Thinking of building a new rig...

Meh, I don't like crippled chips. It's a hangup of mine. :p And, the full titan is way expensive (like, over twice the price of a vega last I checked.)

Also, the 1080 series of chips are kinda old now... NV should have come out with a replacement, only they won't because AMD still offers too little competition. Vega is also more feature-complete, which I like. I might never get much use of said features during these cards' effective lifespan, but just knowing they're there makes me happy.

Meh, I don't like crippled chips. It's a hangup of mine. :p And, the full titan is way expensive (like, over twice the price of a vega last I checked.)

Also, the 1080 series of chips are kinda old now... NV should have come out with a replacement, only they won't because AMD still offers too little competition. Vega is also more feature-complete, which I like. I might never get much use of said features during these cards' effective lifespan, but just knowing they're there makes me happy.
I hear you man and it's not like you'll be wanting for performance even with a single Vega64 :)

Because...why not? Does everything have to be for a specific reason? I've only ever had quad core or less CPUs, it would be fun with something bigger for a change.
I was just asking since it seems you plan on gaming so a 6 core would suit you better... so I was wondering if you do video editing or something.

...Need more dumb answers?
Isn't big single GPU better than Crossfire/SLI? Less problems, more games at higher framerates...

edit - do you have a 4k setup or 144hz?

Isn't big single GPU better than Crossfire/SLI? Less problems, more games at higher framerates...
He knows all that, he just wants to go big. Also he has a phobia of crippled GPUs. I used to hate crippled cards as well until I got an 8800GTS and I was like yea this thing is fast as fuck I don't care any more. Every card since then has qualified for disability since that's where the value is.

I was just asking since it seems you plan on gaming so a 6 core would suit you better... so I was wondering if you do video editing or something.
Browsing, gaming, Folding@Home mainly. I don't have high needs per se, I'm just a computer enthusiast who enjoys his hobby.

Isn't big single GPU better than Crossfire/SLI?
Yes, but two is more than one. :) I'd stop at 2 tho, I totally don't need 3 or 4... :p

edit - do you have a 4k setup or 144hz?
When HDR freesynch displays appear on the market I'll get a 27" >=1440P screen some day with as many Hz:s as I can get on it, but for now my current display have to suffice. It's still fairly decent.

When HDR freesynch displays appear on the market I'll get a 27" >=1440P screen some day with as many Hz:s as I can get on it, but for now my current display have to suffice. It's still fairly decent.

Did someone mention they were looking for HDR Freesync monitors? :D

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-unveils-hdr-enabled-qled-gaming-monitors/

The 27" (SAMSUNG C27HG70) QLED monitor has a MSRP of 599 USD. Amazon and Newegg list it at 549 USD. The one drawback is that it doesn't have a high max brightness. So you're getting the expanded contrast range of HDR but not the blinding brights.

Regards,
SB

Ok, so I splurged. Dropped down to a Samsung 960 Evo because maybe that's fast enough, and do I really need to spend the extra money? :p Otherwise, list is as in the original post.

Bought more of those damned Noctua fans too, can't seem to be able to shake them. :LOL: One extra 140mm to mount on the CPU cooler (because why the hell not), and four 140mm for the chassis itself.

So Gentle Typhoons are no longer all the rage? The EVO is a good choice. Slightly less durable but will likely outlive any rig by decades. Reading this is bad though because it has me wanting to build a new rig too. Since I'm (for no good reason) into water cooling I find myself trying hard not to buy this Thermaltake case to which I would add castors:
Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 3.53.57 PM.png
http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Cube_Case_/Core/C_00002562/Core_X9/design.htm

must...resist...

So Gentle Typhoons are no longer all the rage?
I'm sure they're great, It's just not what I'm familiar with. I've been using exclusively Noctua since 2008 or thereabouts. They've been good to me, not a single one has worn out or made any rattling noises or anything like that. They just keep spinning.

So Gentle Typhoons are no longer all the rage?

Yup... Scythe... haven't heard of them in years. So you missed about a decade of Noctua reign. Noctua & Noiseblocker are the new kids in town.

I also own almost 10 Noctua fans, they all preserve their (amazing) acoustic characteristics for years and years. Once I bought a few fans from their cheaper Redux line, and one fan sounded bad out of the factory. As if it were some cheap Antec Tricool (or whatever their designation is). So I'd avoid Redux, and hapilly hoard everything else they produce

My Scythe Ninja Mini was amazing. Too bad one of the 4 plastic clips broke and it is useless now :(

Because of reasons I am using a Noctua NH-L9i 92mm on my 4GHz 3770K. Temps can get into the upper 80s which IMO is not bad at all for such a tiny HSF. My next CPU upgrade probably won't be a CPU at all, but a beefier cooler so I can take this thing to ~4.5GHz. Much, much cheaper than springing for a new mobo, CPU, DDR4 and other shit. I recognize a 4500MHz 3770K is still a far cry from even a stock 8700K, but at 4GHz my CPU has never let me down in any games I've thrown at it.

