Uncharted 4 discussion [PS4] (read first post) [2016]

I think a bow would have been too much (has a tendency to curb stomp difficulty in games and reminds me of how much I hated Mockingjay Part 2). A way to distract enemies would have been ace, though. Could have had Sam flick a cigarette butt or something. With realistic cool down timer because he wants to enjoy it first and foremost :)

Kinda like in Vanquish. Come to think of it, that guy was also named Sam.

Last edited:
I think a bow would have been too much. A way to distract enemies would have been great, though. Could have had Sam flick a cigarette butt or something.
Yep. Currently when I want to draw attention and take the foes quietly I stand not far from them very quickly (by aiming them with my gun) before crouching back, hidden in the tall grass.

Ridiculous, but it works! It shows the game clearly lacks a more realistic way to do it. Snake has his metal arm and we can throw unlimited stones in Far Cry...

Close to the end, I think this is the best game ND have released yet. Will explain my thoughts in-depth tomorrow but i think gameplay wise and encounter/level design wise it's a lot better than TLOU and previous Uncharted games. Oh and probably the best game on Ps4, at least for my taste.

On chapter 12 but I've not played it since Tuesday - I got distracted by Stellaris but equally I don't want to rush through Uncharted 4. I want to give it the time it deserves. Plus there is the having to stop and look around constantly :yep2:

I one thing that did disappoint me a little was..

They basically repeated the Uncharted 2 thing where the game starts mid-way through the story, then cuts back to a point earlier. Not very imaginative. I did like the section with young Nate much more than in Uncharted 3.

The man

DY0U84n.jpg

One of the most positively shocking things for me was the contextual voice overs. Some 'jokes' were absolutely only recorded for very specific bits or routes that were not 'needed'.
Example: in the later stages you have to walk in a very dark cave system with
Elena
. A part of the cave loops around and you totally don't have to go that route (the route ahead is straight on) but I did turn and loop around before proceeding. Right there you catch up with
Elena
, who stayed behind and Nate goes "hello!", as if to say 'there you are', and after a bit he says something like "that bit just loops around" - or something similar.
The attention to detail extends far beyond just the graphics, which everyone can see and is being talked about to death.
Just a joy to have played such a labour of love. So much so, I'll start it up right now all over again.

Yep, happened to me as well. Actually how Nate said hello, and she answered very gentle hello back...was a very subtle but super nice way of showing that this is indeed a love couple!

I also sometimes just had to grin, with Nate constantly commenting stuff...super stuff imo, very contextual.

Also, driving with the jeep, Sully tells a story, gets interrupted as you find a new place, after exploring it back in the car: Sully, sorry, what did you want to tell again?

YES it was so cute!!! The voice over for me has almost more value than whatever amount of pretty pixels they can throw at me. The bickering about the winch when they first get the Jeep. Any bickering is just awesome.

Just restarted a new game and set everyone in their auction skins (tuxedo for everyone). Except Elena. Those cinematic really are in realtime. Damn.

One of the most positively shocking things for me was the contextual voice overs. Some 'jokes' were absolutely only recorded for very specific bits or routes that were not 'needed'.
Example: in the later stages you have to walk in a very dark cave system with
Elena
. A part of the cave loops around and you totally don't have to go that route (the route ahead is straight on) but I did turn and loop around before proceeding. Right there you catch up with
Elena
, who stayed behind and Nate goes "hello!", as if to say 'there you are', and after a bit he says something like "that bit just loops around" - or something similar.
The attention to detail extends far beyond just the graphics, which everyone can see and is being talked about to death.
Just a joy to have played such a labour of love. So much so, I'll start it up right now all over again.
Yes, there was something similar during the Crash Bandicoot scene too. The AI of both Drake and Elena were commenting according to what you were doing in it.. Crazy.
Basically the AI responds contextually very often. I have never seen a game doing that so convincingly. In other games you just know you trigger the AI of some lifeless avatar to do things. In Uncharted 4 everything is so natural as if you are dealing with actual acting or people.

http://kotaku.com/lets-talk-about-that-one-scene-in-uncharted-4-1776324764

Just played to the first title screen.

