Value of Hardware Unboxed benchmarking *spawn

Has anyone here been put off by frame gen added latency? I can't recall any people saying that they've been personally bothered by this. I understand the numbers, but my subjective experience in Witcher 3 is that I couldn't notice any difference in input lag with FG, but I could definitely notice the increased fluidity. This was with base framerate typically between 40-60.

I also never noticed any FG related artifacting, and I am an artifact connoisseur. I can see it in the youtube videos when they zoom in and slomo it, so I kind of know what to look for. But I'll be damned if I could ever spot it while playing the game, even when keeping an eye out for it.

It's been my fairly long term observation that most people overestimate their perceptive sensitivity to input lag to some decent degree. Especially PC gamers. I also think most gamers dont understand how much inherent input latency there is in most games to begin with simply through the rendering process, before we even start talking hardware. Outside of competitive titles and whatnot, it's pretty typical of AAA games to be running with like 70, 80, even 100ms+ of inherent latency at something like 60fps.

As for frame gen, results do seem to vary. In some games, Reflex seems to claw back a good chunk of the added latency, and in others it doesn't. So that can effect things there. But yes, in general, I think most people can easily stomach or likely not even notice a 15-20ms difference, especially for the types of more demanding, typically single-player games where using frame gen will be most used. It's something I expect most people will just turn on and subconsciously adjust to it fairly quickly.

It's been my fairly long term observation that most people overestimate their perceptive sensitivity to input lag to some decent degree. Especially PC gamers. I also think most gamers dont understand how much inherent input latency there is in most games to begin with simply through the rendering process, before we even start talking hardware. Outside of competitive titles and whatnot, it's pretty typical of AAA games to be running with like 70, 80, even 100ms+ of inherent latency at something like 60fps.

As for frame gen, results do seem to vary. In some games, Reflex seems to claw back a good chunk of the added latency, and in others it doesn't. So that can effect things there. But yes, in general, I think most people can easily stomach or likely not even notice a 15-20ms difference, especially for the types of more demanding, typically single-player games where using frame gen will be most used. It's something I expect most people will just turn on and subconsciously adjust to it fairly quickly.
I expected to be able to notice some kind of difference, even in a third person game like The Witcher 3. Laggy mouse input is extremely annoying to me. Bethesda games used to (maybe still do but I dunno) have terrible mouse lag when vsync was turned on. I found that if you set a FPS cap in D3DOverrider at 1 fps below the vsync cap the mouse lag would go away for some reason. Point is I've gone to great lengths to minimize mouse lag in many games. And yet with DLSS frame gen I can't even tell it's on aside from the massively higher frame rate. This was surprising to me and I wonder if I'm an outlier. Or possibly it's a sign of me getting old :LOL:

I alternate between a 144Hz VRR local setup and a 60Hz VRR streaming setup and input lag has never been an issue on the streaming machine. Streaming over Ethernet probably adds less latency than frame gen though.

Feb 9, 2024

0:00 - Intro
01:12 - AMD Ryzen 7 5700 Recap
13:57 - Survey Results
14:53 - GPU Market Share
19:07 - How Much Did Your GPU Cost?
21:48 - How Often Do You Upgrade?
28:23 - Rasterization vs Ray Tracing Importance
33:57 - How Much is Too Much for 8GB of VRAM?
43:32 - Buying Same Brand Again vs Switching Brands
54:55 - What GPU Features are Important
1:08:43 - Updates From Our Boring Lives

Survey results based on 2000 respondents.

Last edited:
Back