TWIMTBR

No time right now, stay tuned and i'll try to explain it better.

And Dig, no insult intended cause I actually like you but I think many have allready written you off as biased.

ByteMe said:
And Dig, no insult intended cause I actually like you but I think many have allready written you off as biased.
None taken, but I hope you know better than to write me off as biased. :)

digitalwanderer said:
ByteMe said:

You mean you're not biased? :?
You come across as a raving fanATIc in your posts.

digitalwanderer said:
ByteMe said:
Dig... you're biased, and we all know it. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
You mean you're not biased? :?
You come across as a raving fanATIc in your posts.
The Baron said:
Dig... you're biased, and we all know it. :)
Y'all wound me! :(

I'm not biased in the "sell-out" meaning of the term, but I'll admit I'm biased by some companies performance/products/antics/dirtyslimeyevilnastyunderhanded tactics and such. :)

In that sense, yeah...a little. ;)

Reverend said:
ByteMe, you're essentially talking about a lot of "if" scenarios.

I don't particularly care about other websites and what folks think of them. But you said that "even the holy B3D has some bias". I'd like you to back that up. Read all our reviews/articles/etc. Pick up anything we wrote that you regard as us having "bias". Be specific.

All the while knowing we get all these video cards/hardware/whathaveyous for "free".

If you can do this, hence proving your understanding/definition of what "bias" is or how it can happen, then you've made your point. If you can't, then all that you've offered are nothing but baseless speculations or just a whole lot of beer-talk.

Remember, I don't care about other sites, just ours.

First off my discussion about bias is not directed at B3D, but at the industry in general. The principle applies to everything in life.

Some of you think I immediatly lable anyone that has ever taken a card as extremely biased. I have never said this.

My arguement is very simple... You can not accept any gift regardless of value without the appearance of bias. It is a VERY simple conflict of interest, and thus easily made into black and white issue.

I would also say that anyone that does take a card is in fact biased. This bias could be very small but it is still there.

bi·as P Pronunciation Key (bs)
n.
A line going diagonally across the grain of fabric: Cut the cloth on the bias.
A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.
An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice.
A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.
Sports.
A weight or irregularity in a ball that causes it to swerve, as in lawn bowling.
The tendency of such a ball to swerve.
The fixed voltage applied to an electrode.

Do you see anywhere in the definition where it states how much of an preference it takes to make a bias? NO.

Now the question is how much of a bias is acceptable? I would suggest the goal should be ZERO. Since real life does not work this way a zero bias is just a goal.

So then my next question would be why accept ANY influence for a bias by taking a card? The "weaker" people will argue that this is what some have to do to survive/make it. Bull pucky, that is just a coop-out.

Another thing is a slight bias is not always such an evil thing. But then this goes back to the question on just how much bias is acceptable.

Reverend, the reason a bias is bad is because of the difficulity it can be for everyone else to detect. And do you really want me go search through the forumns to find every little hint of a bias? I would find many, but all of them would be arguable and fairly petty.

SO, why take the chance of even just the APPEARANCE of bias (or even a slight bias) by accepting the cards?

ByteMe what happens if nvidia gives me 2 high end video cards and ati gives me 1 but i give ati the best review ever writen. Does it make me bias towards ati that I did that because they gave me a card ?

jvd said:
ByteMe what happens if nvidia gives me 2 high end video cards and ati gives me 1 but i give ati the best review ever writen. Does it make me bias towards ati that I did that because they gave me a card ?

You don't seem to get it. What if at the same time you gave ATI the best review ever you gave Nvidia the best reviews ever? Or what if you gave tham a better review than you should of?

ByteMe said:
jvd said:

You don't seem to get it. What if at the same time you gave ATI the best review ever you gave Nvidia the best reviews ever? Or what if you gave tham a better review than you should of?
No i'm not getting it and that may be my fault.

What happens if ati sends me a review sample that needs to be sent back and I have to go buy an nvidia card to test. Do I give the nvidia card a better review since I now own it or do I give the ati card the better review cause ati let me use it for free and because of that I will make moeny off the review ?

The next question of interest to me is at what price will you openly be biased? I have seen people that are biased on about 10 bux, where others would take several thousand to be biased. Where are you?

ByteMe said:
The next question of interest to me is at what price will you openly be biased? I have seen people that are biased on about 10 bux, where others would take several thousand to be biased. Where are you?
IF your asking me its quite simple. Right now I favor ati since they have the best gpu out there . I used to favor nvidia though and I would tell all my non tech friends to buy the geforce 3. But I switched over with the radeon 8500 aiw becasue I got really into video editing.

My only really strong bias is against sony and thats why I allways say before I talk about anything sony that I don't like sony or its products.

I wonder how long most on-the-shelf PC magazines would last if they had to buy every game, application, piece of hardware etc they reviewed, just to avoid the suggestion of bias? I would wager that a single issue would bankrupt most publications.

ByteMe said:
Some of you think I immediatly lable anyone that has ever taken a card as extremely biased. I have never said this.

You two quotes below plainly show that you did state someting very simular to this.

ByteMe said:
NEVER accept/take/keep review samples. This makes your credibility ZERO.

ByteMe said:
Accepting any "gift" kills the credibility. This is a very black and white issue.

A lot of people would think that when you lable people with "Zero credibility" would be calling them extremely bais.

Beyond 3D don't benchmark between vendors only within vendors, sounds pritty unbias to me......

micb said:
A lot of people would think that when you lable people with "Zero credibility" would be calling them extremely bais.

I was splitting hairs, but credibiblity and bias are different, even if one effects the other.

Hanners said:
I wonder how long most on-the-shelf PC magazines would last if they had to buy every game, application, piece of hardware etc they reviewed, just to avoid the suggestion of bias? I would wager that a single issue would bankrupt most publications.

That I believe is where the "great" ones will think of a way around this problem. It just seems so many people are willing to accept mediocre.

**edit**

The good thing COULD be that B3D is one of the closest to this. B3D could transition to this higher standard quicker than anyone else. Why don't they?

jvd said:
ByteMe said:
IF your asking me its quite simple. Right now I favor ati since they have the best gpu out there . I used to favor nvidia though and I would tell all my non tech friends to buy the geforce 3. But I switched over with the radeon 8500 aiw becasue I got really into video editing.

My only really strong bias is against sony and thats why I allways say before I talk about anything sony that I don't like sony or its products.

I will admit I have seen a few complaints about Sony without ever looking into it. What has Sony done that makes you dislike them? Maybe this should be another thread.

ByteMe said:
jvd said:
ByteMe said:

I will admit I have seen a few complaints about Sony without ever looking into it. What has Sony done that makes you dislike them? Maybe this should be another thread.
2 car subs that burnt out after 2 weeks and I was not overpowering them. A cd player for the car that stoped working 3 months into it. A dvd player that would stop half way through dvds. Sent it back cause it was under warrenty got another that did the same. 2 playstations that have died for no reason and a ps2 that I need to tilt to get to work even after cleaning the drives. Its also not how I take care of the system since I still have a working intellivision and an atari 2600.

Back