What is the possibility of PS3 specs changing over time?

Link

The Cell chip can reach a processing-performance level of 16 teraflops, or 16 trillion calculations per second. In contrast, a general-purpose PC typically has a rating of only a few billion operations per second.

:devilish:

"It looks as though there was a mistranslation, and that the prices listed were for a Blu-Ray player, which means that we still don't know what the PlayStation 3 will cost," said gaming expert Paul Jackson, an analyst at Forrester Research.

:LOL:

Deepak said:
Link

The Cell chip can reach a processing-performance level of 16 teraflops, or 16 trillion calculations per second. In contrast, a general-purpose PC typically has a rating of only a few billion operations per second.

:devilish:

"It looks as though there was a mistranslation, and that the prices listed were for a Blu-Ray player, which means that we still don't know what the PlayStation 3 will cost," said gaming expert Paul Jackson, an analyst at Forrester Research.

:LOL:

1. I could have sworn PCs reached trillions of calculations per second a while ago, especially if you count the video card.
2. This "$800 system" marketting fud is just as ridiculous as the "ps2 is a super computer that will fire nuclear missiles" hype. The hardware in the PS3, compared to the xbox360, isn't even advanced enough to warrant anything over a $500 launch price, and I expect the launch price will be $400 anyway. This isn't a 3do or a movie player, this is heavily subsidized game system, using a gpu that's probably roughly on par with the xbox 360's, and a cpu that's a bit more advanced, and will have access to much better production processes by the time it actually launches than the xbox 360 had.

Fox5 said:
2. This "$800 system" marketting fud is just as ridiculous as the "ps2 is a super computer that will fire nuclear missiles" hype. The hardware in the PS3, compared to the xbox360, isn't even advanced enough to warrant anything over a $500 launch price.

You'll see boxes with less capability than PS3 selling for $1000+ this summer.

In certain key regards, PS3 is a lot more advanced, a prime example being the optical disc technology. That'll still be very cutting edge stuff when it comes to the market in Nov.

I'd expect PS3 to be not a penny less than $500. Very possibly more, including the HDD.

Back