What's the big deal about changing to capital letters?

Reverend

Banned
Well, Geo certainly looks more authoritative/mature/grown-up than geo to me! :) I'm curious about the reason behind the change though... Geo?

Sorry, I'm just a bit bored :)

[edit]PS. Like I said, I'm feeling a bit bored and I don't mean anything nasty regarding the subject thread title (just wanted to grab your attention, that's all !). I don't know if reverend would be perceived any differently than Reverend (I'll still be the same old nasty SOB from time to time!) or if there'd be any perceived difference between rys and Rys ! Just curious about the difference a capital letter may have in a forum username...

Last edited:
"Geo" would actually be the name I typically go by during the day (it is, for instance, what my wife calls me). It is to "George" what "Will" is to William or "Rob" to Robert. I don't even recall why I made it "geo" when I started here. Some of the other guys (Uttar, TheBaron, and Vysez) did much more wholesale changes to get to their actual names, so as much as anything I changed mine in token solidarity with my colleagues.

SOLIDARNOSC!
thumbup.gif

Since it is derived from George, do you pronounce it Joe/Jo? Or like geography? I've always pronounced it (in my head, I don't go around speaking other people's handles in my daily life :D) like geography.

Also, where is Uffda-land? Scandinavian settled North America? We don't call Norway for Uffda-land, even though the politics would deserve it from time to time.

Some of the other guys (Uttar, TheBaron, and Vysez) did much more wholesale changes to get to their actual names, so as much as anything I changed mine in token solidarity with my colleagues.
To be honest, I didn't notice those three had new "real" usernames... I'd always paid more attention to your posts. Why did they change, and why did you feel it necessary to follow suit? Just curios, of course, as I mentioned, I prefer the new G ! :)

PS. Can I change my username to my real name?

You can use this thread in Site Feedback, Reverend.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37555
I would if I could but sadly I have been deemed far too dangerous to participate in that forum (the ban for that specific forum was implemented for quite a while now FYI). And to be absolutely honest, I won't complain because there'd be less for me to be concerned about, which is always a good thing since I'm having more time for my son! :)

In fact, today is the first day in a week I have been able to post in the forums due to a week-long ban (I certainly appreciate the temporary ban) for a joke I posted in the new "Industry Jobs" forum ("A Hire Solution" = "A Hi Resolution" was basically all that my post/joke consisted of). I deserve that because I didn't read the sticky in that new forum like everyone else surely must have.

I would if I could but sadly I have been deemed far too dangerous to participate in that forum (the ban for that specific forum was implemented for quite a while now FYI). And to be absolutely honest, I won't complain because there'd be less for me to be concerned about, which is always a good thing since I'm having more time for my son! :)

In fact, today is the first day in a week I have been able to post in the forums due to a week-long ban (I certainly appreciate the temporary ban) for a joke I posted in the new "Industry Jobs" forum ("A Hire Solution" = "A Hi Resolution" was basically all that my post/joke consisted of). I deserve that because I didn't read the sticky in that new forum like everyone else surely must have.
It's only because we love you that we smack your bum a little bit harder than most. And let's not tell everyone how you got on with me in email after your ban took effect though, eh, since it's probably best I play the villain this time ;)

And yes, of course you can have your name changed, and the rules for that are the same as everyone else: it can't clash with another user name on the board and it can't be offensive, both conditions to be determined as satisfied by us. Match those and I'll get it done shortly.

So you *can* change my name to:
"Kruno the demystifying Mage of mathematics"?

It's only because we love you that we smack your bum a little bit harder than most. And let's not tell everyone how you got on with me in email after your ban took effect though, eh, since it's probably best I play the villain this time ;)

And yes, of course you can have your name changed, and the rules for that are the same as everyone else: it can't clash with another user name on the board and it can't be offensive, both conditions to be determined as satisfied by us. Match those and I'll get it done shortly.

Since it is derived from George, do you pronounce it Joe/Jo? Or like geography? I've always pronounced it (in my head, I don't go around speaking other people's handles in my daily life :D) like geography.

Also, where is Uffda-land? Scandinavian settled North America? We don't call Norway for Uffda-land, even though the politics would deserve it from time to time.

I pronounce it like the initials G. O.

"Uffda-land" is my little in-joke for Minnesota, and yes that would be the heart of "Scandinavian settled North America" (Duluth and up the north shore of Lake Superior is often referred to jokingly as "the Norwegian Riviera").

I find this plethora of recent name changes mightily confusing... And all these old-new personae "feel" different, for example hupfinsgack made me think of Austria. StefanS does nothing...
Meh! ;)

It's only because we love you that we smack your bum a little bit harder than most.
Sounds contradictory and counter-productive but I've had time to think about this and I do believe you guys tolerate me as much you do because you do love me :D

Nah, I've changed my mind; Reverend is irreplaceable :LOL: :cool: :devilish:

I'd appreciate it if (all) the B3D staff/mods stated their old and new usernames.

Sorry for bringing this thread back up but since I'm banned from the Site Feedback forum (where there must exist a thread that explains this) and that this is important to me, I'd appreciate it if one of the B3D staff took the time to reply to my query unless he deems this unnecessary.

Again, sorry for bringing this back up. I have given up on expecting email replies from the B3D staff (which is what I would have preferred instead of this thread-reply of mine) unless I'm abusive towards any of them :) ;)

Thanks.

Back