VirtualLink to replace VR-cablemess with single USB Type-C

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by Kaotik, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not just that but it took years for others to catch up to Intel's USB quality. Heck, even AMD were far behind WRT to USB speed and stability for many years. The same applied to SATA chipsets and performance.

The last time I remember a robust 3rd party I/O implementation right out of the gate was the VESA local bus (the competing standard to Intel's PCI) back in 1992. Perhaps because it wasn't trying to follow in Intel's footsteps. :p

Hell, Intel was late to the SSD party but their first product which featured their own internally developed SSD control chip blew everyone out of the water.

I'm sure my memory is just being pessimistic about the whole thing, but it does seem to take 3rd parties ages to get things right. Hell, just look at the mess that is USB-C. It's starting to get better, but it's still not exactly as universal (in terms of implemented features across implementations in devices) as USB-A (USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.1, etc.).

Regards,
    SB

2. addy

The Connection is an alternate mode of USB-C should simplify and speed up the setup time for your VR gear avoiding one of the major inconveniences of having and using a VR headset in a room where it isn’t always connected

3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I didn't know this. Are there comparisons in the internets?