US VG market sets record, up 6%, 600k Xbox360s sold in NA to date.

Surprisingly low figures for X360. Wedbush Morgan thinks only 1m have been sold globally now.

And comparing to previous launches, there now is obviously a problem. It's not just about spreading supply across the globe, that supply in the first place is lower than we've seen previously. Sony shipped over 1.4m PS2s in less than one month, compared to ~1m for X360 in a month and a half? Xbox shipped 1.4m in the same period at its launch IIRC. Launching in 3 territories is certainly noble, and welcome, but you'd want to make sure you've more stock than you'd have previously launched in one territory with, not less.

Titanio said:
Surprisingly low figures for X360. Wedbush Morgan thinks only 1m have been sold globally now.

And comparing to previous launches, there now is obviously a problem. It's not just about spreading supply across the globe, that supply in the first place is lower than we've seen previously. Sony shipped over 1.4m PS2s in less than one month, compared to ~1m for X360 in a month and a half? Xbox shipped 1.4m in the same period at its launch IIRC. Launching in 3 territories is certainly noble, and welcome, but you'd want to make sure you've more stock than you'd have previously launched in one territory with, not less.
I agree. That number, to me, is bordering on irrelevant. Given the shortage and high demand, it was easy to think that the Xbox 360 was a success. But looking at these numbers, they haven't even satiated the core gamer market yet. For all we can tell, the Xbox 360 would have similar sales tragectory as the original Xbox, or possibly even worse.

inefficient said:
I wonder what fraction of the total number MS was able to ship were just replacements for broken systems?
Given their public statement, under 3-5%.

Alstrong said:
Just because a population is a particular fraction of another does not mean the sales will be scaled accordingly. That depends on the units shipped.

I have no dispute over the fact of the population. Read my post again. "While that may be true," etc. Perhaps you are being overly aggressive for no reason? Not sure why you're getting upset...

I wasn't the slightest bit agressive. All I stated was facts. Why you took personal offense over it is highly suspect though.

I laughed at the idea that Canada, with a population of only 1/10th of the US would buy half as many 360's as the US, which happens to be the largest gaming market in the world. The suggestion defies all logic. If Canada bought consoles at that rate you would be a larger gaming market than Japan or even Europe.

And everything else I said was straight-up fact with absolutely no personal opinion attached.

So, which part do you find "overly aggressive?" Laughing at the ridiculous claim, or stating facts?

Or do you just have a problem with an American saying something you percive as "bad" about Canada?

inefficient said:
I wonder what fraction of the total number MS was able to ship were just replacements for broken systems?

0%

Replacements for broken systems aren't sold through stores, and aren't tracked by NPD as sales.

mckmas8808 said:
I wonder if MS will hit their goal. The spring can be kinda rough for videogames.

Spring is generally kinda rough because there are not many products/games released, because most companies focus on Christmas to release their heavy weights. But last year, the PSP had a very successful launch in the US in March, so if MS solves their supply problems, gets a couple of heavy-hitter games (I think both Oblivion and Ghost Recon are targetted for Spring ?), and launches a decent ad campaign, I can see them doing well in Spring (like a sort of 2nd launch period). I know that in Europe, after a Christmas season where it was impossible to find a PS2, sales for the end of winter and beginning of Spring were pretty good.

Demand is still quite high as far as I know. The UK is certainly out of Xboxes, just as Austria.

Just a thought....

Powderkeg said:
So, which part do you find "overly aggressive?" Laughing at the ridiculous claim, or stating facts?

Or do you just have a problem with an American saying something you percive as "bad" about Canada?

Personally, I thought you came off as a bit aggressive, the "sterotypical" label that so many "non-Americans" love to put on us. I wonder why?

But back to the point, could it not be a remote possiblity, that a smaller country just might in fact have a much higher ratio of gamers to non-gamers, than a lager country? Just a thought?

Maintain that aggressivness now, when you reply... ;)

DAVEW

Davew49 said:
But back to the point, could it not be a remote possiblity, that a smaller country just might in fact have a much higher ratio of gamers to non-gamers, than a lager country? Just a thought?

Powderkeg is absolutely right about this. Has this higher ratio you mention happened in the past? how many Xbox's has been sold in Canada, and how many in the US, now I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure there hasn't been much higher ratio for Canada.

