The hugely scientific B3D hardware failure poll 2011 edition

How many consoles have you got through?

• Total voters
can't believe I'm the only one with a Wii that died (well had gfx card issue) - wouldn't be so bad but I sent my minty Wii from UK to US and paid ~£50 to get a battered Wii back :(

also had 2 X260s die (20GB original models) and 1 PS3 (launch Japanese 60GB)

interesting looking at the stats, clearly the PS3 is the more reliable (between X360 & PS3) - I also wonder how many people sold on their 'doomed' X360/PS3 to get a slim before the inevitable happened (or simply just update quite often)

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I need to ask a question and didn't think starting a new thread was worthwhile.

My Xbox (Falcon) has died - red light am death due to the GPU. Just outside the 3 year warranty too. Anyway, I have all my stuff on my 120GB phat HDD, and have just ordered a 360S 250GB. Trouble is, how do I get all my data off the phat HDD? My nearest buddy with a 360 phat is about 100 miles away, and using the 120GB HDD in the 360S is a violation of the Xbox ToS that MS could easily detect.

Is there any way to transfer data off the old HDD without getting scalped for a HDD transfer cable on ebay (MS don't even sell them any more)?

open the XBox 360 HDD case.
then buy cheap SATA to USB cable, connect it to new xbox s. Do the transfer.

sorry the bad english.

Your English is fine!

Will the Xbox read a built in HDD through USB? I assumed there was something special in the official transfer cable that told the Xbox to transfer data from it, and not just format it and use it as a 16GB external drive.

I've got all the tools to do it, and if it'd work that'd be ideal. If I can't I might just cancel the 360S and "jump out" as I'm already pretty unhappy about having to buy another 360. :???:

My first Xbox died, but it was a failure of the DVD drive, not the RROD.

PS3 died of YLOD. I fixed it, but it was only short-term and it died again shortly thereafter.

Actually you don't even need to do the transfer. Just take out the hard drive out of its case & plug it directly into your new Xbox 360 S slot. You might need something like cardboard or something to keep it propped up inside or you can buy an empty hard drive case from eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...hdd)+(shell,+case,+cover,+enclosure)&_sacat=0

I hear that the snap and lock are better as it doesn't requiring gluing. I plan on doing this when I buy a slim. Already have a 120gb that's plenty big for me.

Tommy McClain

h due to the GPU. Just outside the 3 year warranty too. Anyway, I have all my stuff on my 120GB phat HDD, and have just ordered a 360S 250GB. Trouble is, how do I get all my data off the phat HDD? My nearest buddy with a 360 phat is about 100 miles away, and using the 120GB HDD in the 360S is a violation of the Xbox ToS that MS could easily detect.

Not that this helps you now...but for future reference you may want to just always save to the cloud. I also select cloud storage for save games so all games save everything there all the time, even during gameplay, I have no save games on hdd at all. That way if your console dies you don't lose valuable game saves, and you can just redownload purchased content.

it seems "function" already know that he can put the old HDD into New xbox, but he dont want to do it

function said:
using the 120GB HDD in the 360S is a violation of the Xbox ToS that MS could easily detect.

@function,
usually i just using cheap SATA to USB, backup the data to PC HDD. then copy it back to other HDD.

its using app called xplorer360

Thanks for the feedback chaps!

Actually you don't even need to do the transfer. Just take out the hard drive out of its case & plug it directly into your new Xbox 360 S slot. You might need something like cardboard or something to keep it propped up inside or you can buy an empty hard drive case from eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...hdd)+(shell,+case,+cover,+enclosure)&_sacat=0

I hear that the snap and lock are better as it doesn't requiring gluing. I plan on doing this when I buy a slim. Already have a 120gb that's plenty big for me.

Yeah, the idea of re-using my old HDD was appealing, but the 250GB was only £20 more expensive than the 4GB (£15 after the cost of buying the empty HDD case) and I came across this in the Xbox forums:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/4558.aspx

Can't find any evidence of bans, but given that I'm betting a new system and that I also have an XNA account don't I want to get banned for something (even if it is an entirely fair an decent thing to do!).

Not that this helps you now...but for future reference you may want to just always save to the cloud. I also select cloud storage for save games so all games save everything there all the time, even during gameplay, I have no save games on hdd at all. That way if your console dies you don't lose valuable game saves, and you can just redownload purchased content.

Yeah, I certainly wish I'd at least backed everything up to the cloud now. I've just recently done a full system backup for my PC, should have thought to do the same for my Xbox from time to time given how awful the hardware is and how restrictive the ToS turned out to be. It's Karma for all the times I've criticised people for not backing up their PC!

