Unreal Tournament 3 aka UT2k7

Bad_Boy

god of war.
Veteran
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758414p1.html
Hello Unreal Tournament 3
Epic changes UT2007 gears with new name and adds a platform.

January 25, 2007
- Punching home a message that Midway is coming to the next-generation with a full stable of goods, the Chicago-based publisher today announced that the game formerly known as Unreal Tournament 2007 is now Unreal Tournament 3. And it's coming to the PC, PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 in the second half of 2007.

/bb gets the crow :LOL:
scooby vindicated. ;)

After the 3+ million selling Gears (and counting), I'm not surprised whatsoever.
Heck, I would not be surprised even if Gears sold poorly.

Nope. It wasn't announced for XB360 as they had Gears to talk about. Gears is out there now, so they can start talking about UT3 for XB360. For PS3 it was talked about early as a showcase for UE3.

This reminds me, remember when Epic said UT was moving to a yearly installment schedule, much like say an EA sports franchise? (Hence Ut2k3..2k4)

Yeah right..

This reminds me, remember when Epic said UT was moving to a yearly installment schedule, much like say an EA sports franchise? (Hence Ut2k3..2k4)

Yeah right..

They've been too busy helping all the companies that licensed UE3 from them (and Gears).

When was this a exclusive?

It's troubling to see PS3 lose many exclusives. Whip out the pocket book Sony!

When did Epic or Sony make an official statement; stating this was an exclusive title for the PS3?

As far as I remember people were making bad assumptions that this was an exclusive title for PS3. Based on early wares (demo/game) showing off Pre-PS3 hardware.

Love the trailer. I can't wait to get more info on those dinosaur/lizard creatures. They're probably for the story mode?

Yeah right..
Didn't that pretty much fail?
Renewing your competitive online multiplayer shooter every year regularly resets your userbase, and that can't be a good thing if you want it to attract many players.
Hence I think the comparison to EA's yearly franchises doesn't really work.

Didn't that pretty much fail?
Renewing your competitive online multiplayer shooter every year regularly resets your userbase, and that can't be a good thing if you want it to attract many players.
Hence I think the comparison to EA's yearly franchises doesn't really work.

of course it failed. anyone could have told them it would fail.

people dont want yearly updates because then the graphics will be crap (have to basicvally re-use the same engine..). plus, developers are reaaaaalllly slow, and once per year is way too much to ask of them.

all the same reasons episodic content is a big failure, basically. nobody wants half life 2 episode three on the same engine, we want half life 3...

of course it failed. anyone could have told them it would fail.

people dont want yearly updates because then the graphics will be crap (have to basicvally re-use the same engine..). plus, developers are reaaaaalllly slow, and once per year is way too much to ask of them.

all the same reasons episodic content is a big failure, basically. nobody wants half life 2 episode three on the same engine, we want half life 3...

That's not true at all. Development of the Unreal engines are very much a separate thing from the games from Epic. It could have worked, but the gameplay would have been the issue, not the graphics. Spitting out new maps constantly is easy, making new innovative play modes is not.

Also, your engine comment is rather false with HL2 episodes. Each episode looks noticeably better than the other over time because Source is an engine designed around being modular and can have its part tweaked, new bits added, etc fairly easy. That's why HL2:EP1 looked generally better than HL2, and why HL2:EP2 is looking significantly better than both of those.

Valve actually said that they'd rather make small jumps in technology from now on, instead of waiting several years before they can begin development for a completely new engine as it had been with Half-life 2.

Then again I'm not too interested in episodic content. Many people predict the model will fail, including Scott Miller from 3DRealms...

That's not true at all. Development of the Unreal engines are very much a separate thing from the games from Epic. It could have worked, but the gameplay would have been the issue, not the graphics. Spitting out new maps constantly is easy, making new innovative play modes is not.

Also, your engine comment is rather false with HL2 episodes. Each episode looks noticeably better than the other over time because Source is an engine designed around being modular and can have its part tweaked, new bits added, etc fairly easy. That's why HL2:EP1 looked generally better than HL2, and why HL2:EP2 is looking significantly better than both of those.

It is true. Madden gets by with it but what's the complaint about Madden? "It's basically the same game with a few improvements each year".

Yeah, I suppose it could be done..the problem is getting people excited for what amounts to a yearly rehash.

UT2k4 looked basically like UT2K3...however allow a gap such as UT3 and suddenly the game looks exciting again, with a brand new engine.

Your gameplay comment, I dont know about that. Epic has actually talked of decreasing multi-player modes in the next UT, because they've just gotten too watered down with 50 different modes. It becomes where people dont care anymore, about 48 of the modes.

HL2 eps may be looking better, I dont keep up with, but I can tell it certainly looks dated. Whatever modularization they're doing is not capable of keeping up.

I dont mind what Valve is doing, it's cool. Filling time with various offshoots of HL2 inbetween huge releases. But we want Half Life 3.

UT2k4 looked basically like UT2K3...however allow a gap such as UT3 and suddenly the game looks exciting again, with a brand new engine.

UT2K3 was a failure of a game though. That's the reason why UT2K4 came so quickly. If UT2K3 had delivered in the first place I'd be willing to bet there'd be no UT2K4 and none of the yearly stuff even mentioned in with UT.

Your gameplay comment, I dont know about that. Epic has actually talked of decreasing multi-player modes in the next UT, because they've just gotten too watered down with 50 different modes. It becomes where people dont care anymore, about 48 of the modes.

That's a failing of the "Lets have 50 modes that are based off of only 5 lackluster modes and have people who like bits of each" type of idea. It sucks. There's honestly hardly any true innovative in any of the modes of those "50". If instead of tweaking 5 into 50 how about just making three very awesome and independent modes? That would excite people, I know I would be very interested if a developer did this.

HL2 eps may be looking better, I dont keep up with, but I can tell it certainly looks dated. Whatever modularization they're doing is not capable of keeping up.

I dont mind what Valve is doing, it's cool. Filling time with various offshoots of HL2 inbetween huge releases. But we want Half Life 3.

I disagree that HL2:EP1 looks dated. It blows a number of games out of the water in looks that use new engines *cough* Rainbow Six: Vegas *cough*. Frankly the steady updates is what I favor, progress over time instead of just waiting for one big jump after another. The upcoming HL2:EP2 looks amazing. The Crossing looks very impressive as well. All use the Source engine and each can benefit from its enhancements. Look at for example Counter-Strike: Source having HDR tweaked into it because its possible without a complete rewrite of the engine due to its modular nature. Or cinematic effects in DoD: Source, etc.

Back