The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why people would like different naming schemes all of a sudden.
I mean,
I'd be perfectly happy if Intel would have launched a 586.
Am used to the newest GeForce cards being the previous generation +1 (GF8 = GF7+1)
I am used to new generation Radeons being the 1000 higher than the previous.

It's not like you guys actually have something against easy

identification,right?
X2 = better than X1
Besides,
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
AMD Radeon X2900XTX
That's some pretty coherent product branding right there.

It is also well possibility that AMD/ATI could make sudden change after X2900 series. Like back in good old days Nvidia made their first lineup with Geforce series.
Nvidia Geforce 256, Nvidia Geforce 2, Nvidia Geforce 3, Nvidia Geforce 4.

It may be well that 65nm ATI R650/R680 may have something like this!
AMD Radeon 6 Family series.... xxxx

Theroy? hehe, I would say it's almost certain.. JMHO. At least the scalar part that is. Clcok domains could be anyones guess, but, personally I think having a clock domain is a must when going scalar. :p

Oh, I'm aware that you would say it's certain :) I'm starting to think so as well, though I confess that my knowledge isn't exactly broad on the subject. I do hope that they're 128 Vec4 shaders though, as that would impress me a lot more than 128 scalars...because one of the two hasn't been done before.

If they are scalar, it still doesn't necessarily mean that they have multi ghz clocks as a design target... It could be vec4 and still be clocked very high if that is what they wanted in the design.

True...but ATI would feel a stronger need for clock domains with scalar shaders than they would with Vec4 due simply to the poorer performance of the scalars without the higher clock. While they COULD do it with Vec4, why? It won't make much of a difference financially if you beat your opponent by 20% or 200%.

I couldn't help but notice that TheInq put the R600XT as 256bit and lower GPU/MEM clocks, though they claim it still has 128pipes. If this is true, which I really hope it isn't (I'd like to see more than 1 card with the 512bit bus), then how is its core going to stay fed? Will it be memory bottlenecked? I know we can't answer these questions now, but I'm making note of this and I do hope it's wrong/bullshit.

PCIe 1.1 : 8Gbps
PCIe 2.0 : 16Gbps
Correct, but what does HDMI do with PCIe bandwith? Actually nothing.
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4678
that R600 architecture will utilize PCI Express x16 connection to the fullest by delivering both video and audio content using HDMI. R600 board will be shipped with at least one DVI-to-HDMI dongle, with DVI serving as the bandwidth provider for video and audio. R600 chip has the bandwidth to drive not one, but two HDMI ports at the same time with resolution at 1920x1080 (1080p or 2560x1440 (1440p).
My understanding is that with the coming R600 there will be no needed extern/intern connection between the sound card and video card. It will be possible to stream the new HD-audio formats (eg Dolby TrueHD) from your HD DVD or BD through PCIe 16x/R600 over HDMI directly to your receiver with HDMI. And it sounds like R600 will come with HDMI 1.3.

Do you know Black Magic Intensity? It's a HDMI-in card for PCIe 1x.

I couldn't help but notice that TheInq put the R600XT as 256bit and lower GPU/MEM clocks, though they claim it still has 128pipes. If this is true, which I really hope it isn't (I'd like to see more than 1 card with the 512bit bus), then how is its core going to stay fed? Will it be memory bottlenecked? I know we can't answer these questions now, but I'm making note of this and I do hope it's wrong/bullshit.

I think the liklihood that R600 has 128 pipes (or shaders rather, presumably) is something less than. . .I dunno. . . .0002%? It's small. s m capital ALL. SMALL. I mean, jeez, that's practically the guaranteed number it WON'T have. 64, 80, 96, 256, 320, 384, 480. . .these are all numbers that I might or might not like personally, but I wouldn't rule them out, largely because they're of the age old question "Yeah, how are you counting, bubbula?" But 128? Just really don't see it. :)

I think TheInq is wrong (again). ATI have never chopped the memory bus down between the XT and XTX models. Traditionally, the XTX just runs at faster clocks.

I think the liklihood that R600 has 128 pipes (or shaders rather, presumably) is something less than. . .I dunno. . . .0002%? It's small. s m capital ALL. SMALL. I mean, jeez, that's practically the guaranteed number it WON'T have. 64, 80, 96, 256, 320, 384, 480. . .these are all numbers that I might or might not like personally, but I wouldn't rule them out, largely because they're of the age old question "Yeah, how are you counting, bubbula?" But 128? Just really don't see it. :)
Is that still your personal favorite? :p

Which kind of ends that debate, lol. If it's stream it surely can't compete with less than 128. If it's Vec4, it sure can compete with less, which matches many of the rumors we've seen over the months. Of course, after G80 it's hard to trust rumors. Man, I'm back and forth on this...I don't know what to think anymore :).

You had a lot of fun with that post though, didn't you?

I think TheInq is wrong (again). ATI have never chopped the memory bus down between the XT and XTX models. Traditionally, the XTX just runs at faster clocks.

This is one of the reasons I like ATI. I had my eye on the XT model before the Inq freaked me out. I do hope that is just an "oversight" *cough* on Fuad's part. I just don't see any other way that they would provide enough bandwidth for the XT otherwise (unless, of course, their other specs are wrong as well...but as you said that's how ATI usually specs their top 2 cards).

I've been assuming XT/XTX would be 512bit while the XL would be 256bit or maybe 384bit if possible. 256bit on an XT is just asking for performance problems IMHO.

I've been assuming XT/XTX would be 512bit while the XL would be 256bit or maybe 384bit if possible. 256bit on an XT is just asking for performance problems IMHO.

Yeah, exactly. Between that and Geo's 'suggestion' that 128 shaders is out to lunch, I think it's safe to say that we have very little idea of what R600 will look like. I bet there's a tidbit or two in that Inq article that is correct, but there's no way for us to know at this point.

I'm hope the XL part is 512bit as well.

I would love it if the x2300 part was 512bit too! Well...I would...but I know it won't be.

In all serousness, that would be wicked-cool too, but I think they'll draw the line right above it. All i want is the closest-to-affordable 512bit bus card that is released, but I can't get it if it's only the top of the line :(

I would love it if the x2300 part was 512bit too! Well...I would...but I know it won't be.

In all serousness, that would be wicked-cool too, but I think they'll draw the line right above it. All i want is the closest-to-affordable 512bit bus card that is released, but I can't get it if it's only the top of the line :(

Why? I personally want the fastest card in my price bracket, could care less if the card has a 512-bit bus or a 128-bit bus.

Why? I personally want the fastest card in my price bracket, could care less if the card has a 512-bit bus or a 128-bit bus.

Well, if I were to buy the fastest card in my price bracket, I'm looking at the x2600 series at best :p

That said, I would be willing to somehow find a way to pay for it if it gave me a large e-penis.

ATi gave the x1800xl a 256bit bus just like the xt. I don't see why not for the x2900xl. Cut it down by shaders and ROP's(although not too much please hehe..:smile: ), and clock speed, but at least let me keep that new mouth dropping memory controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back