Tinfoil strikes back!

I wonder if it would be possible to blow the RFID chip on purpose using EMP, and if so, how a sufficiently large discharge could be generated...

Would perhaps microwaving the passport at maximum setting do the trick?

Also, I wonder if those antistatic bags circuit boards come in would be effective in blocking out RFID signals. Would be much more convenient than wrapping the thing up in very fragile metal foil.

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Guden Oden said:
I wonder if it would be possible to blow the RFID chip on purpose using EMP, and if so, how a sufficiently large discharge could be generated...

Would perhaps microwaving the passport at maximum setting do the trick?

Probably, but you run the risk of burning a big hole in your passport.

Guden Oden said:
How would that be possible? Microwaves don't heat inorganic matter...

Try a metal spoon or a CD...

The waves follow conductors and create relatively large currents, like miniature lightning.

Guden Oden said:
How would that be possible? Microwaves don't heat inorganic matter...

I was thinking more along the lines of the induced current causing the chip's antenna to burn and ignite the passport.

burn out the chip just to foil someone from potentially capturing your passport data? sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face
Congratulations! your passport is now safe from thieves - and its also completely invalid!

might as well just cross out your name with crayon and write in "Chucky Fastpitch" as your name.

Why accept ANYTHING with biometrics tied to it????

It's rediculous (We just want to track and trace you along with knowing all your history on a passport that's all? Why are you alarmed? Have some alcohol, watch TV, and go back to sleep..)

Kill RFID and kill these ID cards with all this information, too much big brother.

And if you dare say, "Well they're tracking us already!" Check out this analogy: If you go to the doctor with two broken legs and one broken arm, the doctor says, "well we better break your other arm since the rest of your limbs are broken." That is INSANE!!!!

because the chip would be one of its security features. thats like not liking your passport photo and cutting it out to put in one that shows off your good side. you'd have to really love cavity searches to try and get through an airport with that

Solzhenitsyn said:
because the chip would be one of its security features. thats like not liking your passport photo and cutting it out to put in one that shows off your good side. you'd have to really love cavity searches to try and get through an airport with that

So you're basically saying "they're going to do it to us anyway, so lets roll over and not cause a fuss here".

Sorry, think through biometrics, to their fullest extent, how they will work, what will be required of the average person in Western society to make them work. Think it through for yourself, if you know anything about IT use your experience in that too. The conclusions are quite sobering.

Would have been nice if the RFID chip's data could only have been interpreted by using a barcode key (or similar) printed inside the passport. Having it unencrypted is just extending an invitation for it to be used.

Naturally, passports are just the first step in a process to desensitive people to these things so they'll become more prevalent and holding ever more personal data about us. It's not a tinfoil hatter idea, it goes hand in hand with what we know about the professional carreer politician/capitalist extortionist pig of today. That's how these people think.

First they come up with ideas that suits their purposes. Then they think of ways to make us accept them. Mention terrorism and seven-eleven and you're halfway there already as it stands now.

I think you have completely misinterpreted my input on this issue. I dont have a problem with biometrics being on my passport. The idea that the information would be easily intercepted naturally worries me, and the powers that be should take steps to fix this. Im merely asserting that sabotating your passport by damaging the chip is not the answer; well not if you plan on travelling out of the country anytime soon.

Best case scenario would be having to wait for a new passport to be issued (90 days?) or having to pay the processing fee for a new one. Worst case is they suspect you of tampering with an official passport - have fun getting a visa after that.

Back