Tombraider C., good envirorment, bad models, why?

Moonblade said:
To be honest ... both :smile:

I don't understand why you want to compare a car model with a character model because you can't make any conclusions based on that.
I think 20K polygons for a next-gen character model is ok. I agree Lara isn't looking that impressive but not necessarily because the model doesn't have enough polygons.

I think that a 20K poly model is ok, for xbox1
another thing that I think is that I don't will get old gen games in my 399 $ current gen console

maybe this can make the thing so simple that even you will understand the point ;)

they put the geometrical and texture detail to the envirorment, givin at the first model of the game, the look of a old gen model

they have an hardware capable of fn3, pg3, graw, oblivion, moving milions of polys but they made the model with only 20k polys

there's something of sick in this, tomb raider is a sad game saga, an average game with average gameplay, the only thing that make of TB a success is the Lara's model, with this game, the model is shitty, low textures on low polys
the back is made with 8-12 polys,:LOL: even with a powerful hardware like the 360, the hands too, I will give no $ for a 360/pc game that looks old gen :rolleyes:

look at the pic I posted up, I've used rumble rose, but I can use a lot of games to explain my thoughs

tomb raider is going worse time by time

london-boy said:
It's the best Lara has ever looked in a game, as it should be really, but it looks plain bad when considering it will be the only character on screen most of the time and the platform will only have to render pretty but still fairly simple backgrounds.

Another cash in on the Tomb Raider franchise, not sure why people are getting excited.

I agree 100%

london-boy said:
It's the best Lara has ever looked in a game, as it should be really, but it looks plain bad when considering it will be the only character on screen most of the time and the platform will only have to render pretty but still fairly simple backgrounds.

Another cash in on the Tomb Raider franchise, not sure why people are getting excited.

Because if it as true to the first game as they say it is, then it is something to get excited about, TR 1 was the reason i bought a PS1 and was an awesome game.

If your a graphics whore don't buy it, but i will be getting it because i expect it to be a pretty good game.

As far as graphics go i think it look pretty good, maybe not next gen, but its still nice to look at.

GB123 said:
Because if it as true to the first game as they say it is, then it is something to get excited about, TR 1 was the reason i bought a PS1 and was an awesome game.

If your a graphics whore don't buy it, but i will be getting it because i expect it to be a pretty good game.

As far as graphics go i think it look pretty good, maybe not next gen, but its still nice to look at.

Personally i think the first Tomb Raider was cool.. In 1996.

Since then there have been so many games that have done the "exploration, kill here, kill there, find this, stick it here" thing so much better, with better stories and graphics and sound and especially CONTROLS, that even if a game came out now that was "like the first Tomb Raider" but with updated graphics, i wouldn't give a damn.

Tomb Raider 1 was a good PS1 game. We're 2 bloody generations ahead now, and they still can't get it right? (that's me assuming this Tomb Raider will be as lame as every other Tomb Raider since N.2, since i have no reason to believe it will be good, i mean by that token, all other Tomb Raider games should have been awesome, from what the publishers said before release, only they weren't)

chroniceyestrain said:
The Lara MODEL has 2x the polys and 12x the textures of current gen Lara MODEL.
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3147811&did=1

yes, and the grass has 7,5x the polys of old gen
media

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

london-boy said:
Tomb Raider 1 was a good PS1 game. We're 2 bloody generations ahead now, and they still can't get it right? (that's me assuming this Tomb Raider will be as lame as every other Tomb Raider since N.2, since i have no reason to believe it will be good, i mean by that token, all other Tomb Raider games should have been awesome, from what the publishers said before release, only they weren't)

Well, TRL is not being made by the same team that did the last few games. IIRC, development has gone back into the hands of the original developer of TR.

london-boy said:
The PS2 version of Tomb Raider, or any game for that matter, will use much more than 2MB for textures. A lot of Main Ram is used for textures, always has, but i could understand if they really really don't know what they're doing and only used the EDRAM for textures, which is laughable in this day and age.

There were a lot of early PS2 games probably including Tomb Raider, that never uploaded textures to EDRAM.

Many of them actually pushed more polys than many of the later titles because of the reduced strain on the bus.

Alstrong said:
Well, TRL is not being made by the same team that did the last few games. IIRC, development has gone back into the hands of the original developer of TR.

TRL is being done by a new team, Crytal Dynamics. Every game before this was developed by Core.

chroniceyestrain said:
TRL is being done by a new team, Crytal Dynamics. Every game before this was developed by Core.

I mean the actual person, not the team name. The original guy left Core a long time ago.

That's him! Thanks ;)

Lara sure has some nice curves in that headstand screen. :D It'd be pretty neat if her boobies got pushed together or had some really good physics applied. And by neat, I mean omgwtfshe'sjusta3dvirtualcharacter :p

:LOL:

Griffith said:
I compare TRC with mgs, RE4, pg3, fn3 etc
the genre doesn't matter when the differences are so big

we are talking of polys throughput, poly/sec, poly/model

Last gen poly/model comparison
mgs ps2 4K
re4 GC 6K
xbox av. 6-10K

Current Gen:
TRC 360 20K
pgr3 100K
FN3 3.000K NM

again, I'm talking of polys and engine, not gameplay, this is clear ;)

the '24 MB that are 12x the ps2 text mem' thing, is simply wrong
ps2 can use general mem banks to store texts, not only edram ;)

I'd bet the xbox average poly count is considerably lower than that, but makes up for it with bump mapping. Certainly Leon and Snake look better than the average models on xbox or any other system.
BTW, Leon on Gamecube was 10k polys, 5k on Ps2. Master Chief from Halo is supposed to be around 1.2k polys, though I'm not sure if this number is from Halo 1 or Halo 2. Supposendy, the Halo 1 model had more polys but inferior bump mapping, though either way I'm sure it's not significantly different from one game to the next.

Back