Welp It's Official - SCEF president: PS3 launch details at E3

Sure, but the point is Blu Ray is a new and expensive technology, versus a standard DVD drive, with much more that could cause supply issues.

And Cell is 250 million transistors, and Kutaragi has already mentioned it's challenging to Fab. It has also not yet been mass produced, something that you dont worry about with say RSX.

RSX should be about on par with Xenos for fabbing difficulty, etc.

Sure, they'll get it down eventually, but those are two items that could be sticking points IMO at first.

randycat99 said:
You forgot to include detail: "X360 premium (missing 100 GFlops, no BR, no WIFI, no SACD, no digital-video-out, let alone two, half the USB ports, no Bluetooth, no switch, no general removeable media support etc. etc.) $399". :p

Fixed :p

Daryl said:
Sure, but the point is Blu Ray is a new and expensive technology, versus a standard DVD drive, with much more that could cause supply issues.

And Cell is 250 million transistors, and Kutaragi has already mentioned it's challenging to Fab. It has also not yet been mass produced, something that you dont worry about with say RSX.

RSX should be about on par with Xenos for fabbing difficulty, etc.

Sure, they'll get it down eventually, but those are two items that could be sticking points IMO at first.

They have been fabbing Cell for quite some time now. Plus they have the advantage of being able to disable one SPE for yeilds.

The RSX at >300M transistors is an even bigger chip using the same process. I don't know why you think it will be easier to fab than the Cell. Nvidia has not mass produced it's any of their 300M+ class chip at 90nm yet.

fireshot said:
I will take the missing 100GFlops and BR, Sony can keep the rest. People will buy for the games and not some poor swiss knife cousin to the PC. DS says hi!

You dislike value? You like upgrading?

Hardknock said:
Le Sigh. Check my above post.

Also you must have missed this part of my post:

:rolleyes:
We already got that, we were told PS3 would launch in Spring. I believe we also got PSP launch info all the way back in 2004. This is completely different from actually getting launch details, which have always been staggered. Not sure what you are expecting when the track record speaks for itself. PEACE.

inefficient said:
They have been fabbing Cell for quite some time now. Plus they have the advantage of being able to disable one SPE for yeilds.

The RSX at >300M transistors is an even bigger chip using the same process. I don't know why you think it will be easier to fab than the Cell. Nvidia has not mass produced it's any of their 300M+ class chip at 90nm yet.

Yes, they have been fabbing Cell for a while, but the question is can you ship with six fans in the box !? I'd be surprised if Sony ships any earlier than June in any territory. Even if the hardware is ready by then, the software side of things is still undergoing radical changes that will need to settle before anyone can ship a game.

AlphaWolf said:
you expect the ps3 to be cheaper?
Nope. $400 or so is what I expect. Bundled software is probably what they'll do with the better SKU. I have a feeling that they're trying to drop the price of the core SKU as fast as possible, so I do not expect a bundle with that.

Launch

Barbarian said:
Yes, they have been fabbing Cell for a while, but the question is can you ship with six fans in the box !? I'd be surprised if Sony ships any earlier than June in any territory. Even if the hardware is ready by then, the software side of things is still undergoing radical changes that will need to settle before anyone can ship a game.

I think normal for Sony is June in Japan and September in US no? So maybe PS3 is also same.

Is everyone forgetting about a simple detail....

HDMI today can't carry 1080p today. If it can, then it's a very recent thing.

PS3 won't be released until 1080p HDMI is finalised and commercially viable, since without that half of its premise would die. I'm sure that will happen soon.

london-boy said:
Is everyone forgetting about a simple detail....

HDMI today can't carry 1080p today. If it can, then it's a very recent thing.

PS3 won't be released until 1080p HDMI is finalised and commercially viable, since without that half of its premise would die. I'm sure that will happen soon.

A HDMI cable today I think can carry 1080p/30? But not 1080p/60? You can use two cables for the latter. I think that's why they were using twin HDMI-plugs for the 1080p/60 Blu-ray playback demo at CES.

But yes, Kutaragi has said he'd like PS3 to be compliant with the next HDMI spec if at all possible, which is due in the next couple of months.

Back