What do you prefer for games: Framerates and Resolutions? [2020]

What would you prioritize?

• Total voters
As I only have one display that can output 60Hz I want capped 30hz modes with options to change to a performance mode for 60Hz or higher(for futureproofing). And since my 60Hz TV is also the only 4K TV, so I would want 1080p @ 30Hz standard. Now again I would want modes for higher resolution too. If I had to pick 4k60 vs 4k30. I would definitely pick the latter & then give me extra eye candy.

Tommy McClain

I have never played a game at 30fps that didn't offer a superior experience when played at 60fps. The significance varies from game to game, but in general I would rather dial down some settings, especially resolution to get 60fps. Many games are still very enjoyable at 30fps, and as long as its a stable framerate, it works just fine, but without question it would be even better at a solid 60fps. Resolution is a bit overated to me. If you game on a large display sitting close, then resolution will be more important, but for my I am about 8 ft from my 42" LCD, so regardless if its 4k or 1080p, its not going to be a significant benefit. Hell, even 720p looks good at that distance.

On the pc you can cache on the main ram and stream from there to the gpu at 5 times the speed of the ps5's ssd, an above all on pc you can scale based on your setup

Just wait for those RTX3080Ti demos. I think the rebirth (and the other demos) where already impressive, much more so then the linear demo of yesterday.

MS has had access to UE5 for some time. They showcased HellBlade 2 on it. People determined it was a CGI render, no possible way it could be real time. But now after UE5 tech is revealed and HB2 is running on it, they now know what's up. Everyone is just doing their best to sell their product. No harm being done here.

You're still going to get great graphics on PS5, people are still going to be very happy with their product.

In that case, HellBlade 2 demo > UE5 tech demo from yesterday. Not only the vast massive draw distances, but also character detail etc, it had so much more. Hats of to Epic/UnrealEngine, surpassed everything else, hell even UE4 was mighty impressive. Rockstar no longer at the top (untill GTA6? :p)

:D

In that case, HellBlade 2 demo > UE5 tech demo from yesterday. Not only the vast massive draw distances, but also character detail etc, it had so much more. Hats of to Epic/UnrealEngine, surpassed everything else, hell even UE4 was mighty impressive. Rockstar no longer at the top (untill GTA6? :p)

:D
acutally under discussion with some members on messages, it could very well (and likely is) UE4 as we don't know how long in development it's been. They would know about UE5 and be presented by Epic the path to take (or ensure not to take) if theyt want to migrate when it's available for them. I assume with games being available on both PC and XSX, this is the desired outcome, it's just going to cost them much less in the long run.

Depending on the game type and performance.

If it's unstable 60, I prefer rock solid 30.

If it's 30 with bad frame pacing, I prefer unstable 60.

If it have tons of panning (side scroller, isometric, etc), or action, I prefer 60

By preferring 60, I'm good with sacrificing resolution and or visual quality

Not to be an asshole, or at least not trying to, but my simplistic answer is just: marketing.
So you're just going to dismiss the statements of an independent developer and the team behind one of the most successful multiplatform engines for decades? Sure.. you do that. :yep2:

Epic marketing their engine, sure. Why would Epic be interested in marketing Sony's propriety storage tech? :???:

After having played Re2 remake at 1080p@60fps I would say 60fps whenever possible. I tried 1440p and 4k but couldn't notice much/if any difference on my 55" tv. Most people sit quite far from their TV so I'd say for most 1080p@60fps with everything turned up to 11 probably gives a nicer image and nicer gameplay than 30fps but a higher resolution with maybe some settings turned down as well.

Not to be an asshole, or at least not trying to, but my simplistic answer is just: marketing.
You always want people talking about your best foot forward. PS5 made the marketing point about how their SSD can't even be matched on PC. That's teh appeal.

I don't see why epic would make a big deal about it for marketing purposes and I don't see how Cerney will be targeting a minimum 5GB/s for shits and giggles. Cerney has proven that his really good at predicting or knowing in which direction development is going.

Regarding the frame rate or resolution discussion its a blend of I would take 1440p at 60fps rather than 4k 30fps everytime but for certain games I would take 1440p 30fps for amazing graphics and dynamic worlds.

