Vista licensing also limits benchmarking

A number of vendors have been playing this game for a few years. "By opening this software you agree to the enclosed licence, including our rights to revoke said licence and sue you for incidental damages if you tell people how crap our product is".

Doubtful it's lawful, but of course big companies rely on no one wanting to challenge their expensive pack of attack-lawyers in a long drawn-out court case.

To me, it indicates at the very least a lack of faith in their own product if they are that concerned people may say it has performance "issues".

Doubtful it's lawful, but of course big companies rely on no one wanting to challenge their expensive pack of attack-lawyers in a long drawn-out court case.

Don't know about corporate clients, but it clearly violates consumer law. If you buy a product (even if it is just a license) you are free to speak publically on the experience, that would include how crap it is at running application <x>

Cheers

Im mean, it's forbidden because of .NET 3, and you have to follow the orders of the webpage. Which MS can change whenever they like to.

Essentially, by using Vista, you agree to follow rules that still have to be made and can be changed at a whim.

The software includes one or more components of the .NET Framework 3.0 (".NET Components"). You may conduct internal benchmark testing of those components. You may disclose the results of any benchmark test of those components, provided that you comply with the conditions set forth at (URL)

That's not how I read this quote.

I read it as:
Vista contains components of the .NET framework and you may benchmark those components and disclose the results of any benchmark test of those components if you comply with the conditions etc etc.

How would you know if a benchmark you ran used one of those components? They're embedded in the OS. You don't have to run a .NET 3 program to use them.

Im mean, it's forbidden because of .NET 3, and you have to follow the orders of the webpage. Which MS can change whenever they like to.

Essentially, by using Vista, you agree to follow rules that still have to be made and can be changed at a whim.

At present, by using Vista, you agree to use an OS that still has to be made and can be changed at a whim. :LOL:

Don't use beta software if you aren't gonna comply.

How would you know if a benchmark you ran used one of those components? They're embedded in the OS. You don't have to run a .NET 3 program to use them.
Okay, I haven't used Vista yet. Presumably, if you have a program that uses those components, you can't benchmark it either? So a 3DMark for Vista will have to remove the online results database?

Back