The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell that to (non-8800 series) SLI users...;)

I am perplexed as to why gamers would even consider moving to Vista. There is no reason to do it whatsoever. Other than the attraction to new shiny bright lights.

You sacrifice audio performance and quality if you have an accelerated sound card, lose RAM to fancy OS, lose driver maturity that has taken years to get right, add general software compatibility issues brought on by an OS unknown to lots of apps.... A list that goes on and on. I'm not sure what the advantage of Vista is, honestly.

Give it time people. Win2K sucked badly bad in its early days too. XP was basically ok from the get-go cuz it was really just 2K in a new ambiguous pastel outfit.

I am perplexed as to why gamers would even consider moving to Vista. There is no reason to do it whatsoever. Other than the attraction to new shiny bright lights.

You sacrifice audio performance and quality if you have an accelerated sound card, lose RAM to fancy OS, lose driver maturity that has taken years to get right, add general software compatibility issues brought on by an OS unknown to lots of apps.... A list that goes on and on. I'm not sure what the advantage of Vista is, honestly.

Give it time people. Win2K sucked badly bad in its early days too. XP was basically ok from the get-go cuz it was really just 2K in a new ambiguous pastel outfit.

Because Vista has DX10, has a more secure/stable driver model, and is the only MS OS that is wholly tested with IPv6. As a bonus they are starting the transition away from using the registry.

Because Vista has DX10, has a more secure/stable driver model, and is the only MS OS that is wholly tested with IPv6. As a bonus they are starting the transition away from using the registry.

1) the new driver model neccessitates rewrites of existing drivers, meaning you are using in essense, *BETA* drivers developed by developers who had to learn a new architecture. This will initially result in LESS STABILITY/MATURITY, so current Vista users are essentially guinea pigs.

2) IPV6 is IRRELEVENT first of all. Secondly, TCP stacks are notoriously difficult to get right, and MS through out a TCP stack that was mature with a long lineage and replaced it with one that was rewritten. It tooks decades for all the bugs in the BSD and NET TCP stacks to be found and removed, and I'm supposed to trust Vista's rewrite that has no public auditing of its source?

Vista has already crashed on me several times, in fact, it crashed in the SATA disk driver one time. There is no goddamn reason to use the "1.0" version of ANY Microsoft product. We all know that that the safest time to upgrade will be after about a year from now, when many of the initial bugs are fixed, just like with NT, 2k, and XP.

So I will repeat, there is little reason to go Vista given no DX10 games, unless you care only about the idiotic UI chrome redesign, the one where you the active and inactive windows look almost identical save for the 'X' :rolleyes: (ok, well, there is the UAC-super-annoying-cancel-or-allow-everything, providing a false sense of security, where you could fix 99% of your security problems by just not using Internet Explorer :) )

This whole "Vista is must have, so therefore, unstable GPU drivers are a huge market killer" is one of the most ludicrous arguments I've ever seen. Vista today is by and large, only relevent for people buying new computers, and people with a deathwish who want to buy expensive($$$) 1.0-release MS software.

Ok, i'll wait. BTW, does anyone know when Apples new OS will be released?

[edit]
BTW, this is the kind of thing we can look forward to from Microsoft. If anybody can say that this is not amazing innovation, then I don't know what to say.

http://labs.live.com/photosynth/view.html?collection=sanmarco/index1.sxs

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who has a guesstimate on how fast DDR4 the Rv630 will be equipped with? Unless its really fast I dont see this chip defeating the x1950pro other than in syntethic shader benchmarks.

L'Inq has chimed in, and it's not Fudo!!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37880

Why did this happen? It was scheduled for March, now it is set for May, a last minute change. In digging for answers I found out that there was no technical problem, it was almost entirely marketing. ATI was set for a low volume if at all launch at Cebit, and real introduction later on. Saner heads seem to have prevailed and pushed the launch out closer to availability. I could not get a solid answer as to why the parts that were final in January are not shipping until May though.
* Natoma splashes holy water on himself for his L'Inq-referencing transgression

:runaway: Aggghhhhhhh it burns!!!!! :runaway:

Many of the people I know who upgraded to G80s aren't even in a rush to upgrade to Vista. Tons of people are perfectly happy with XPSP2 until DX10 titles come out. Vista after all, is quite pricey and a resource hog, plus DRM'd out the wazoo. I was running it for a while, but then reformatted and went back to XPSP2. IMHO, Vista is overhyped and overblown, and there is no practical reason why a high-end GPU needs it until DX10 content arrives.

Count me in; as for DX10 content it depends what you mean by it. By the time real D3D10 games appear on shelves todays' high end GPUs will equal budget sollutions of the future.

"Saner heads?" Better some reports of R600 "selling out due to high demand" than another month or two of NV30 comparisons from the likes of us, IMHO. Again, I may be overestimating the buying public's awareness of the launch postponement or concern with R600's delay in following G80. (Let's see if I remember to compare R600 uptake in a few months to G80's current uptake [~9k] in Steam's survey.)

Count me in; as for DX10 content it depends what you mean by it. By the time real D3D10 games appear on shelves todays' high end GPUs will equal budget sollutions of the future.

So far as I can see, so far the gaming transition actually looks much better than it did for Win9X-->XP at this point.

So far as I can see, so far the gaming transition actually looks much better than it did for Win9X-->XP at this point.

I meant that developers have started fiddling around with D3D10 only recently; thus real D3D10 games should take at least 2-3 years down the line and no games that might require D3D10 or have a D3D10 path with a few spare performance optimisations don't count in my book ;)

"Saner heads?" Better some reports of R600 "selling out due to high demand" than another month or two of NV30 comparisons from the likes of us, IMHO. Again, I may be overestimating the buying public's awareness of the launch postponement or concern with R600's delay in following G80. (Let's see if I remember to compare R600 uptake in a few months to G80's current uptake [~9k] in Steam's survey.)

More importantly, we'd be seeing developers talking about how they're getting code running on the new hardware earlier as well, since it's possible some bigger developers would have a peek or two.

Have I missed dev blogs to this effect, or is the silence still deafening?

Perhaps AMD's hardware's so awesome it can afford to run code optimized for other architectures and it will be free of hiccups when developers get their hands on it, or they just like to get all their problems at the same time.

I've been a vocal critic of NVIDIA's Vista driver issues (I bought an 8800GTX on launch only to have it sit in a draw for 2 months and use my old 7800GTX when I installed Vista Ultimate from my MSDN account) but I have to say now I think things are working well.

I can't remember the last time I booted this system into XP and all the games I play (GTR2, World Of Warcraft, Counter Strike Source and a few others) work great with 100.65.

Affected games include Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Sin Episodes, Half-Life 2, and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast. To apply 4X AA in those games, Nvidia says users must set that mode in both the game and in the Nvidia control panel. Interestingly, Nvidia claims the problem applies not only to ForceWare 100.54 and later driver revisions for Vista, but that it will also apply to future 100.xx ForceWare drivers for Windows XP. The company says it's currently working with developers to help them better implement CSAA support in their games.

..a bit more careful reading would help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back