Warhawk discussion*

Gradthrawn

Veteran
Deepbrown and I have been throwing the idea of a B3D Warhawk clan around and want to get one started. Since it seems we have a few players here at B3D that enjoy it quite a bit it might be a good idea. First, we need clan name. Second, we need a clan leader. Idealy, the clan leader should have a good amount of experience with the game (to help teach clan members), and be willing to deal with the administrative duties associated with being clan leader such as scheduling clan events and dealing with membership related issues. How serious of a clan this is will be is up to all of us. At a minimum, I figure it could be a good place to train and learn strategies from others. So, any ideas about clan leaders, names, events, etc please share them here.

Membership Status: Last Update (10/07/07)

Current Clan Members:
deepbrown (Deep the Deserter!)
CuttlefishJones
Opposed
niwrA
Darthrawn
hank_scorpio
hmizer
Sindress
Scuzzlebutt33
AnthonyNPutson
Jaeyden

Currently Invited:
patsu (Draft Dodger! :p:LOL:)
RagedHero
suzukastar

To Be Invited:
x-QUACK-x

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have 3 more Lair missions to go, and 3.5 more Heavenly Sword chapters to beat. Stayed up the entire night for gaming. >_<

Sometime next week, I should be able to set up a Warhawk server on one of my clients' open network. Hope to see you guys there.

I'm so up for this. Not particularly good in my warhawk (who is??) but I'm pretty nifty on foot.

My only issue is getting on regularly enough to be any use.

Patsu you've had long enough with Lair!

Ok. Of course count me in. The Tag should be B3D for sure. I need to learn to use motion controls in Warhawks! I'd say I'm nifty on foot as well.

:LOL: I want to know the ending !

The "Find Water" level and that frigging dam in Deadman's Basin were pretty tough to nail for different reasons. I can appreciate good game design a lot more after playing them. ;-) The game plays like an uncut diamond, which intrigues me to no end.

Heavenly Sword on the other hand is simply amazing. The best thing about the game is the character cast. The villians (acting) are a blast to watch and defeat. The game is really well balanced. I really really like it. It's like eating my favorite dessert :LOL:

SIXAXIS is actually tougher to master in HS than in Lair, but I think I am getting better. It should prepare me for Warhawk, so I don't feel rushed to play it. I look forward to play with/against the GAF clan though.

Yer I just got Warhawk yesterday, I tell you its a very addictive game, but yer what he said...

i usually just play games for fun and dont join clans. otherwise i would!

Plus I only play on the lowest ping servers and in Australia there aren't many

I try the EU servers first because of low ping, but it`s easier to get onto an AU one because they`re less packed.
And most of the time it works quite well for being on the other side of the world.

SIXAXIS is actually tougher to master in HS than in Lair, but I think I am getting better. It should prepare me for Warhawk, so I don't feel rushed to play it. I look forward to play with/against the GAF clan though.
controlling the warhawks with the motion controller isn't really hard, but people are so good now that it takes a while to get good enough to compete with others. i've played for a few days now and i still struggle to stay around 1:1 K/D in dogfight matches (warhawks only). i am, however, pretty good on foot so for other match types (CTF, Zones etc) i usually stay on foot. the game really is a blast to play and its growing on me... very addicting.

controlling the warhawks with the motion controller isn't really hard, but people are so good now that it takes a while to get good enough to compete with others. i've played for a few days now and i still struggle to stay around 1:1 K/D in dogfight matches (warhawks only). i am, however, pretty good on foot so for other match types (CTF, Zones etc) i usually stay on foot. the game really is a blast to play and its growing on me... very addicting.

Yeah, 1:1 K/D is what I would realistically aim for. Most likely I would do much much worse during the first few weeks. The beta already trained a group of experienced pilots, so I lost my first mover advantage anyway.

I am more interested to try out game hosting for now. Picking up Warhawk for me would be a long and calm process given my current work and gaming load :)

I've seen a couple of comments about the motion control. Can someone sum up in one easy-peasy sentence why I should stop using the sticks and move to motion? I hadn't even considered it but I'm getting the impression that there's some inherent benefit...

I've seen a couple of comments about the motion control. Can someone sum up in one easy-peasy sentence why I should stop using the sticks and move to motion? I hadn't even considered it but I'm getting the impression that there's some inherent benefit...

I've tried to explain this before, but I'll give it a go.

There are three major analog inputs you can give to a Warhawk.

In full flight mode:

1. Basic directional flight
2. Additional turning of the flaps that for instance can make you do rolls independently of 1, as well as amplify your turns.
3. aim your lock on marker / gun

In hover mode:

1. Aiming your field of view
2. strafing your warhawk forward, backward, sideways
3. aiming your lock on marker / gun

Since each of these individually require one full analog stick to use, if you don't use the motion control, you simply end up one analog stick short. See? It doesn't matter much in the beginning but eventually if you're mastering the thing, then there's more to be gotten from this.

Of course I personally also think that the motion controls are more easy to be precise with and more fun in general, but your mileage may vary.

As for the clan thing, maybe we need to make European and US groups? Otherwise it will be hard to schedule playtime together I think.

In full flight mode:

1. Basic directional flight
2. Additional turning of the flaps that for instance can make you do rolls independently of 1, as well as amplify your turns.
3. aim your lock on marker / gun
but really, you can do 1 and 3 with one stick, you just can't do them at the same time (aim in one direction and fly another). i don't think ill ever get used to flying and moving the analog stick to aim so i just use the motion control to aim my cross-hair on my enemies. personally, i'm just using motion controls now because its fun and i'm used to it now. i think the reason i can't get used to aiming with analog and flying with motion is because the cross-hair defaults back to the center when you let go, so you have to keep your thumb in the position of your target or else move your warhawk to compensate. if you use the motion controls to aim or if you disable motion control and use the one stick for aiming/basic directional flight, its just like any shooter on console, the one stick aims and controls which direction you go.

after playing with motion controls for a few days, i decided to go back to the analog sticks to see what it was like again. i found that after getting used to motion controls, my aim is now as good as it is with analog sticks. i also found that the motion controls allowed you to make sharper turns, but using the analog sticks allows you to make quicker movements (if you do quick movements with the sixaxis, it probably won't pick it up). when i first switched back to analog, i also found myself moving the sixaxis because im so used to it. :LOL:

really, i think its just a preference thing. i've seen some people say they like motion either because it allows you to aim with the one stick and fly in other directions, or it just feels more natural to them. some prefer the analog sticks because its easier and they don't want to bother getting used to the motion controls (because the learning curve is so steep).

So guys, when can we expect the first royalties and license fees rolling in? After all, you're using our name... :p

after playing with motion controls for a few days, i decided to go back to the analog sticks to see what it was like again. i found that after getting used to motion controls, my aim is now as good as it is with analog sticks. i also found that the motion controls allowed you to make sharper turns, but using the analog sticks allows you to make quicker movements (if you do quick movements with the sixaxis, it probably won't pick it up). when i first switched back to analog, i also found myself moving the sixaxis because im so used to it. :LOL:

really, i think its just a preference thing. i've seen some people say they like motion either because it allows you to aim with the one stick and fly in other directions, or it just feels more natural to them. some prefer the analog sticks because its easier and they don't want to bother getting used to the motion controls (because the learning curve is so steep).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back