V-day has arrived

prices of vista here :
Home Basic : 279 €
Home Premium : 339 €
Business : 425 €
Ultimate : 575 €

ha!
retail versions. I don't know about the price of crippleware Upgrade or OEM. (if OEM is enforced, it's rent not sale..)

Ladies and gentlemen I've been Vista'd. Vista Business'd to be exact. What can ya do they gave it to me for free :LOL:

Was considering the update, but after hearing you can no longer make a fresh install with the update disc, I'll wait a year or two.
No way I'm going to pay €300 for the retail Vista, besides, for me it'd bring little new compared to XP anyway.
But it would have been fun just to toy with a new OS and the Aero GUI.

Got it and loving it. Everything has worked fine so far although I havn't really tried that much. I got the Home Premium OEM for the princely sum of £78. i don't plan on upgrading for at least a couple of years and when I do I figure I'll switch OS to the 64bit version anyway so OEM is fine for me.

My initial impressions are:

Looks Great
Runs Great
Compatability is good so far
Liking the new features
GAME EXPLORER TOTALLY SUCKS!

I guess the last item needs a little clarification. Basically, you can't add new folders. So your stuck with all your games in the same list, no breaking gown by genre or however else you would choose. And speaking of Genre, you can't even edit it. Thats right. Even if the game doesn't come with game exlorer details of its own, you can't even add them. It just sits there looking ugly in the list.

My old start menu based "games explorer" that I created myself in XP was far better. I have doen it for Vista aswell but it doesn't work aswell because of the new menu design. :cry:

So bottom line is that Vista seems very good but one of my most anticipated features sucks.

I like to build my own systems, so OEM is out for me. The retail price of Vista is pretty huge $300 CAD for the Home Premium, and I'm one of those tech-heads that wants it all, so I want to see if Ultimate turns out to be worth the $500 CAD, which I doubt.

I've recently had the upgrade itch in a big way, but I'm not buying anything until it has an HDMI output on the video card and a quad core processor. So, Vista will wait, for me. And if gaming completely leaves my blood, as it's seeming to, I think I might go the Mac route if Leopard looks nice. If I buy the package deal, I'll buy Apple over Dell or whatever. Vista retail has killed the price of building my own system.

Ladies and gentlemen I've been Vista'd. Vista Business'd to be exact. What can ya do they gave it to me for free :LOL:
How long does it take to switch to a useable GUI? Faster than XP?
I know the Business ed is the graphically nicer one, but I'm not sure how decorated exactly it still is.

General exception fault! :LOL:

Yeah, I know. I just mean that being forced to pay a high premium for a retail edition of Vista may force me out of the "build your own system" market and into the package system market. And if I'm going to make that plunge, I'm buying a Mac, as long as I decide I don't want to game on my PC anymore. I guess I'll know this summer.

How long does it take to switch to a useable GUI? Faster than XP?
I know the Business ed is the graphically nicer one, but I'm not sure how decorated exactly it still is.

Well thats a loaded question if I've ever heard one :LOL:

I'd call Aero Glass both fast and usable out of the box on my system (Opteron 165 @ 2900, X1900 256mb, 2gb DDR1). Just as fast as XP in fact. You'd have to try it yourself to find out what you'd be happy with of course. Aero is Aero so the UI won't be any different on Business than on Home Premium or the other versions.

Keep in mind that although the new UI does look fancy/bloated/frilly/fluffy/whatever it was designed from the ground up with hardware accelerated in mind. So although it might look like it would be slow in screens, a hands on experience might surprise you.

Has anyone else experienced what seems like a variable framerate when running Aero? It just seems like my cursor is either moving really fast or lagging behind. Also seems tied to how many windows are up but none of them are animated. Anyone know of any performance killing feature they included?

I'm using a Opty165, 1900xt, and 2gb of ram so it's not exactly like my system is on the low end.

Has anyone else experienced what seems like a variable framerate when running Aero? It just seems like my cursor is either moving really fast or lagging behind. Also seems tied to how many windows are up but none of them are animated. Anyone know of any performance killing feature they included?

I'm using a Opty165, 1900xt, and 2gb of ram so it's not exactly like my system is on the low end.

Nope, smooth as butter for me. I just ran a little test, 22 windows open including media player running a video and ALL the built in windows games and its still just as smooth as ever. Memory usage is 75% (from 2GB). Thats on an 800GTS.

I have to say, im damn impressed!

Well thats a loaded question if I've ever heard one :LOL:

I'd call Aero Glass both fast and usable out of the box on my system (Opteron 165 @ 2900, X1900 256mb, 2gb DDR1). Just as fast as XP in fact. You'd have to try it yourself to find out what you'd be happy with of course. Aero is Aero so the UI won't be any different on Business than on Home Premium or the other versions.

Keep in mind that although the new UI does look fancy/bloated/frilly/fluffy/whatever it was designed from the ground up with hardware accelerated in mind. So although it might look like it would be slow in screens, a hands on experience might surprise you.
Okay, "useable" as in basic. Pre-XP basic. A proper [strike]Start[/strike] menu that displays everything of relevance in a static, organized, reliable format, with a reasonable font size so that many items will fit.

Yeah, "useable" was a little loaded, sorry ;)
I just like a UI that does what it's supposed to do and stops there. Most of the people I studied with had their XP desktops configured in a way that basically removed every new XP GUI feature except for the "Welcome" screen and the root view in Explorer (the big drive icons, with the clear separations between physical drives and system-defined shortcuts). I also remember having lots of fun with the "Security Center" and the "There's stuff on your desktop. You put it there because you want to delete it, right?" annoyances. And some of the, err, older people I did support/repairs for, seemed to be delighted when I disabled some key annoyances for them (such as Systray item hiding and "personalized" menus).
You could say I'm part of a demographic that has perceived new Windows versions as incremental burdens that take ever longer to configure for day-to-day operation. Should have explained that better.

But you already answered the question, so thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, "useable" as in basic. Pre-XP basic. A proper [strike]Start[/strike] menu that displays everything of relevance in a static, organized, reliable format, with a reasonable font size so that many items will fit.
Pre-XP Start Menu compared to XP and especially Vista is almost unusable by comparison.

So those who bought it. How is it having to give permission each time you change a folder name?

If you own the folder, it doesn't ask.

Back