Unreal Tournament 3 aka UT2k7

Then again I'm not too interested in episodic content. Many people predict the model will fail, including Scott Miller from 3DRealms...

I'm looking to Bioware and Mass Effect to set the bar for episodic content.

I think it will only really work as filler material, between major games, but if used that way it could be a major success.

Who wouldn't want to play an extra 4 levels of Halo 3 a year after release, a full year before the sequal comes out?

The video was pretty cool. It looks better than I remember UT3 looking, and I remembered it looking pretty darn amazing.

Nerve-Damage said:
When did Epic or Sony make an official statement; stating this was an exclusive title for the PS3?

No... because it was also PC bound before it was ever mentioned for the PS3.

That said, follow the trail:

1. Unreal Tournament 2007 (aka UT3) was announced for the PS3, and no mention of an Xbox 360 version. Links readily available across the net, but E3 2005 should suffice as a reference point.

2. Epic has denied that the Xbox 360 version was every in development. Just one example quoting Epic is from TechBuzz May 2006 (also reported on other sites like the-magicbox.com, QJ.net, etc which seem to be feeding off the January PSM)

TechBuzz said:
Epic Games’ Mark Rein said the company does not have plans to release a Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 2007. This apparently paves the way for Unreal to compete with Halo 3 for the ultimate first person shooter.

So "being developed for the PS3... and no plans to release an Xbox 360 version" does indicate some sort of exclusivity, either timed exclusive, defacto exclusive (i.e. platform focused development), or sponsored exclusivity. But the writing on the wall was as "clear" as Epic and Sony wanted to make it: PS3 bound, NO Xbox 360 release.

That may not use the word "exclusive" but it is pretty darn close.

Interestingly this game has been on the "rumor... denial" list for a long time. e.g. At E3 2006 Midway had announced it was coming for the Xbox 360 as well as the PC and PS3, which they later refuted that it would be arriving on the Xbox 360.

So, now you have your official statement that it was not planned for the Xbox 360 and was a PS3 / PC title only.

But that is almost irrelevant because what really matters is the reaction of fans who thought it was exclusive--even if it never was stated to be exclusive. It seems more than one person thought, based on the PS3 announcement/lack of 360 announcement and repeated Xbox 360 release denials, that this was a PS3 exclusive. That is what I am taking from Bad Boys post. I did a quick search and the PS3forums (as well as IGNforums) also had quite a few people stating the belief it was exclusive as well.

As far as I remember people were making bad assumptions that this was an exclusive title for PS3. Based on early wares (demo/game) showing off Pre-PS3 hardware.

It was an assumption Epic/Sony wished to create.

Personally I thought a 360 port was a no brainer. The UE3 engine was already tuned on the 360 and the Xbox fanbase has a history with Unreal. Top it all off, as a mentioned many moons ago, they can now leverage the, "From the makers of Gears of War" and have a ready made audiance dieing for more Gears. So unless Sony was paying big bucks for an exclusive I didn't see it happening. And looking at it objectively, how valuable would UT3 be to Sony as an exclusive? Not very much IMO. And I think with all the rumors it was reinforced by the exposure, or more accurately lack thereof, that UT3 was getting on the PS3 that ultimately indicated that this, like Assassin's Creed, was never a real exclusive. But instead just a marketing front to jointly generate exposure for mutually beneficial products.

Am I the only person here that's clocked onto (and dissappointed by) the name change??

Does this mean that Epic have decided to scrub any chance of a "proper" Unreal 3 game in favour of there multiplayer online frag-fest experience??

I'm sorry but this is very dissappointing.. I loved the original Unreal and Unreal two, although had its flaws, was still an amazing game with some amazingly strong narrative and gameplay elements..

It's sad to see the unreal franchise degenerate entirely into "a game for online gamers" as opposed the deep, rich and engaging offline experience it had in the first two "core unreal" titles..

I guess I won't be playing unreal games anymore..

(sob.. sob..)

Well, this is Unreal Tournament 3 as opposed to Unreal 3...

I wouldn't lose all hope of ever seeing another Unreal single player game, but I don't know how much of a priority it'd be for Epic compared to Tournament.

They did say there was a single player component with co-op. Perhaps they're merging the two?

They did say there was a single player component with co-op. Perhaps they're merging the two?

Highly doubt that. In fact, extremely highly doubt that. There might be a offline tournament with recruiting (like UT2K3/4) but nothing in any real way of a real SP.

People are reading far to much in the name I believe.

PS3 and PC users can play together
XB360 and PC users can play together if Epic Games use XBL anywhere

can PS3 and XB360 users play together??? anyone got answer???

I have a feeling IGN might have some footage of this up tonight on IGN weekly.

Course I could be totally wrong about that.

PS3 and PC users can play together
XB360 and PC users can play together if Epic Games use XBL anywhere

can PS3 and XB360 users play together??? anyone got answer???

Will that work on normal none Sony or Microsoft or Epic owned servers? Games like UT3 on the PC of course get server support from the gamers renting out them. That is of course not how it works on consoles however, so I'm curious how that will be handled. Also, if such cross platform gameplay is allowed than there should be no issues with Xbox 360 and PS3 gamers playing against each other.

Also, in this case if console players get any sort of aim assistance than you can bet PC gamers will be pissed, and rightfully so.

Also, in this case if console players get any sort of aim assistance than you can bet PC gamers will be pissed, and rightfully so.

Hm... well, in the past, they've included the option to disable auto aim. And IIRC, it's an option that even the PC games have.

Hm... well, in the past, they've included the option to disable auto aim. And IIRC, it's an option that even the PC games have.

In the multiplayer? I do not know of a multiplayer game that offers aim assistance on the PC, I believe that would be a aimbot and get you banned.

It's in the options (UT2004). I don't know if it works online though. I never play online.

Back