Two graphics cards...help

obobski

Newcomer
Ok, so I want to run 3 monitors on my system, and I don't want to buy a Matrox, I have my AGP 6800GT installed and working fine with two monitors, and I have my 3rd monitor on the desk next to me not doing anything, and a PCI MX 4000 sitting on a shelf in it's lil baggy...

I had this set-up working once before, but took it apart because at the time I didn't have the physical space to accomidate 3 monitors for daily use, I now do, I tried it a few days ago it totally messed up windows, tried to load ForceWare 52.x for the MX 4000 and ForceWare whatever for the 6800GT (whatever it's currently running, 8x. something)

Needless to say, that caused a lot of problems, I'm wondering if anyone has a clue how to get it to work again?

You should only need to load one set of drivers and let windows detect both cards, since they are both Nvidia cards.

I don't think you could run two different versions of Nvidia drivers on one machine.

yes, recent drivers on old cards are not useful to have with nvidia, but they don't hurt either. Nvidia maintains compatibility, in contrary to its red, canadian concurrent.

Well, I was actually here to post about a somewhat similar situation, but not exactly. My stepfather has (at my recommendation) purchased a third monitor for his rig, which currently consists of an X300 pcie card on an Xpress 200 (rs480) motherboard. I was under the impression SurroundView might "just work" for him, but as it hasn't, and I don't have three monitors to test my similar setup (x1800 on Xpress 200) to see how it works. I don't even have CCC installed ^^; so it's not as easy to help him as maybe it should be.

He's plugged the third monitor into the mobo video out, and told me the BIOS says video is "ON" (it's an MSI mobo built for compaq, which further complicates things), but the third monitor sits there and claims "no signal".

This system seems like a great feature but searching ATi's knowlege base yielded no info, and I haven't stumbled across the right google search terms yet, either. :p I can give my stepfather reasonably complex instructions, as he's a skilled programmer, but can't expect him to diagnose much by himself, since he doesn't seem to have any inkling about hardware that's not 100% plug-n-play. ;)

Back