VR-Zone: NVIDIA MCP77 with 15xUSB/22xPCIe?

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by B3D News, Feb 16, 2008.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

As if NVIDIA's chipset roadmaps weren't confusing enough already, VR-Zone now claims that the firm's competitor to AMD's RS780M for notebooks sports 22xPCIe lanes and 15xUSB ports. And that it's coming in March. Errr, what?

Read the full news item

2. tabs

Veteran

Are they trying to find leaks or what?

3. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I would guess that means one 16x, one 4x, and two 1x for the PCI-E? But why would you need fifteen USB ports? Especially on a mobile chipset.

I want to see low power options, howabout that? It's a MOBILE platform, howabout giving me more battery life, one 8x PCI-E, a few 1x PCI-E's for nics and cardbus devices, and four USB ports? Tada, done.

4. the maddman

Regular

Well, the new laptop's we are getting where I work have 4 external USB ports. And a USB internal GPS, GSM radio, Bluetooth and touchscreen.

I think what's happening is that the ExpressCard spec calls for each of the slots to have PCI-Express 1x and a USB port wired to them, so they need more USB ports, even if they are internal and never used.