Omg I almost cried when I started moving around on that scripted boat intro mission.
Yea, ear to ear smile when the game asked me to bash other boats :D !
I am at the Madagascar level now and excpet for a long section in underground Scotland which got boring, everything has been very entertaining :D and addicting !

The combat is the best in this one !so fluid and fun that I have ditched stealth completely to enjoy the gunfights !!! And sometimes I just replay the encounter to have the fun again !

One complaint: too less shooting till now :( ! Especially since the combat is so so good with open mink areas where enemies move around so quick! I want more shootouts please, MOAR !!!

Tempting game, wish it was coming to the PC, but theres no way I would buy a PS4 now knowing theres possibly a better model coming in a few months. Though I'm not really into platforming games at all, always hated them.
So what are everyones impressions of the multiplayer?

The game took me 18 hours and 47 minutes to finish and i explored quite a bit, got 64 out of 109 treasures on my first go. First i'd like to say that i did a mistake by starting on hard, it's pretty much comparable to crushing in previous Uncharted games and the A.I. is really challenging to fight against.

The story
Best story in an Uncharted game, and of course the best ending for the series and one of the best endings of a franchise ever, it just felt right after the whole adventure. I really liked how they explored the characters relationships and motivations in this game, it made Nathan and the crew seem more believable and as a result, more easily relatable. I might be reading too much into this but I also liked how they had contrast between character feelings and environments you visit, for example during the Market chase scene Nathan was excited and focused about finding the treasure while everything was going to shit around him then the next chapter everything is calm and beautiful while Nathan has conflicting thoughts about the treasure hunt. Overall i really liked Sam as a character as well, he was like self reflecting element for Nate from an emotional standpoint (how he was like that only a few years ago) and they had good banter that added some comic relief. I didn't mind the tone of the story at all, i think it was a perfect mix of TLOU and Uncharted and i do think it's nowhere near as dark as TLOU was.

The villains
Much like the story, best in series. For once they felt like humans and less like a caricature like Lazarevic or Marlowe. I think they went a little bit overboard with Nadine and have her being betrayed by her own people in the end (for money) was a bit weird as well but these are small annoyances. Rafe was crazy and he was awesome because he was unpredictable, and i think the ending boss fight was done very well.

The gameplay
I've said this many times before but once again, best in the series. Better than TLOU as well and most TPS. The adding of the rope and slide mechanics worked really well and the sandbox nature of each encounter made me think in creative ways to beat the -very challenging- A.I. Everything from climbing to puzzle solving, gun fighting, jeep driving, rope swinging was polished to a T.

I would say the only really "bad" thing about this game is that it was expected how good it would be. Both with Uncharted 2 and TLOU we didn't have any clue whatsoever of how good these two games would be and that was the opposite with Uncharted 4, everyone expected this to be really good, and it is. Some other things to note, the environments were beautiful and varied, the pacing was more similar to TLOU than Uncharted (which was a plus for me, they let you breathe and think for a bit), every enemy encounter felt like its own set piece (they were that good) and the set pieces themselves were really fun to play through, they had me laughing in disbelief of what was happening on screen. Overall, I'd say this is one of the best action adventure games I've ever played and definitely one i plan on playing through multiple times over the years. It is also the most complete ND game to date. Oh and the graphics are really good :)

Uploaded an album with (mostly) gameplay screenshots (I had photomode turned off for the majority of my playthrough to not hurt the pacing of the game): https://www.flickr.com/photos/128836441@N08/albums/72157665857930664

Oh and about the ending
I'm happy they didn't go full grimdark and have major characters being killed off, this is not TLOU. A happy ending is fitting for Uncharted.

Back