The Outer Worlds, by Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division [XO, PS4, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by BRiT, Dec 7, 2018.

1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Watch the official announcement trailer for The Outer Worlds, a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Cyan, Silent_Buddha, eloyc and 2 others like this.
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Game really took me by surprise. I'm very excited coming out of the trailer here.

3. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Been a while since they haven’t done work other than an isometric. Looking forward to this!

5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Looks very interesting! :yes:

6. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Definitely one to check out, thanks!

7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Cyan, DSoup and Malo like this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, this instantly goes onto my want to play list. :)

The original Fallout creators having a hand in this is just a huge bonus to Obsidian working on it. So that's like Storytelling taken to a higher plane. O.O

Regards,
    SB

Cyan likes this.
  9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

that, plus hearing the words "single player" made me feel moved

Billy Idol likes this.
  10. DSoup

DSoup meh

I watched the Game Informer gameplay and this level of humour is not appealing to me. I hopped it was be dark humour like the original Fallout games but this is a different vibe entirely. It also feels from the dialogue options that responses are limited, e.g. when they use intimidate options the NPC responds like someone not intimidated with the actual dialogue feeling flat and the actual response that could have been to any of the other dialogue options.

This happens a lot in New Vegas too, where many options would about exploiting some XP and had little impact on the conversation tree itself. The cost of voicing everything I guess.

lefantome and BRiT like this.
  11. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I agree. I hope the dialog picks up. This might be early stuff, but the dialog isn’t as inline as I’m used to. But then again, after playing torment and PoE, which is basically novella reading, perhaps they are struggling with getting back to smaller texts.

DSoup likes this.
  12. lefantome

Newcomer

It seems something I would love at first sight but it's not.

I hope in a great game but I am not sold yet.

13. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Will get it on steam if the game turns out to be something, i like the setting.

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

https://www.techpowerup.com/250506/...ree-of-microtransactions-releases-screenshots

Obsidian Entertainment, which have recently announced their latest videogame in the form of "The Outer Worlds", have now come out of woodwork to assuage some fears gamers might have. In an increasingly microtransaction-ridden digital world, and perhaps not helped by the Microsoft acquisition that Obsidian Entertainment has undergone, fears of microtransactions being added to the game that's expected to be a Fallout spiritual successor naturally grew. Timothy Cain, original creator of Fallout, in an interview with Gamestar, put those thoughts to rest. He said, in no uncertain terms that "There are no microtransactions in the game. You buy it once and then enjoy it forever."

AlphaWolf and Silent_Buddha like this.