Vista/HDCP-ready Monitors

if you don't have a HDCP videocard who cares.
Vista ships late this year (at best) so buying hardware atm would be daft..

radeonic2 said:
Vista ships late this year (at best) so buying hardware atm would be daft..
What would be daft is someone going monitorless for the many months be will take before Vista ships. If a person does need a monitor right now, getting one that supports HDCP is probably best.

Why is Vista relevant to the HDCP discussion? Do previous Windows versions not support HDCP or is HD-DVD/BluRay playback not possible in XP?

kyleb said:
What would be daft is someone going monitorless for the many months be will take before Vista ships. If a person does need a monitor right now, getting one that supports HDCP is probably best.
Its gonna be fun when vista ships and said monitor is a pos ;)

Anyone know if the xx07FP series of Dell flatscreens are HDCP-compatible? When they get around to updating the 2405FPW, I'd be interested in knowing where things stand with regards to that unit. Not much point in switching if it still doesn't recognize HDCP...

Gosh, it's the most expensive one in the line-up. :p No way I could ever afford something like that, heh. I'd have to wait for a cheaper one...

As far as I can tell they haven't even started selling the other two yet, so 3007 is pretty much what we have to go on!

The troubleshooting pages for both monitors does mention HDCP.

2407WFP
2007WFP

Check if DVD player is HDCP compliant.
- Some non-compliant players may exhibit blinking video and others will display a raster screen.

Still doesn't confirm that it supports it, but why else would you need to make sure the DVD player is HDCP compliant if the monitor isn't?

All I can say for now is that HDCP is listed in the spec page for the 3007. So, the fact that it's missing from the spec pages for the 2007 and 2407 is worrying. If it is missing from the actual units, I can only assume it's a cost thing - what is general cost of adding HDCP to a monitor - anyone know?

Never underestimate the power of "whoops!" tho, particularly when applied to copy 'n paste making of new web pages. So I'm not feeling definitive one way or the other yet.

Back