So there we go, 1440p 30fps if games want to look a generation ahead. That's without ray tracing and no NPC's/lush environments beyond rocks and caves (death stranding). Not going to flock many pc gamers. Atleast theres an excuse for a 'Pro' then, with a more powerfull GPU.

For single-player 3rd-person experiences, 1440p plus upscaling at 30FPS like we saw in the UE5 demo seems excellent, as long as there's decent motion blur (object based?).
I don't think people give enough credit to how good motion blur provides a sense of faster framerates.

Also, on TVs with VRR we might actually see that most of the "steady 30 FPS" games are actually running at 40-50FPS most of the time, which also changes both the input latency and motion perception.

All true, but that's exactly what pc gamers dont want, motion blur to compensate etc, and a 'steady 30'. I could see it working in the console space though, for the mentioned games atleast. With the notion that there seems to be a rise in console gamers wanting 60fps.
Many speculated awhile ago that 4k60 was basically a minimum for next gen.

30fps from a custom engine may be okay, but UE has traditionally been very laggy and not a good experience.
Besides cool tech demos UE4 has always felt like crap at 30fps (Jedi Fallen Order being the worst offender recently for me & the unlocked "60fps" mode isn't much better either). 60fps is the way to go & so far only the Coalition managed to pull this of perfectly with Gears 5.
The engine's overabundant use of temporal accumulation for many of its effects is what's hurting.

So you're just going to dismiss the statements of an independent developer and the team behind one of the most successful multiplatform engines for decades? Sure.. you do that. :yep2:

Epic marketing their engine, sure. Why would Epic be interested in marketing Sony's propriety storage tech? :???:
Sony has a marketing contract with UE right now. This much is known.

I think there could be lots to talk about with respect to Sony's system. But the SSD speed keeps coming up, keeps coming back. It's not to say that Tim doesn't want to say more, but I feel like he's bound to talk about and only about their SSD. Sony's SSD is a game changer in terms of speed and performance, is there nothing else to say about Sony's system? Or is he only bound to keep repeating what's being repeated. He can't talk about Xbox, he can't talk about PC performance.

I'm not saying that when he say's it's a great product that is a lie. I'm saying there's more to be said among other things, but he's only allowed to discuss the SSD.

Sony has a marketing contract with UE right now. This much is known.
but he's only allowed to discuss the SSD.

Hm, it makes sense as to why. It is sony's only hardware advantage (transfer speed), if you have a marketing contract, your going to highlight your advantages, not the disadvantages. In hindsight, the advantage might not even be that big, considering both have gone with different ways to obtain the same end result in storage speed (raw speed vs better compression tech). One might be better suited for developers though (sony's).

In hindsight, the advantage might not even be that big, considering both have gone with different ways to obtain the same end result in storage speed (raw speed vs better compression tech). One might be better suited for developers though (sony's).

That's not true. I think I've seen you state sentiments to this effect a few times now, and I don't understand why.

XSX = 2.4GB/s raw and 4.8GB/s compressed

PS5 = 5.5GB/s raw and 8-9GB/s compressed

Compare like for like and it's not at all the case that each have gone with different ways to achieve the same end result. Each has prioritised different aspects of their systems.

Yes, MS's compression tech is better if it's always 2:1 and we've no evidence to suggest that won't be the case. But 1.46:1 to 1.64:1 is no slouch either, especially combined with a higher raw speed.

Now, it may not see all that much use in multiplatform games - we'll have to wait and see - because it may be the case that developers focus primarily on how to get the most out of the XSX's compressed 4.8GB/s and just use the PS5's raw 5.5GB/s, given that it has headroom.

That said, if developers compress textures on the XSX version of games with BCPack, it stands to reason that they would compress the textures of PS5 games with Kraken.

It's likely to become more pronounced as the generation goes on, but I still predict that, in multiplatform games, this will predominantly be used to stream in a greater variance of textures that will mostly manifest as - using GTA as an example - greater variety in NPC's and cars, albeit the same quantity.

And it will matter as much as the XSX's 15% resolution advantage: not at all.

Back