The Silent Hill series (actual news)

This franchise is nothing but nostalgia and hype because it may possibly be exclusive. If history is any indication, these new titles won't sell much at all. All prior Silent Hill titles combined are under 10 Million.
There is nostalgia because the experience was unique for those that experienced it, with no good Silent Hill game in ages.

PT raised hugely the interest of what could have been done in the horror genre to a wider audience. I ve seen people who never played the series, getting themselves informed about previou sgames, wanting it's return because of it.

By design Silent Hill was less likely to be mainstream. There was less gore, less action compared to its competitors like Resident Evil. It's sales numbers dont reflect on how great the first Silent Hill games were, especially 1 and 2.
I am not sure how many units games that rely more on psychological horror sell compared to those that have a lot of blood and action. But I do get the impression that they generally sell significantly less Regardless Silent Hill 2 was a deep experience and is strongly imprinted in people's mind's.

The game is PC and Console Timed Exclusive so we know it is not exclusive to PS5. I am confident that the interest would have been equally strong even if it announced on all systems simultaneously

We are optimistic people. But do you know on other forums and stuff, people are still attacking Konami?

I mean... WHY? This is the most they've ever done for this franchise in particular, since 2012. Yet folk still want to complain!? Make jokes about packinko machines and this no name Hasan fellow, that aren't in the slightest bit hilarious? :p

Meh. :(

Somehow I missed the Silent Hill games. And the moves were weird. Very weird.

Somehow I missed the Silent Hill games. And the moves were weird. Very weird.
I saw only the first movie. My impression of the first is that it got some things good and some things not so much. They changed some things they shouldnt have. The Pyramid Head shouldnt have been present in the first movie. His role is specific and deep. He isn't a generic boogie man. The particles aren't ash. It's snow and that also plays its role. There is a symbolism between the two Silent Hill demensions (snow, light and calm vs dark, painful and noisy). They didnt have to overdo it with special effects. Sometimes less is more. The other thing they got wrong is that they focused too much on uncomfortable violence and imagery and less with the power of suggestion.

The games are very surreal and eerie and yes, very very strange. They play a lot with psychology, symbolisms, suggestions and the unknown. A lot of things are not explained. They are suggested. It is one of the most important things the movie got wrong and also tried to explain literally. Some games tried to mimic it, but I dont think there is one that got the Silent Hill formula right. The style of the soundtrack is characteristic of the series too. The original Team Silent were masters in creating a unqiue nightmarish, eerie, outwordly yet very very grounded world. Its almost as if you sense the environment beyond the sound and visuals. There is the unseen. And you can almost "smell" the moist decayed world.
Unfortunately after the movie, the newer teams, tried to mimic the movie more instead of maintaining the original.

I think part of the amazing work Team Silent did is thanks to mixing western horror literature like Stephen King's work with japanese horror culture, thus producing a masterful amalgam. Since Japanese didnt have the budget and technology of Hollywood (like anime where they were focusing on tricks that required the least use of animated frames), their horror movies compensated by elevating the atmosphere as much as possible with the least use of special effects. And I feel thats where Silent Hill exceled.

In the early games the fog was used to cover up the poor render distance and limits of hardware back then.

I would love to see them use the fog for that same purpose in the remake and purposefully dial back the render distance to free up more resources to really increase the fidelity.

The remake looks amazing, and they confirmed that they will use UE5 with Lumen and Nanite! This is I think one of the first actually announced and showcased AAA games that will use full capability of UE5.

I quite liked the general visual level, everything is so detailed. Skin deformation in the sink scene at the beginning. The light briefly coming through the left side of the door [at the hinges side] of the bathroom just as the door is closing.

I'm eagerly awaiting for them to showcase more of it.

The remake looks amazing, and they confirmed that they will use UE5 with Lumen and Nanite! This is I think one of the first actually announced and showcased AAA games that will use full capability of UE5.
The first i remember was Arc Raiders at the beginning of the year.

The Japanese game looks interesting. Don't get me wrong. I just think I would have preferred a more contemporary offering, since it has been way too long without a new game. The remake is technically not particularly new, is it? I mean, it's a game that recycles an old storyline from 2001.

They didn't show The Short Message, and that had a similar looking creature with flowers on the body. Could they be related, somehow?

I saw for the first time the Sillent Hill 2 trailer at 4k on my TV and this is borderline very low budget offline rendering. There are some glitches with DOF very visible on trouser when we see the shoes of the character and some dithering or glitch in the hair during the noose scene, Not 100% sure but it seems the Pyramid head "mask" clip though the door-frame at the end of the trailer. I think foliage too is reminiscent of realtime and non experimental UE 5.1 foliage. This is the best cockroach rendering.

Last edited:
I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like Resident Evil 4........ It has nothing to do with Silent Hill other than the name.
Yeah seems like it. But still too early. Looks pretty good and interesting. Doesnt have anything that communicates silent hill in that trailer.

Yeah seems like it. But still too early. Looks pretty good and interesting. Doesnt have anything that communicates silent hill in that trailer.

The character of the Silent Hill town itself was a massive part of the games and one biggest lures of the franchise, seeing a trailer without the town and still calling it Silent Hill doesn't sit good with me.

Resi 4 was a good game, but it wasn't a Resi game.

Back