Unreal Tournament 3 aka UT2k7

GI: Do you think Sony’s in trouble?

Rein: No, god, no. Somebody asked me that earlier, and I was like, “What a ridiculous question.†People, just give them a break for crying out loud. People think it’s bad if they can’t ship enough, and then they think it’s bad if they can ship enough. It’s like, which is it? Either they can’t fulfill your order or they can, and they’re both good. Being able to fulfill your order is good news, right? Go out and buy your PS3 now. You can get one. That’s miraculous. They sold more PS3s in North America than Microsoft sold Xbox 360s in its same period of time, and they clearly aren’t going to have the shortage problems that Microsoft had. So as long as people are willing to pay the price for the machine—and I’m sure lots of people are—I think they’re hopefully in a good situation. I think they’ve done a good job with their downloadable content. There’s not a lot of games on there, but the ones that are there are really high quality, and I’m really impressed with the games. It’s a beautiful machine, it’s a great-looking piece of equipment, so I think Sony’s going to be fine.

Hopefully, they’ll have some big, hit must-have games. I mean, I was really hoping for a Gran Turismo this year. I’m a little disappointed that they’ve sort of abandoned the idea of doing Gran Turismo HD and building it out. It’s because I’m a fan, and I love that game. I’m really looking forward to Motorstorm, obviously, Resistance is a great game and I’m really enjoying it, so I don’t think that at all. I think Sony’s going to do great. People just want to say, it doesn’t matter what, people just want to say bad things. You know there were people predicting with Gears, “There’s no way it’s gonna make its release date, and Epic’s having problems and it doesn’t run well on the 360,†and all these crazy, stupid rumors. People are so negative now, it’s just turned. I’ve really noticed this over the last couple of years. It’s really turned a corner from positivity to negativity, and it’s overwhelming sometimes. It makes you want to kill yourself. It’s just crazy. I don’t get it. I don’t understand why people want to be so negative about everything. Like I said, I think there’s some really good news there and it’s a great machine, and people just want to beat them up. Same with Xbox. It doesn’t matter which one it is. Everybody’s got something negative to say these days.

I find what he says to be quite interesting.

People think it’s bad if they can’t ship enough, and then they think it’s bad if they can ship enough. It’s like, which is it?

What a dumb statement. Which is it?? How about meeting your previously stated launch targets, and selling them out for starters...

Not only did they miss targets, but they are failing to sell them out, of course people are a little negative :rolleyes:

People think it’s bad if they can’t ship enough, and then they think it’s bad if they can ship enough. It’s like, which is it?

What a dumb statement. Which is it?? How about meeting your previously stated launch targets, and selling them out for starters...

Not only did they miss targets, but they are failing to sell them out, of course people are a little negative :rolleyes:

:LOL:

GI: Unreal has always scaled really well, from low-end hardware all the way to the high end. Where do you think the sweet spot is? What do you think it takes for a rig to be able to put Unreal through all of its paces?
Rein: We always aim Unreal for systems that people don’t have yet. (laughs) Whether its UT or any Unreal game, so I think the sweet spot has yet to show up. Again, it’s 64-bit and a ton of RAM, like an NVIDIA dual 8800s and Core 2 Extreme Quad processor—you could certainly build a super rig, but UT3 with everything turned up all the way is still going to struggle on that kind of thing.

Then I damn well hope the PC versions graphics scale A LOT higher than the consoles versions!

I find what he says to be quite interesting.

I find his comments about Sony outselling MS in the same time period in NA a misuse of statistics at best. Although an irrelevant debate because both were initiall supply limited, MS could have easily sold more in NA if they had allocated their European units to NA. Sony's NA numbers are inflated because they delayed the European launch.

The point is kind of moot because the comparison is skewed... his real point should have been, "Sony sold 1.4M units in 2006 while being supply limited, very similar to the supply limited numbers MS shipped in 2005, and Sony hasn't even placed a foot in Europe, so "trouble" is overracting. Once you consider the price point and know that price cuts will be coming as well as software availability and BluRay media both kicking into high gear I don't see it as a doom and gloom situation at all."

At least that is how I would have answered that question.

Apparently Mark Rein is not the best analyst in the world. He is just a dev at Epic games :LOL:

I guess you could call him a dev, but he is more their PR face whereas people like Tim Sweeny (UE3 architect) and Clif (game designer) are more developers. Makr does all the business relations/hype stuff.

I guess you could call him a dev, but he is more their PR face whereas people like Tim Sweeny (UE3 architect) and Clif (game designer) are more developers. Mark does all the business relations/hype stuff.

yea i know. couldn't figure the word out at the time when i was typing.

anyway, nobody can predict how a particular product will do with right reason, anything can happen. who knows???

You know, its quite funny. When UT2007 was said to be only mentioned for PS3, and reading that Rein, you tend to overlook something - even when thinking about UT2004 - this isn't "Epic's game", but Midway's game. Mark has been a prominent voice over UT2007 (UT3) and he's the one that initimated the PS3 exclusivity first; Midways CEO actually dropped that it was comming to 360 at CES (or a little before - I forget exactly when, but a little before this "official" announcement) however that almost got brushed aside as being just some incorrect statement said by mistake.

unofficial talk already admidded last year already (at E3 ) confirmed UT was up and running on MS hardware. i told you guys this many months ago

You like confirming his statements dont you?:LOL:

You like confirming his statements dont you?:LOL:

If you mean pointing out the complete idiocy of his statement, then yes. He acts as if people aren't complaining for a reason, when in fact Sony made a long series of mistakes, and are now experiencing surpsingly low demand. I wouldn't call that nothing to be negative about...

What would he expect people to say in the face of these mistakes ? Everything is just peachy kean??

I don't personally think Sony is in big trouble, but his statement that people are being negative for no reason is just stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back