The Kingdom of the Random

GOOOOOD!!!! That's a pet peeve of mine, too.

And, what about this one? Some people want to do some search in Google. For instance, they want to search "is soda harmful?". Well, they start writing and the suggestion is already there maybe when they just typed "is soda h"... BUT... they keep typing AND not because they want to type it all, NO... they type until the text says "is soda harmfu" and THEN they press the down arrow and ENTER. What... The... Fuck?! WHY?

Never really saw anyone doing that, but I believe you. That reminds of a painfully ridiculous situation with a boss of mine when I still worked at University. He asked us to research something and we couldn't find many sources. We told him that by email and he called us to his Office, opened Google, typed the words and then looks at us "See? Thousands of results, how couldn't you find lots of stuff?". Yes, thousands of results that had 0 to do with what he was actually looking for... :rolleyes:

Well, some of them don't even know what are you referring to when you say those words.

I worked as a technical support agent and often I was so amazed at the fact that there's people who put some people to work with a computer, even thoght they don't know how to use it... Sometimes I imagine the managers addressing the employees like "there, that's a computer, com-pu-ter... and you have to do shit with it. I have to go. If you have any questions, contact the service desk. Bye". Some users don't even know their ID!!
honestly, a person that wants to do any kind of office job and doesnt know how to use a computer should proactivelly find a way to learn how to do it. It's borderline iliteracy at this point. Probably that complacency is one of the reasons they don't know how to use it in the first place.

honestly, a person that wants to do any kind of office job and doesnt know how to use a computer should proactivelly find a way to learn how to do it. It's borderline iliteracy at this point. Probably that complacency is one of the reasons they don't know how to use it in the first place.

It is borderline illiteracy indeed. I think the complacency is probably due to how they were thought at school. I say this because currently I live in a country that is not my own and have attended a few courses here (including a 2 year one). On my own country I was educated with an attitude of: here is the basics, go find the rest for yourself, which involved a lot of work, self-research and learning. Where I live now, studying actually frustrated me because they give you the answers to everything and my colleagues were still complaining it was too much work and hard!!

I mean, they would have course work where the structure was given to them and they only had to fill in the spaces!! I was baffled how can someone learn anything at all with this type of education, since it does not stimulate learning at all, but simply memorization. No wonder they finished the course feeling they had learned nothing, when all they had to do was adapt what was shown to them on an exercise to the final coursework! This could have been a specific situation with a particular teacher, but no, its standard education here.

On the flipside, my work and learning habits made me easily the best classmate with the most fleshed out coursework who was seen by the others like some kind of genius lol. Not at all, they were just incredibly bad! None of them would have made it till the end on my home country with that attitude, that's for sure. Not talking about young people either, most were 30+ years old.

Last edited:
It is borderline illiteracy indeed. I think the complacency is probably due to how they were thought at school. I say this because currently I live in a country that is not my own and have attended a few courses here (including a 2 year one). On my own country I was educated with an attitude of: here is the basics, go find the rest for yourself, which involved a lot of work, self-research and learning. Where I live now, studying actually frustrated me because they give you the answers to everything and my colleagues were still complaining it was too much work and hard!!

I mean, they would have course work where the structure was given to them and they only had to fill in the spaces!! I was baffled how can someone learn anything at all with this type of education, since it does not stimulate learning at all, but simply memorization. No wonder they finished the course feeling they had learned nothing, when all they had to do was adapt what was shown to them on an exercise to the final coursework! This could have been a specific situation with a particular teacher, but no, its standard education here.

On the flipside, my work and learning habits made me easily the best classmate with the most fleshed out coursework who was seen by the others like some kind of genius lol. Not at all, they were just incredibly bad! None of them would have made it till the end on my home country with that attitude, that's for sure. Not talking about young people either, most were 30+ years old.
Tell us the countries.
I'm fom Brazil, and the education here is much more traditional and memorization based too. But I played around with stuff that interested me in my spare time. I taught myself how to use photoshop, illustrator, adobe premiere, flash, all in my spare time during my school years, before I ever was even sure I wanted to pursue that as a career. So education system, while it might help or hinder, is no excuse. Some people are just happy to be sheep.

Tell us the countries.
I'm fom Brazil, and the education here is much more traditional and memorization based too. But I played around with stuff that interested me in my spare time. I taught myself how to use photoshop, illustrator, adobe premiere, flash, all in my spare time during my school years, before I ever was even sure I wanted to pursue that as a career. So education system, while it might help or hinder, is no excuse. Some people are just happy to be sheep.

Hi Milk, we share the same mother tongue (well, more or less :p). I'm from Portugal and currently living in Northern Ireland. At least during my University years we really had to research and learn a lot by ourselves.

I'm fom Brazil, and the education here is much more traditional and memorization based too.
Here's an interesting report of the brazilian education system by Richard Feynman. He visited Brazil during the 50s as an invited teacher and recorded his experiences in one of his books.

http://v.cx/2010/04/feynman-brazil-education

I think that's what probably happens at most educational institutions regardless of country.

Two days ago I went to the toilet in my workplace. One or two stalls to the side, I heard somebody fart. No big deal, you might think, but... The fart sounded just exactly one of my female peers saying "fuck!". It was supersuperweird.

It's not the first time I hear a perfectly vocalized fart, though.

Two days ago I went to the toilet in my workplace. One or two stalls to the side, I heard somebody fart. No big deal, you might think, but... The fart sounded just exactly one of my female peers saying "fuck!". It was supersuperweird.

It's not the first time I hear a perfectly vocalized fart, though.

I feel so sorry for your colleague if her voice is similar to a fart!

I think that's going to require a sound clip...

Sometimes I think of this song, and the lyrics are "Holding in a fart" in my mind. I even sing it like that, now and then. It goes so well with the metrics...

Maybe I should post this in the thread about songs... :cool:

"Dog" and "bitch"... Sometimes I think the feminine form could be "dogess", like in "lion"/"lioness".

The Frenchified term would be "dogeusse" (or "dogueusse"), which sounds more royal. Like "duchess". Something like that.

Back