Unlocking Ports on my Router!!? 200$ says my provider, Argh!

Leto

Newcomer
My ISP wants 200$ for opening 3 ports; 1795,1796 and 1797 for playing Madden 2005 with a buddy. I dont have a password for the router, they will only let you open 25 and 80 by yourself. There must be someway to open those damn ports without shelling out 200$ :devilish: :oops:

bad isp, baaaad isp :)

If you had 3 ports you could open yourself, you could port forward 80->1795, etc, but when you only had 2 I guess it's not possible.

A possibility is setting up a VPN with your buddy and playing a LAN game.

If you're both using XP this should be very straight forward a la wizards.

Seems like 1796 might not really be nessesary how do I go about forwarding 80 and 25 and would it work ? Are they capable of inbound and outbound traffic :/

Aha I just put the cable into the modem and now it works, all ports are open muahaha welcome hackers and madden players !

Leto said:
Aha I just put the cable into the modem and now it works, all ports are open muahaha welcome hackers and madden players !
Thankfully, my ISP can, at my bequest, optionally block commonly abused ports so hackers have to get through several layers of firewall.

Leto said:

heheh just buy your own router.

I recommend the DLink DI-604 router. Very nice, I don't see any difference in my ping times, has a good web-based interface, built-in firewall, all the stuff normal users need. It can port-forward too and stuff, of course.

Guden Oden said:
I recommend the DLink DI-604 router. Very nice, I don't see any difference in my ping times, has a good web-based interface, built-in firewall, all the stuff normal users need. It can port-forward too and stuff, of course.

seconded

i will NEVER let another piece of linksys equipment into my home though

Guden Oden said:

Thats the router I use, Cheap, Good firewall, and good support for your home network.

In just half an hour it completely filled up its log (all 35 pages' worth) with blocked intrusion attempts. :D I never noticed anyone actually hacking my box before I got my router (sat on an unsecured broadband line for 2.5 years), but knowing the massive amount of stray breakin attempts, it feels good to have that little silvery box there inbetween me and cyberspace. :D

Dont think about getting the newer DLink wireless routers. The DLink 624 and the 624+ routers have too many problems with randomly disconnecting from the net, disconnecting wireless clients, restarting and locking up. None of the firmware updates fix the issue. Search the DSLReports forums for more info.

I'd go with is the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS router. The opensourced firmware is the best.

Back