the icelandic musican and riteholder association are proposing a special charge on

argor

Newcomer
the icelandic musican and riteholders association (STEF) are proposing a special charge on every Internet connection
in iceland and in return every one would get a free access to music
the money would go into a special fund and would then be distributed to copyright holders.

one of the largest isp in iceland siminn say the idea needs to be refined lilted more before the company can take a stand on it

see http://www.visir.is/siminn-vill-nanari-utfaerslu-a-internetskatti-/article/2010488286385

for those that cant speak icelandic here is a badly google translate version http://translate.google.is/translat...refox-a&hs=5UX&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official

i am icelandic and i kinda like this idea but i will take a wait and see what this turns into

Command economy ... I don't think that makes it automatically bad, but it's command economy nonetheless.

Doesn't really say much, the distribution of funds would be the most important factor and would probably kill any chance of anything like this happening as no one would be able to agree.

Would have to be done by download statistics really, with government determining the fees.

I say no, because I don't like it when private companies and special interest groups working for private companies want to insert legislation that allows them to legally reach into my wallet and help themselves to my money without offering anything whatsoever in return.

So how do they decide to distribute the money?
i would assume that they would do it the same as they do with royalties from radio and film
like with radio stations they pay maximum fee deiced by number of broadcasting hours and how many users can listen to it
so the ips would give list from the special site and the money would be distribute on what the user listen to

Grall said:
I say no, because I don't like it when private companies and special interest groups working for private companies want to insert legislation that allows them to legally reach into my wallet and help themselves to my money without offering anything whatsoever in return.

Agreed!

I also don't like the fact that everybody would get charged, no matter if they download music or not

Back