The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugger. "The LAST LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation thread", ahoy? :smile: Or would that be tempting fate?

From various reports on the net, its clear that editors day was already scheduled for March 11 and has now been cancelled. That's a fairly major step to take, and could not have been taken lightly.

It's starting to smell a lot like "family launch", and the only two previous family launchs I can think of were GFFX and X1k. Anyone remembering another one? Because those two are not super comforting precedents for the enthusiast segment.

It's starting to smell a lot like "family launch", and the only two previous family launchs I can think of were GFFX and X1k. Anyone remembering another one? Because those two are not super comforting precedents for the enthusiast segment.

I'm having "Voodoo5" vibes, myself.

ATI can be glad that Nvidia's Vista driver offering is subpar, because I was thinking of upgrading my GPU really soon...

Bugger. "The LAST LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation thread", ahoy? :smile: Or would that be tempting fate?

From various reports on the net, its clear that editors day was already scheduled for March 11 and has now been cancelled. That's a fairly major step to take, and could not have been taken lightly.
Looks like a serious hardware bug was discovered!?

Damn, if buying ATi becomes the reason for AMD to sunk I'll put on fire every ATi card I can found :(

PS: Barcelona == K10 (initially theinq thought its K8L)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or performance/$.

Well, I'm gonna build my own R600, with Black Jack and hookers...

SCNR.

"We know, RV610 sucks, but it's built on the leading technology of the most performant GPU in the universe - the R600." Perfect marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a serious hardware bug was discovered!?

I haven't heard anyone say that yet, and don't have any reason today to think it true. If you look at the language xbit quoted:

To better align our strategy with current market opportunities, we’ve changed the launch plan for R600. We are going to deliver a competitive configuration to market with an extremely attractive combination of performance, features and pricing, targeting a broader market segment in Q2

Then the impression you get is not hardware bug. That smells an awful lot like marketing dude language for "we're going to compete on price/performance/features rather than just performance."

I haven't heard anyone say that yet, and don't have any reason today to think it true. If you look at the language xbit quoted:

Then the impression you get is not hardware bug. That smells an awful lot like marketing dude language for "we're going to compete on price/performance/features rather than just performance."

Most of the users the performance counting in first place, and not the watt/$, watt/fps, and other PR craps.

AMD now need to release the lowend/mainstream cards in time, and hope the performance enough to compete.

In marketing you translate aiming lower to aiming wider.

Most of the users the performance counting in first place, and not the watt/$, watt/fps, and other PR craps.

AMD now need to release the lowend/mainstream cards in time, and hope the performance enough to compete.

More than anything, both vendors should try to release some upper midrange single-slot cards.

As for W/fps/$ etc., I am a perfect example of a (HTPC) user who will never again buy a 2-slot card or any card requiring a power plant to run. Besides being limited by the size of the HTPC housing, I already have proper heating at home, thankyouverymuch.

No, most people pick a price segment that reflects what they are willing to pay for this particular part of their entertainment budget first. Then they worry about other stuff.

In marketing you translate aiming lower to aiming wider.

If you mean lower in price, then yes, I agree that's what they are saying. I don't see any way to read that which doesn't mean they feel a need to be able to hit lower price points at launch than they originally intended when they scheduled an end of March launch.

I don't see any way to read that which doesn't mean they feel a need to be able to hit lower price points at launch than they originally intended when they scheduled an end of March launch.

Why would they feel that need? If, hypothetically, they had a part which wiped the floor with G80 they could charge what they liked for it. It's not like the global economy has gone into meltdown in the last week and everyone is suddenly tightening their belts. Is it the GTS 320 which is causing them angst?

I don't see any way to read that which doesn't mean they feel a need to be able to hit lower price points at launch than they originally intended when they scheduled an end of March launch.

Which probably means that the performance/$ is worse then for the G80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back