Will wait for the next tick or tock before I consider a full rebuild since I've heard some interesting (albeit confusing) things are in the pipeline WRT the Intel mainstream desktop platform. And maybe by then Ryzen v2 will make sense for me from a gaming perspective.

Last edited:
I had soon great Scythe stuff too. Before I went H2O I had 2x6970 (one a flashed 6950), but they were noisy as spit so I put these uber cool Scythe HSFs on them, but the fans weren't pwm so zero fan control.

I managed to get Scythe to sell me some low profile pwm fans for them and it was sweetness.

Because of reasons I am using a Noctua NH-L9i 92mm on my 4GHz 3770K. Temps can get into the upper 80s which IMO is not bad at all for such a tiny HSF.
As mentioned up above, I bought my NH-U14 some 4+ years ago (and it's still on sale and amongst the best air coolers out there...), and it wouldn't fit the mobo of my current rig (Haswell). So I went out and bought a NH-U12 instead, which does fit quite well, heh. Anyway, this cooler, fan put in pull arrangement rather than push, at ultra low speed still sufficiently cools (along with another chassis fan blowing air onto the sink, granted) my 4770k running at 4GHz all cores.

Sure, the cooler gets warm running like that, but not hot, and the CPU itself is far from cooking too. Noctua makes some really good air coolers.

IMO Noctua is head and shoulders above the competition.

Did you find that the pull arrangement was better than push? Or is pull the only option with that HSF?

Or is pull the only option with that HSF?
Heh, I'm pretty sure push would be (maybe far) superior than pull, but there was no possibility to squeeze in the tower cooler and the nearby chassis fan that way, due to the unusual internal layout. I had to move the fan behind the sink for things to fit, but as it turned out it wasn't a problem. Cooling is just fine anyway! :)

If you wanna take a look, it's the Silverstone Fortress FT-03. Very easy to work in on the whole since the front and side come off completely leaving just a sparse frame surrounding the mobo space, but the wonkiness of the layout causes other issues instead elsewhere.

Btw, CPU and memory have arrived. Just waiting now on all the rest of the stuff. Oh, and Vega graphics cards too of course, but still no ETA on those. :p

Btw, CPU and memory have arrived. Just waiting now on all the rest of the stuff. Oh, and Vega graphics cards too of course, but still no ETA on those. :p

So jelous :(

My problem is that I really want to buy that 2k Ultra High End Skylake X (with 2 Liquid Vegas and 500 - 600+ ish RAM). I have to overcome my guilt for spending as much first...

I got home about 20 minutes ago. Not ordering direct delivery for the casing, mobo, PSU and that stuff was not my brightest idea ever; fuck; high-end PC parts are HEAVY! <---stupid first-world complaint!

I just about managed to pack all of the fans (5 140mm, 1 120mm), fanguards for the same, mobo, PSU, SSD, windows box (both of these teensy-tiny boxes) into a very large sportsbag with shoulder strap. Carried the box with the casing in my hands. Walked maybe a kilometer back to the bus terminal, got on the bus, rode home, carried it several hundred meters more, got home, took pic of all my stuff, made pot of tea, unpacked all my gear and arranged it on kitchen table and took another pic, collapsed into PC chair and got on B3D... :LOL:

We'll see when I've gathered the energy to start assembling everything. That'll take me a couple hours at least, especially if I want to be a stickler and rubber-mount all the case fans.

COUPLE HOURS! HAH!

I'm still not nearly done!!!

Ok, so I'm down to hooking stuff up to mobo/PSU, and cable routing, but working in such a tiny chassis with such big components makes everything take much longer than it would otherwise. I can't plug in the CPU power connectors with the CPU cooler or top case fans in. I can't pull the cooler, because I can't get its cooling fans off when mobo is screwed down in the chassis and the top case fans are in place.

I ended up yanking the fans out to be able to plug in the cables. I'll need a rest first before returning with fresh energy to snake those brutes of a cable down through the top grommeted cable openings. It's gonna be super tight but I'm confident I can make it work! Just need a good night of sleep I think, and I'll manage. Getting the case fans back in place are going to be the real issue. :LOL: Playing PC component Tetris really isn't as much fun as one would think it is... again with the first-world problems! sheesh!

Then again - and this I had suppressed the memories of, because it was such an awful experience - cable routing was tight as hell in my previous rig as well, but now cables seem to be made of even thicker gauges, and there's these ginormous lumps of what must be capacitors shrinkwrapped onto the ends of the cables as well now. I didn't have that on my previous rig's cables - and just as well probably because I doubt everything would have fit then.

Back