The Insomniac Spiderman [PS4]

Compressed OG PS4 screenshot :

Dlm3SC5XcAA9H7G.jpg:large

Nice road textures.

That sort of compositing should be handled in the system OS IMO. Games generate a snapshot and then swap over to the photo editing app. Would save devs reinventing the wheel for every game.

That would make sense in terms of effort but could make for a slightly more clunky UI. You'd have the camera capture settings in game, where some games let you pull levers in the rendering engine in realtime then a bunch more layered on top supported by the OS.

Frankly the PS4 OS is already slow as molasses, they want to be making that quicker not baking in more stuff to slow it further. Going from Switch to PS4 is painful. Was PS4's interface always this slow?

Well, I'm thinking more future gens with these things on flash or something. But with more RAM reserved for OS than many mobiles running Snapchat, they should be able to fit a basic image editor in there...

Well, I'm thinking more future gens with these things on flash or something. But with more RAM reserved for OS than many mobiles running Snapchat, they should be able to fit a basic image editor in there...

I'm not a heavy photomode user but I thought many games let you realtime tweak the rendering engine of the game to change the position, virtual camera settings and other post-processing settings, along with eliminating UI elements, which I'm assuming produces better results than a screen cap and image editing options.

Where's Karamazov? I like APIs for standard interface options but if PS5 enforce's a baseline API do you then limit the rendering pipeline of games that want to support photomode? Will you end-up with non-standard photomode interfaces anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think the OS fiddling with photo editing would just make the process more cumbersome for most users.

I'm not a heavy photomode user but I thought many games let you realtime tweak the rendering engine of the game to change the position, virtual camera settings and other post-processing settings, along with eliminating UI elements, which I'm assuming produces better results than a screen cap and image editing options.
That's why I said to have the game produce the snapshot with their own photomode, but to have the editing and embellishment in the (already present) image editing app. Every game, from Spider Man to Dreams to Fortnite to yada yada, is going to have to create its own image compositing interface which is wasteful. They should just provide some custom art to an existing library.

I see Sony already have something suitably awkward in Share Factory. So close and yet so very, very far!

Got to play it for an hour on Sunday because the gf got a review code. Holy crap is this an impressive piece of software. And we played on a regular PS4 connected to one woefully outdated LCD tv no less. Gonna look absolutely miraculous on mine. But hey, if folks would rather worry about puddle placements then that's their right I guess ;)

So far reviewers on Twitter seemed to be associate the game with holy shit as well :). I get the feeling all those trailers and demos aren't even scratching the surface of what's to come.

It's incredibly impressive really. Due to the fact that Peter can climb anything and everything, the devs even modelled a lot of what's behind the windows of buildings for that extra bit of realism. Those windows aren't just flat planes with some cubemaps.
What's arguably more important is that the game also feels like an Insomniac game. It's super tight and responsive despite all those lovely animations.

Very nice to hear, can't wait to play it on my Pro in 4k HDR. Photomode is also gonna make it hellava long time to finish.

So far reviewers on Twitter seemed to be associate the game with holy shit as well :). I get the feeling all those trailers and demos aren't even scratching the surface of what's to come.

The previews were incredibly strong, we know traversal, combat and what story has been shown or played is all solid, so the only remaining area where it may disappoint is how the game tells the story over however many x hours the campaign is. This is something I care less about than the moment-to-monent gameplay but I would expect a fairly decent story given how much comic narrative Insomniac had available to draw from.

The review embargo lifts Tuesday, 4th September at 7am PT / 10am ET / 3pm BST / Midnight in Sydney so we'll know tomorrow how good is it.

Back