Dr Evil said:
Powderkeg is absolutely right about this. Has this higher ratio you mention happened in the past? how many Xbox's has been sold in Canada, and how many in the US, now I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure there hasn't been much higher ratio for Canada.

No he's not right, and even if he was it's no excuse for being so arrogant.

Canada currently has the highest percentage of Xbox gamers in the world. In fact, according to the latest independent survey by AC Neilson, the Xbox market share in Canada is at 30.1%, putting it at just under one third.
http://www.gamenationtv.com/features/microsoftblownaway.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:

I don't think it's arrogant to state facts...
Anyways that news is older than my grandfather and it only mentiones how Xbox has done compared to PS2 and Gamecube thus has little to do what we are talking about here, I would like to see numbers how many Xbox's are sold in Canada and in the Usa, even if MS's marketshare is little bit better in Canada than in US it proves nothing, because people were saying in this thread that there were sold half as many X360's in Canada than in US, and that's not even close to being true...

edit: You canadiens should make more noice about your national hockey team. In that you rule!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Evil said:
I don't think it's arrogant to state facts...
Anyways that news is older than my grandfather and it only mentiones how Xbox has done compared to PS2 and Gamecube thus has little to do what we are talking about here, I would like to see numbers how many Xbox's are sold in Canada and in the Usa, even if MS's marketshare is little bit better in Canada than in US it proves nothing, because people were saying in this thread that there were sold half as many X360's in Canada than in US, and that's not even close to being true...

edit: You canadiens should make more noice about your national hockey team. In that you rule!:)

tha news is old, and I believe it's only increased since then, IIRC canada is around 42% xbox, while US is at 29%. Not that that makes a big difference, US still has 10x's the consumers, I'm not disputing that point but that would have been a much better way of putting it rather than trying to compare an entire country to one american state.

scooby_dooby said:

I think you are confusing marketshare with number of systems sold.

If Canadians buy exactly 10% of the number of Xbox systems as the US, but only buy 5% of the number of PS2's as the US the Xbox would have a much higher marketshare.

But they would still only be buying 10% as many systems as the US.

Davew49 said:
Personally, I thought you came off as a bit aggressive, the "sterotypical" label that so many "non-Americans" love to put on us. I wonder why?

Maintain that aggressivness now, when you reply... ;)

DAVEW

The possibility of such a difference existing when the only significance between the two countries is a line on a map is remote at best.

And even if the ratio of gamers in Canada was higher than the US, how much would that actually add up to?

Last generation there were roughly 60 million consoles sold in the US. That would give Canada about 6 million total systems sold for the entire generation if the ratio of gamers is constant. Say you have a 10% higher ratio of gamers, that's still only an additional 600,000 systems spread out across 3 systems over the course of 6 years.

It's still no where even close to enough of a difference to expect more than 30-40,000 systems to be sold at launch in the country.

Portable Gaming Up, Consoles Down, in 2005

Growth in sales of portable gaming hardware and software offset a down year for console hardware, software and accessories.

Remember we had a thread about how possibly, the PSP may cannibalize or compete for the gaming dollars of the X360? No doubt a number of people who couldn't get the X360 looked to buy some other gaming products to give as gifts. And there may even have been people who chose to get portable gaming hardware and software regardless of whether they could get their hands on an X360.

U.S. retail sales of videogame hardware, software and accessories hit a record $10.5 billion in 2005 as strong demand from portable gaming gadgets offset weakness in console players, according to the NPD Group.

The results surpassed the old record of $10.3 billion set in 2002 and were 6% higher than the $9.9 billion reported in 2004.

The research firm said Friday that software for portable players such as Nintendo's Game Boy Advance and Sony's PlayStation Portable jumped 42% to $1.4 billion in 2005 -- the second straight year with sales above $1 billion. Game Boy Advance programs made up 52% of total sales.

"The real story for 2005 was the incredible expansion of portable gaming," said Anita Frazier, an NPD analyst. "The GBA continued to realize stellar sales, and the introduction of the [Nintendo] DS and PSP to the market brought older gamers to the portable format."

The console market faced software delays and hardware shortages. Consumers also held off purchases in anticipation of Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360, which was in short supply after its Nov. 22 U.S. launch, as well as Sony's and Nintendo's upcoming consoles.

For 2005, console hardware, software and accessories saw sales declines of 3%, 12% and 8% over 2004.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113743700136247714.html?mod=technology_main_whats_news (subscription required)

Back