What are th ebest spyware and adware removal tools?

Sonic

Veteran
I keep having spyware come on my system after running both Adaware and Spybot numerous times to remove these things.

One program seems to be Popular Screensavers that always opens up an IE page and is so annoying. Another is Cool Web Search that nothing can get rid of. I try to get rid of it and it's ok for half an hour and then it comes back. I really think I will need a fresh install, but the pain of doing that and reinstalling over 100 applications is just too much to think of. I have tried using CWS edit program for cool web search but that doesn't do the trick either.

Also, when I go into the processes runnign section there are a few things that run that says access denied. And this is my administrator account on XP, is there anyway to get those privileges back? This is all so very frustrating to me and I am turning to this informed community to help me in whatever way you can. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I can't help you much with getting rid of the infestation you've got beyond what you've already tried -- I've only used AdAware and Spybot, from what I've read they're two of the best out there, though others may have differing opinions.

The best approach is to tackle the problem at source. Either stop using IE altogether (see the thread on Firefox in ths forum, there's Opera too that some people swear by), or at the very least disable ActiveX in the IE security panel.

Anyway, when I run AdAware or Spybot on my box I get very few hits beyond the usual pile of tracking cookies (which I don't really care too much about). I don't run IE, I run Firefox. This may be the reason I'm fairly clean, or maybe I'm just lucky, I have no idea.

+1 for Adaware. I never really get spyware/adware, but when I do it has always been able to get me clean (provided you click the free update button before scanning, of course).

ok i am now a mini expert on this crap, b/c it pissed me off to no extent a few weeks ago.

Here are the programs you want.. (get ALL of them)

adaware
spybot
Spysweeper (imo the best)
Hijackthis
CWshredder
SpyGuard
SpywareBlaster
Vx2finder

optional (pestpatrol)

Make sure to run in safe mode, as the malware will actually detect the programs running and attempt to stop them.

Make sure to go through each programs options, and enable everything.. have it sweep all your files, and max protection.. Make sure to delete all the backups of the crap, after you are sure your pc is still running smoothly.

Now the nasty part.. They will come back, even with all those things above. You'll need to disable system restore, until you know for sure they are gone. If you still have problems (I did), you'll need to do some manual tinkering and likely booting off a cd.

OT- I always get alexa when I use IE(before I have firefox installed) wtf.. I don't even do any stuff that stupid noobs do, just browed a few sites, updated windows, ran adware and thereis was, staring me down.

Is it better to boot into a safe mode and run the ad-removal tools there?
Do they find and delete the adware better if run in safe mode?
...of course I could just try it myself to find out, but I rarely switch off my PC and I'm lazy to do it now.

rabidrabbit said:
Is it better to boot into a safe mode and run the ad-removal tools there?
Do they find and delete the adware better if run in safe mode?
...of course I could just try it myself to find out, but I rarely switch off my PC and I'm lazy to do it now.

the spyware apps usually arnt running in safe mode and thus are easier to remove, prolly wont have to restart to fully clean them

Crisidelm said:
After looking at the link, I reiterate: I haven't had Alexa for the last two years...

Still doesn't change the fact that Alexa is MS's doing does it? I didn't think so...

I haven't had a flat tire for the last two years, but does that mean that a flat tire isn't caused by the leakage of air out of the tire? :LOL:

Back