USB on Monitors?

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Evening!

I've had this question in my head for AGES, but i never thought of actually asking anyone...

What do u do with USB ports on a monitor? It seems today's monitors now come with at least 2 USB ports, but i simply have NO idea what they can be used for........

Thanks!!

They work like any USB hub, except instead of taking up space and cluttering the desktop they're built into the monitor case. Very convenient.

For example in the computer lab at school, you can plug your USB drive into the monitor instead of trying to reach the back USB ports, or get down on the ground to find the front ones. And often times the back ones are unreachable unless you pull the tower out of the desk/table thing they have it in.

Killer-Kris said:
For example in the computer lab at school, you can plug your USB drive into the monitor instead of trying to reach the back USB ports, or get down on the ground to find the front ones. And often times the back ones are unreachable unless you pull the tower out of the desk/table thing they have it in.

So the monitor is then plugged into a USB port in the desktop then? Oh i see, i was missing that part.

london-boy said:
Evening!

I've had this question in my head for AGES, but i never thought of actually asking anyone...

What do u do with USB ports on a monitor? It seems today's monitors now come with at least 2 USB ports, but i simply have NO idea what they can be used for........

Thanks!!

It's just a USB hub built into the back. I also had a monitor that you could control via the USB lead - change the brightness, pincushion, etc. though it was just as easy to simply press the controls on the front.

london-boy said:
Killer-Kris said:

So the monitor is then plugged into a USB port in the desktop then? Oh i see, i was missing that part.

I would assume so, but I've never looked that closely at them.

and, if someone forgot to plug it in the system, you could use it to charge your mp3 player/cellphone

Back