Ultra bright white LEDs may rival HID lamps by end of 2006.

Ty said:
Are you sure the X1 is waterproof to 100m? Though the case is considered by them to be waterproof, they tell you not to use it as a dive light. Most retailers consider them to be water resistent.

XO3 might have an issue with the TIROS lens rattling.

I recommend looking into Surefires. Not as sexy looking as Inova's but very practical though quite a bit more expensive. Truly tactical lights.

Actually I think it was 150 ft instead of the 100m I mentioned previously. Regardless it's not designed for diving and that's not the point of it being waterproof/water resistent anyway but it's nice to know that I can use it in the rain and not worry about it fogging up or rusting or malfunctioning. You can use it underwater without any problems, but like I said it's not designed for diving. 8)

As for the X03, I doubt the lense rattles since the design is fixed ie there is no head section like on traditional flashlights. The whole body IS the head and you cannot disassemble or unscrew the lense assembly. It's sealed in the stainless steel compartment. The only thing that's removable is the tail cap for battery replacement. This isn't your run of the mill Maglite. As for tactical lights, Inova has the Tactical line too but I don't like them. Also the Surefires don't last too long with rechargeable Li-ion CR123A cells. The bulbs burn out prematurely with the higher voltage rechargeables. If I get a Surefire it would probably be the L7 LumaMax Kit with two rechargeable batteries included, but at $200 I think not. For that price I can get two X03s with 4 Li-ion CR123As w/charger and a couple of X1s. Not only that but the batteries that come with the L7 LumaMax Kit are NiCads and it doesn't have the special TIROS technology.

PC-Engine said:
Actually I think it was 150 ft instead of the 100m I mentioned previously. Regardless it's not designed for diving and that's not the point of it being waterproof/water resistent anyway but it's nice to know that I can use it in the rain and not worry about it fogging up or rusting or malfunctioning. You can use it underwater without any problems, but like I said it's not designed for diving. 8)

Yep, like I said earlier, they're NOT designed for diving. In fact, they are generally rated as Water Resistent. The Surefires are generally considered to be more water proof though also not meant to be dive lights. 150ft still seems quite high btw.

PC-Engine said:
As for the X03, I doubt the lense rattles since the design is fixed ie there is no head section like on traditional flashlights. The whole body IS the head and you cannot disassemble or unscrew the lense assembly. It's sealed in the stainless steel compartment. The only thing that's removable is the tail cap for battery replacement.

I've read this on more than one website about the TIROS lens rattling.

PC-Engine said:
This isn't your run of the mill Maglite.

I don't think I intimated it was - just pointing out some issues that have been passed on from others who already own the X03. Maybe it's be fixed?

PC-Engine said:
As for tactical lights, Inova has the Tactical line too but I don't like them.

Yes, they are for the more hardcore crowd (as are the Surefires especially since the Surefires are designed for the military/SWAT crowd).

PC-Engine said:
Also the Surefires don't last too long with rechargeable Li-ion CR123A cells. The bulbs burn out prematurely with the higher voltage rechargeables.

Yep, the Surefires generally don't last as long as their Inova counterpart. I haven't heard about the bulbs burnng out - and they shouldn't since they have a digital current limiter.

Before I got my X1, I looked at Longbow flashlights too. They're very nice quality too and they say it's waterproof to 200 ft. and was actually hydrostatically tested to 250 ft. The Surefires are nice but they're pretty weak and are only waterproof to 33 ft.

http://www.longbowgear.com/

I've got an X1 which is a handy little torch. The small size and long battery life is a good point, but the beam is so tightly focussed it is limited in its usefulness. In hindsight I'd have probably paid a bit more to get the X5 which I understand has a much wider beam spread albeit at a 50% higher price. I was put off by the high cost of the CR123A batteries, not realising you could buy them so cheap on-line. :oops:

Back