Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3) Impressions

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/unreal-tournament-2007/771700p1.html

For those of you hardcore PC purists, mouse and keyboard controls will be available in the PS3 version through the USB ports on the front of the machine. In addition, the Sixaxis controller will get its usual nod and the motion sensor can be used to control where you look. The Sony rep apologized for it not being accessible on the demo I was playing, and he suggested that it was actually very accurate once you got the hang of it.
Some may or may not like that. I wonder if the X360 version will feature K/M support as well

At this point I doubt it will. I have only seen kb support for the 360 and havent heard of anyone using a mouse on the console.

Although I honestly dont know. Little is known about this title on the 360 as it has always kind of been considered PS3/pc until just recently.

Nice

As far as graphical appeal, the game looks at least as good as Gears of War or Doom 3 with glitzy lighting galore. Judging from the level that I played (a space station sort of thing), Unreal's classic quality level design is in full effect. A large map with both huge open areas and tight claustrophobia-inducing corridors was strewn with chokepoints, cover and shining neon doodads. With strange glowing tubes and other bits of high-tech machinery coating nearly every surface, the whole package was really incredibly striking. All this, the framerate was still sky-high.

Cant wait...

Hes calling the plasma rifle "small energy-based submachine gun", and the Shockrifle - the definitive Unreal Weapon - "railgun".
I cant believe he, at the same time, tries to make the impression that he actually played any Unreal-Game for more than 5 minutes. :p

I havent seen any media to suggest it is GOW quality although there is a definite difference in scale. I think a comparison with Gears and Doom 3 is flawed in the first place. LOL

But as you said Im steadily looking forward to the game as well.

Certainly the phrase "its as good looking as GeoW or Doom 3" is quite flawed, but there is no reason to think this game won't look as good or better than Gears. Its the same engine, its designed for equal or much more powerful hardware (PC) and its released many months later.

I personally expect it to be roughly equal with Gears which from what I have seen so far, is accurate.

The PC must scale, the bottom line PC won't look as good as the console releases but a top of the line PC should beat the consoles out in looks. From my understanding UT3 was never going to be as good looking as Gears, simply because the scale in UT3 is much larger and therefore more taxing, which is reasonable. I did find the comparison to both GOW and Doom 3 a bit odd and then the authors total lack of knowledge of the Unreal universe is rather "shocking".

That's great to hear - looking around is exactly what I figured motion control would be great for.

Also nice to hear that they are sticking to their old habits - the old PS2 version (Unreal Championship I think) also supported mouse and keyboard, I think.

I havent seen any media to suggest it is GOW quality although there is a definite difference in scale. I think a comparison with Gears and Doom 3 is flawed in the first place. LOL

But as you said Im steadily looking forward to the game as well.
that quote was taken from gamespy, and they did say that...

they also said the framerate was good, so there seems to be varying impressions. i'm sure the final game will be smooth regardless.

that quote was taken from gamespy, and they did say that...

they also said the framerate was good, so there seems to be varying impressions. i'm sure the final game will be smooth regardless.

Im not arguing what they did or didnt say. I realize what they said. Im simply saying that I havent seen any media on or about the game that is of the detail quality of Gears (and given the scale I seriously doubt it reaches that quality).

Of course it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong. :)

mouse and keyboard support confirmed? finally. :D
no upgrading the PC this year. haha, this is very good news.

thank you DigitalSoul! :D :D

Ok sorry for maybe being a bit slow... but how can a game "look like GOW and DOOM3"?? You either look like the first or the second... I mean, if UT3 looks like GOW, than great! If it looks like Doom3 then things are not so good!

Ok sorry for maybe being a bit slow... but how can a game "look like GOW and DOOM3"?? You either look like the first or the second... I mean, if UT3 looks like GOW, than great! If it looks like Doom3 then things are not so good!

Depends, I can semi-understand-possibly-kinda-sorta-see where the comment could come from, maybe one map is a lot like GOW and the other really dark like Doom 3? But yeah, like most I'm not exactly sure what the comment means and I would never EVER consider like Doom 3 and GOW possible.

Mouse/KB support is cool. It would also be great if PCs and consoles could mix it up in the same servers.

I hope the 360 version supports it too. Didn't MS in the past say that the choice of input device is up to the dev?

Mouse/KB support is cool. It would also be great if PCs and consoles could mix it up in the same servers.

I hope the 360 version supports it too. Didn't MS in the past say that the choice of input device is up to the dev?

Yeah, well, it would have to be some funky connector right? because MS for some reason abhors standards.

Back