User Created Mods In Unreal Tournament III (360)

Hardknock

Veteran
http://www.xbox360******.com/2007/01/30/mark-rein-user-created-mods-in-360-utiii/

Mark Rein: User created mods in 360 UTIII

Posted Jan 30th 2007 9:45AM by Richard Mitchell

Speaking to Game Informer, Epic's Mark Rein believes that user created content will be featured in the 360 version of Unreal Tournament III. In fact, Rein admits that user created content is the reason the 360 version of UTIII took so long to confirm. According to Rein, Epic was unsure that Microsoft would allow such content to pass through the dreaded certification process (Whatever happened to VelocityGirl?). Whatever the issue was, Rein is now confident that mods should be coming our way.

As noted by Joystiq, we're not really sure how such mods would be created. It's possible that mods could be made through a 360 specific level editor, though we have to question how detailed such a thing could be. Another solution would be for Epic to distribute the most popular PC content over Xbox Live. Could Live Anywhere have anything to do with this?

360/Vista connectivity?

In fact, Rein admits that user created content is the reason the 360 version of UTIII took so long to confirm.

But it didn't take long for the ps3 version, and it doesn't have it, or does it?

In fact, Rein admits that user created content is the reason the 360 version of UTIII took so long to confirm.

Thats a lie.

Reason UT wasnt confirmed\announced for the X360 was because they didnt want to draw hype away from Gears of War

360/Vista connectivity?

In a roundabout way..I think the plan is simply to allow mods/maps created on a PC to be runnable and distributable on consoles.

I also don't really doubt what Mark Rein is saying about this delaying the 360 announcement. Just a few months ago, this is what Tim Sweeney was saying:

He notes that the mod community was "an essential part of [Epic's] success", and commented: "We would love to transfer this mod community over to the console platforms." Of course you'll need a PC to create levels for the upcoming UT2007 for PS3/PC, but Sweeney believes that everything will be in place so that modders can make new levels on the PC, "download them to the PlayStation 3, and distribute them online."

In fact, he was very positive on Sony's open attitude to networked content compared to the Xbox 360 - he commented of Microsoft's platform: "Unfortunately it's more of a closed platform," and even noted that Microsoft seems to be "quite negative toward user-created content" under certain circumstances Epic has encountered.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10974

So I think it's fairly believable that they were trying to iron some arrangement out with MS before committing to a 360 release.

Or dont kill the only reason why a bunch of people would buy a ps3.

Yeah right like the bunch of people you mention equals millions who wanted to get the PS3 solely to play UT3...aha...thats realistic. Aham...thats why Epic announces it on 360 before its even available on any other platform.....rrright. Because Epic cares for the PS3....:LOL:

Thats a lie.

Reason UT wasnt confirmed\announced for the X360 was because they didnt want to draw hype away from Gears of War

Maybe, but they could have quietly confirmed a 360 version without drawing any hype away from Gears. Not only are the games 12 months apart, but they're different genres to boot.

No. What would one person do with millions of MS points?? There's only so much DLC, gamer pics and themes available. You'd wind up with a load of points you'd never be able to use...

I just hope MS and Epic are smart enough to charge MS points for user-created content, then give royalty to the author.

Well they usually do the "Make something Unreal" contest. Grand prize last time was a million bucks. That game Red Orchestra won. Maybe they will allow PC/PS3/X360 mods in the contest.

No. What would one person do with millions of MS points?? There's only so much DLC, gamer pics and themes available. You'd wind up with a load of points you'd never be able to use...
The royalty could be in actual money.

Think for a few seconds before typing.

Sure, I meant in real money.

I think we'll see things like that in several years - but not very soon. Many issues will have to be resolved. For example, who will do QA on for-sale mods? Who will pay for the bandwidth needed to distribute mods if they are free?

I guess there might be regulatory problems if MS allows for free exchange of points - they will turn into a "bank" issuing a "currency", and the government will suddenly jump on them.

Woot :)

Now you can be infected by Chaos on your PS3/PC and now your 360... our mod will rule them all! :)

/me goes back and poslishes his vortex launcher...

Think for a few seconds before typing.

Excuse me? MS stated when the 360 first launched that "Velocity Girl" could create stuff on XBL and sell it for MS points. I was thinking very clearly when I typed that but thank you. :rolleyes:

Excuse me? MS stated when the 360 first launched that "Velocity Girl" could create stuff on XBL and sell it for MS points.
Well, maybe the plan changed. The ludicrous outcome should have been enough to get you to think of alternatives, and real money is an obvious alternative. Even just speculating that the reward could be real money is not beyond simple analysis.

Sure, I meant in real money.

I think we'll see things like that in several years - but not very soon. Many issues will have to be resolved. For example, who will do QA on for-sale mods? Who will pay for the bandwidth needed to distribute mods if they are free?

I guess there might be regulatory problems if MS allows for free exchange of points - they will turn into a "bank" issuing a "currency", and the government will suddenly jump on them.

Couldn't you already sell mods on PC? And I dont see any rush to do it there. Because nobody's going to pay for a mod, basically. Make it free or nobody's buying..and therefore nobody will play your mod and it wont get any exposure..

Although people probably WOULD buy mods on XBL, just because it's so easy to buy stuff. Your credit card info is already in there and whatnot.

I could see a use for a pretty good amount of points. I rent a fair amount of movies, and you could buy every XBLA game that comes out every week just for the hell of it if you had a lot of points.

The 'Velocity Girl' structure that MS proposed had to do with the trading of in-game assets, thus no QA is required as they are all objects existing in, or created in the game itself. It was a trade system, think Forza 2 livery editor. People would design something using the ingame tools, and then trade that to another user for either points, or another ingame item.

The MS Software head indicated this should be up and running by the end of 2007, since it's MS lets just say ballpark 2008 ;)

This deal with these mods, it'ss totally different, and I would assume is free. Any other method of delivery just doesn't make sense.

Back