User friendly computer

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I sometines get pretty desperate with Windows. It IS NOT user-friendly, whatever anyone says. Simply because unsuspecting users without much IT knowledge are left with a computer that doesn't work in no-time flat.

While I am among the first to say that it is their own fault, because they use IE6, Norton AV, download and install everything that looks interesting, have all the crap spyware ads clean their computer, use cable without a router, etc, etc. But, when push comes to shove, how are they to know, or maintain their install without at least a partial IT degree? It's simply impossible.

I know quite some people and companies who make lots of money by mostly cleaning up borked computers from unsuspecting users at $ 50 an hour.

So, while commercially, Windows is a huge success for anyone in IT, isn't there something a bit more bullet-proof? That non-IT-savvy users can use without running up bills or be left with an nonfunctional PC?

I think one of the best options for those people is simply using a Knoppix CD/DVD. But you cannot run the programs they're used to on that, and it looks alien. Help!

While I could do just about everything but developing Windows apps on *nix, and even get almost anything running satisfactory under Wine, it isn't something those users can do. So, for the simple internet browser / MSN, Skype, Office etc. user, what would be the OS to use?

The main problem would probably be, that they would have to be able to control it while only knowing which buttons to press in Windows.

Yes, I know this is one of the "Holy grails". But, what is the best option at this moment for people who don't play games?

Again, Mac...

For those on the cheap or unwilling to shell out a few hundred dollars for a Mini, then switch 'em to Linux (Xandros, Mandriva, or Ubuntu). As for the "alien" aspect, you could say the same for OS X when coming from Windows. Have'em bite the bullet. It's much easier to learn new apps and get more comfortable with a new UI than it is to train users proper system maintenance... Plus distros like Xandros and Mandriva are pretty approachable and try not to stray too far from the Windows UI paradigm..

Of course that doesn't alleviate the problem that "EVERYTHING" runs on Windows (so to speak), so you'd have to get them used to the idea that they just can't run down to the say the local Best Buy and buy any old piece of shovelware and expect it to run on their system (the same goes for hardware).

well they could try the beta of react OS it has full Win32 support and when its done will be a clean room reproduction of Windows built around a protected kernal, while being able to understand Win32 its not NT5 or Win9x Kernal inside so virus and spyware will have less of a chance and its free

im going to disagree with everyone to a point
if they are doing standard things eg word processing email ect
then a linux live cd - absolutely impossible to balls up you can balls up a mac ive seen it ;)
and linspire looks pretty windows like too

So, while commercially, Windows is a huge success for anyone in IT, isn't there something a bit more bullet-proof? That non-IT-savvy users can use without running up bills or be left with an nonfunctional PC?

Oh, there was. It was called BeOS. Unfortunately noone tried it seriously and it had no gaming capabilities, which was it's doom.

It's still being developed by another company with another name, but I can' remember it.

Oh, there was. It was called BeOS. Unfortunately noone tried it seriously and it had no gaming capabilities, which was it's doom.

It's still being developed by another company with another name, but I can' remember it.

BeOS merged with reactOS, the diff is now it can game. It runs win32, win16, mac9, and mac10 apps

I think this will stay to be a problem as long as there is no good mechanism to protect the source code of commercial software (games, mostly). Because, if we had that, it would be peanuts to run just about anything on Wine, or your preferred alternative OS.

ReactOS is what Microsoft should have done with Vista. But the better the compatibility becomes, the more ReactOS will suffer from the exact same problems that plague Windows.

In the mean time, I agree that a Linux live CD/DVD is the single most bullet-proof option, with an user-friendly Linux install or a Mac coming close for general day-to-day use, as long as you're not interested in playing games. OpenOffice is a great clone. A bit too good in my opinion, as it also copied some of the most frustrating MS Office quirks.

But for the group most at risk, teenagers, it's useless if they cannot run the copied games. And so Microsoft's leverage is retained.

Ironically, implementing a really good DRM in Windows will be a great boon for Linux. The mechanism that renders your computer inoperative if Vista thinks you didn't buy your copy will do more for Linux and other alternatives than just about anything else.

BeOS is now Zeta dev by magnusoft, a german firm, also www.haiku-os.org is an open source implementation of the BeOS.
One Haiku R1 is done (which will mimick BeOS) it'll move to R2 which will remove binary compatibility, but aim at source compatibility, and innovate.

Your problem is more about Windows than the PC, and the only real alternative for a user friendly OS today is MacOS X.

I think I could slipstream a relatively safe windows xp cd:

1. File sharing, MS client not installed.

2. FF or Opera pre-installed, no shortcuts to IE, IE folder hidden and activeX verboten!

3. Automatic updates and system restore on, for what it's worth.

4. Decent firewall, antivirus, adaware, and search and destroy--set to update every day no matter what.

5. Preferably no admin privileges :D

I tried ubuntu for one of my friends, it was great until he got a new printer, there was supposedly a driver but it didn't work. Then it's the same old story: "Dude, I'll buy you a six-pack if you come over and fix my computer. There's just one little problem." :rolleyes:

I think I could slipstream a relatively safe windows xp cd:

1. File sharing, MS client not installed.

2. FF or Opera pre-installed, no shortcuts to IE, IE folder hidden and activeX verboten!

3. Automatic updates and system restore on, for what it's worth.

4. Decent firewall, antivirus, adaware, and search and destroy--set to update every day no matter what.

5. Preferably no admin privileges :D

I tried ubuntu for one of my friends, it was great until he got a new printer, there was supposedly a driver but it didn't work. Then it's the same old story: "Dude, I'll buy you a six-pack if you come over and fix my computer. There's just one little problem." :rolleyes:

lol, well you can get the windows drivers to work sometimes with a wrapper, ive seen it done before for webcams though it wont work for my cam.

Back