be amazed at the huge differences between headphones.

Personally I'm a Sennheiser addict due to their comfort, and the fact that Sennheisers are nice and relaxed in sound, not artificially aggressive treble which sounds exciting for 10 minutes before you start to feel the first ear pain. Good headphones should be designed so you can listen to them for hours without feeling like your ears are melting.

I use Sennheiser as well. The small PMX60 or any full size part from them (HD497 is a cheap but good performer). If you have some money to burn, try BayerDynamic as well, has less boom but sounds more natural.

_xxx_ said:
I use Sennheiser as well. The small PMX60 or any full size part from them (HD497 is a cheap but good performer). If you have some money to burn, try BayerDynamic as well, has less boom but sounds more natural.

Sennheiser has discontinued the HD497, its sucessor is the EH350.

Beyerdynamic is awesome, I just recently got a pair of DT990, the DT880 were just to expensive for a first time Beyer pair and to neutral for me. You could also look into the DT770. The DT770 are closed phones and have just massive amounts of GOOD bass (read: tight reponse and more than one note). Of course all of those are 100+/200+ headphones, and require a good dedicated headphone amp.

For gaming, I personally use a Ultrasone HFi 550. Bassy, but the good bass. Has very clear highs. Has no problems without a headphone amp. Its a closed design, so it blocks all noise out. And if you find a pair used you can usually get it below $100. Only issue is the mids are pushed back.

For cheap though, you really cant beat either the EH 150 (really cheap) or EH 350 from Sennheiser.

I did some bigtime searching and asking questions a few months back and was suggested to pick up a set of Sony MDR-V6. Very happy with them. Definitely the best set I've ever had, and they were only $78. They are very crisp and can sound like you have a subwoofer in your head if you want them to. Excellent quality.

There's a huge following for the things, and they've been being made since the '80s I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001WRSJ/104-1407028-5812709?v=glance&n=172282

Don't remember where I bought them online anymore. But there are lots of places to choose from.

swaaye said:
I did some bigtime searching and asking questions a few months back and was suggested to pick up a set of Sony MDR-V6. Very happy with them. Definitely the best set I've ever had, and they were only $78. They are very crisp and can sound like you have a subwoofer in your head if you want them to. Excellent quality.

There's a huge following for the things, and they've been being made since the '80s I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001WRSJ/104-1407028-5812709?v=glance&n=172282

Don't remember where I bought them online anymore. But there are lots of places to choose from.

The MDR-V6 is a fine pair of headphones. Just make sure you do not get these mixed up with the MDR-V600, which are crap.

Also, I would personally tell you to not go with a 5.1 headphone. They dont sound good and 5.1 inside a headphone is a joke, the only semi way of achieveing this is either through a X-Fi and the CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby HeadphoneSurround(?).

I also should say that Audio-Technica's A500 and A900 are amazing for games. A huge sound stage, very big headphones though. But also very easy to drive.

I highly recommend you visit head-fi.org and use the search function. There are tons of threads to look through from people who really know what they're talking about.

Open headphones, if you want the best sound quality possible.
Closed headphone, if you know you are going to use them in noisy environments, where the sound quality gained by an open headphone would be drowned out anyway.

The Alessandro MS-1 has very good sound for the money.
It's a tweaked Grado SR-80, and it costs less than that model if you live outside the US to boot.
You can only buy them here: http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

The Grado sound is, to my ears neutral and very precise, where as the Sennheiser sound is more leaned back and mellow (which can be nice for some types of music).

For closed headphones I would choose in-ear plugs.
In that category the Sennheiser CX-300 has had very good reviews.

I like my Grado SR80s, but I've never tried them on my computer. Not sure if those small headphone jacks will drive them well enough.

Scott_Arm said:
I like my Grado SR80s, but I've never tried them on my computer. Not sure if those small headphone jacks will drive them well enough.

Depends on your card. Grados from my experience are easy to drive for decent sound, but you need a decent dedicated headphone amp to get full enjoyment out of them.

One thing out Grados is that they suck for games, the total lack of sound stage blows for games. And I personally cant stand how bright they sound. Alessandro's though are very nice, MS-1 :love:

I agree that something in the price range of Sennheiser PX100s is a good choice for PC use. Not only decent sound but very light and comfortable.

You can also consider getting a headset if you are likely to be thinking about either VoIP or online gaming (e.g. ventrillo, teamspeak).

As for PCs and use of good headphones : You definitely won't get full use of a pair of top end Sennheiser 5xx series. e.g. the HD580 sounds rather lacklustre through a PC because it simply can't get the power it needs. A good headphone amp, on the other hand :D

I personally dont recommend headsets ever for PC use. Good headphones and a cheap desktop mic are a much better combo.

Skrying said:
Depends on your card. Grados from my experience are easy to drive for decent sound, but you need a decent dedicated headphone amp to get full enjoyment out of them.

One thing out Grados is that they suck for games, the total lack of sound stage blows for games. And I personally cant stand how bright they sound. Alessandro's though are very nice, MS-1 :love:

I think the SR80 is a great cheap "high-end" headphone. I've never heard the MS-1, but it's basically an SR80, isn't it?

I can't afford the real high-end stuff, so I don't know what things are like in that range. I know I've never really liked the Sennheiser's I've listened to.

Scott_Arm said:
I think the SR80 is a great cheap "high-end" headphone. I've never heard the MS-1, but it's basically an SR80, isn't it?

I can't afford the real high-end stuff, so I don't know what things are like in that range. I know I've never really liked the Sennheiser's I've listened to.

The MS-1, and for that matter all of the Alessandro cans, are generally a bit more neutral than the normal Grados. Mainly they dont have overlly bright sound, I refer to them as the Grado for people who dont like Grados. I personally enjoy the MS-1 a good amount, the SR-80 is just to bright for me, I love the impact of Grados though.

I cant afford real high end stuff either, I tons of listening though. Try to get around and find various stores or people who also enjoy audiophile equipment.

Skrying said:
The MS-1, and for that matter all of the Alessandro cans, are generally a bit more neutral than the normal Grados. Mainly they dont have overlly bright sound, I refer to them as the Grado for people who dont like Grados. I personally enjoy the MS-1 a good amount, the SR-80 is just to bright for me, I love the impact of Grados though.

I cant afford real high end stuff either, I tons of listening though. Try to get around and find various stores or people who also enjoy audiophile equipment.

I can see what people mean when they say Grados sound bright, but I think some people really exaggerate it when they say certain music is unlistenable. Maybe the next time I look for headphones I'll check out the MS-1, but my Grados are gonna have to last me a pretty long time. I'm not makin' the big bucks yet.

Back