Interestingly, Microsoft's crappy 360 hardware hasn't lost them money in my case, it's actually generated them extra profit from the otherwise entirely unnecessary re-purchase of an extremely well looked after console. That $1 billion RRoD write-down is now reduced by $100. :(

usually i just using cheap SATA to USB, backup the data to PC HDD. then copy it back to other HDD.

its using app called xplorer360

Thanks. Almost all of the Xbox transfer cables on ebay are 3rd party efforts that seem to use a PC and a software tool to do the transfer - I guess they're just attempts to cash in on exactly the process that you're describing.

I'll keep looking for a cheap official cable for the minute - I can probably sell it again after use - but it's good to know there are options. You can get the official cable for $15 (inc shipping) in the US straight from MS. In the UK they don't even list it.

Bummer, hadn't heard that. Thanks for the heads-up. Guess I'm getting a 250gb model & the official cable too. Maybe a local game store will let you "rent" the transfer cable if you buy a new system from them? Thought I heard GameStop allowing that when the Slim first came out.

Tommy McClain

I'm not sure whether they'd actually enforce that though - they'd have to be Complete and Utter Bastards of the Highest Order to ban someone for using their official, completely legit HDD outside of its official caddy when you can freely transfer phat with phat and slim with slim HDDs. For the purpose of anything you could do on Xbox Live an old HDD in a slim is as trustworthy and legititmate as any other storage medium that they sell and/or let you use with an Xbox.

Technically, unscrewing your pad to clean a spill would be a bannable offence too. But who knows, maybe they'd ban you for that too if they could...

No mention of bans or violating the ToS for using a 3rd party transfer cable though. Just dire warnings about HDD destruc.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/14226.aspx

Looking into this further, you can still buy "fake" HDDs that's are flashed with the MS firmware, cost half as much, and still seem to be undetectable. Your old, official, paid for and un-tampered with (except for the caddy) Microsoft 120GB drive would stand out a mile though. Sheesh, what a messed up situation.

Yeah, I thought of that as well. The banning is not worth the savings in going with the cheaper bundle. Oh well.

Tommy McClain

My 360 must've died in its sleep recently. Haven't used it in well over a year. Tried to turn it on a couple of weeks ago, but there was no reaction whatsoever. Poor thing.

Not even an E73 or E74? Have you been able to try it with another PSU?

My 360S has surprised me a bit. It is really, really quiet when you're not using the optical drive (the DVD seek is actually the nosiest I can recall hearing in any DVD drive) and I had to check to make sure the fan was actually turning. And it gets hot. The entire top of the case gets hot, and the fan keeps going for up to twenty seconds or so when you power off. My Falcon case never got hot (warm on the bottom, under the GPU) but then again this one will probably not destruc.

My understanding is that saving to the cloud is only good if you restart a game. If you continue an existing game you have to load from the original locally saved location and cannot change to the cloud. In other words to change to cloud saves you will lose all of your existing local saves.

Have only just found out about this from personal experience. Some saves will transfer to the cloud, others (like Mass Effect) are tied to a single storage device.

That's flipping bonkers. Tie it to a single user by all means but no way to transfer saves, or back up data you've put hundreds of hours into? That just makes me sad. :(

You guys sure that's the case? Before cloud storage I used to move all my saves to a 360 mem card, then to a usb thumb drive when those got supported, and now I've moved them all to cloud and haven't looked back. That's hundreds of save games that have been shuffled from hdd to official mem card to usb thumb drive and now they all sit on cloud. I believe I still have my Mass Effect saves as well, I don't normally delete save games. Nowadays I do all saves on cloud directly and have never encountered any issue although truth be told I don't play AAA games on 360 anymore, just Kinect/Arcade/Indie games so perhaps that's why.

I'll test some more saves later, but while some definitely would copy straight from HDD to cloud, Mass Effect (1 or 2, can't remember now) was blocked. If I can find an empty USB drive to use as an intermediary I'll try doing it that way too.

I just checked and indeed my Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 saves are all sitting on the cloud, enjoying retirement. Maybe you were thinking of the ps3? I've heard that machine locks saves to the hdd sometimes. I've never had that issue on the 360 though where a save was locked, I've always moved them to external storage once I was done with a game in the past although now that's all moot with direct to cloud saves so I don't bother anymore. I also took the opportunity to purge some saves as well, it was getting ridiculous in my cloud storage, got it down to just 67 now.

Back