Where would you most like to eat a meal?

In which country would you most like to have a meal?

• Total voters
I figure there would be more indian restaurants in england than in germany. So.... I voted england.

epic

epicstruggle said:
I figure there would be more indian restaurants in england than in germany. So.... I voted england.

epic

Actually the Brits eat a lot of Indian food. A couple of years back it came top of the list for "favourite British meal". Mmmm, that reminds me, I should get down to Southall for an Indian more often...

I truly HATE anything with Curry...

Comparing english and german food (without taking foreign food into account of course) I think the choice is pretty clear.

I can't vote.

I'd rather eat in England due to its ethnic diversity.

But if I were forced into choosing local fare, Germany wins hands down.

RussSchultz said:
I can't vote.

I'd rather eat in England due to its ethnic diversity.

But if I were forced into choosing local fare, Germany wins hands down.

You can eat lots of ethnic stuff in Germany too, IMO Germany wins by a mile (or many miles) . I live in UK and was in Germany many times, but of course this is my Croatian taste speaking.

PatrickL said:
Is it even possible to make a meal with original english food ?

Of course it is. Apparently the Finns really love English food, much better than what they get at home. Ask your big-mouthed President, he'll fill you in on the details.

The thread the OP refers to isn't about "Where would you most like to eat a meal?". This poll is little more than a blatant attempt at manipulation.

The question should be:
"If you had to pick between British food and German food, which one would you chose?".

L233 said:
The thread the OP refers to isn't about "Where would you most like to eat a meal?". This poll is little more than a blatant attempt at manipulation.

The question should be:
"If you had to pick between British food and German food, which one would you chose?".

That's why I reference the original thread. :rolleyes: I'm trying to take in the whole gamut of what is now considered to be British food in Britain.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Gerry said:
PatrickL said:

What on earth is that meant to mean?

I think he means that there is so much varied food that is eaten by British mainstream that comes from all over the world as a matter of course, what can you now consider "British food"?

Oh I don't think so, that was a French side-swipe.

Gerry said:
PatrickL said:

What on earth is that meant to mean?

probably, what is British food?

To me fish and chips, baked beans on toast, and sausages and eggs (or British breakfast)... but how can that be national cousine is a good question

IMO Britain is the worst country in the world for food. The indians are saving it, but I didn't grow up on indian food for it to be everyday food for me.

There are two thing that I really don't like about UK and I wish to be somewhere else.

1. Food
2. weather

However there are many other things that are good, but those two are like OMG!!! how can they live like that all the time. The Brits are apparently happy with "green" fruit. Crap tasteless watermelons - people buy them. Plastic tomatoes, dry oranges, dry apples, pears like stone, tasteless strawberries, green peaches, green apricots, sour grapes and many many more. These are my local Tesco/waitrose/sainsbury/asda regular offers. I mean when it happens that the fruit actually tastes like it should I go back and buy A LOT as I know this will not happen again in a long time.

To get a good watermelon I used to go to London each summer, as there you can actually get "normal" watermelons, I guess a lot of foreigners live there so there is a market, but for regular brits the crap that is being sold in teh Supermarkets is OK too.

This is the same when people living in tropical areas come to Europe and wander how can we eat those bananas, they simply taste awful to them, but we have not know any better. This I assume is the same for Brits, they were not really exposed too much how the fruit/vegetables really taste in normal (warm) climate and they are used to this.

This goes on to food, even Italian restaurants in UK taste crap as well I guess those Italians here can afford themselves to work like lazy slobs and still people will eat their food that they prepare. The notable exceptions are one Chineze couple that prepares Fish and Chips in our village they actually use "normal" potatoes to make fries, and not those crap premade frozen ones "tesco savers" variety, so they are great, and the Indian restaurants. For the indian ones, as I have never been to India and I have no idea about the real stuff (apart from one time the guys were were outsourcing the department to prepared at home a "real Indian" dinner for us - which tasted great too). They said as well that Indian food in UK doesn't taste really good. :LOL:

So that is is. Food in UK: depressing just like the weather, only worse. There are sunny days here too, but for real food you need to go to London or France and that is all folks.

I am finding out as well that I am becoming more like a Brit and eat just about anything as I have barely been out of UK in the last 5 years :?

I'm trying to take in the whole gamut of what is now considered to be British food in Britain.
No, you're trying to redifine British food as anything that's served in Britian, even if it's Indian or whatever.

L233 said:
I'm trying to take in the whole gamut of what is now considered to be British food in Britain.
No, you're trying to redifine British food as anything that's served in Britian, even if it's Indian or whatever.

Remember you were the one redefining German tastes by reeling off all the different resturants in your town serving food from other countries.

Hmm, so I guess no one can have potatoes except for the South Americans, no one can have anything that include caine sugar unless they live in Africa or Barbados, and the Italians are out of luck with anything pasta, as that was brought back from the Far East by Marco Polo. Nothing spicy, because spices all came from the Middle East. Nothing with rice unless you come from Asia and the far east.

Druga Runda said:
The Brits are apparently happy with "green" fruit. Crap tasteless watermelons - people buy them. Plastic tomatoes, dry oranges, dry apples, pears like stone, tasteless strawberries, green peaches, green apricots, sour grapes and many many more. These are my local Tesco/waitrose/sainsbury/asda regular offers. I mean when it happens that the fruit actually tastes like it should I go back and buy A LOT as I know this will not happen again in a long time.

Actually this is a big bugbear of mine with British ingredients. After rationing in the war, people got used to crap tasting ingredients. Then we had intensive farming as part of rebuilding after the war, which produced bigger, more disease resistant fruit and veg but at the cost of taste. Then we've had the supermarket chains pushing intensive farming even harder and controling large portion of the food market by insisting on cheaper and cheaper food (like fatter chickens).

It's slowly been changing over the last few years, and if you know where to shop you can get good tasting ingredients, but a lot of it is down to the fact that we lost a lot of our small producers and retailers, and we were prepared to put up with intensively farmed food after the war.

Back