The Giants will win the Superbowl again in 2009

Happy to have watched my Niners beat up on the Bears last night. Overall the offense is looking promising (I can see this team chewing up some serious yards this season), but they need to work on that redzone offense if they're going to be a serious contender instead of another also-ran. Defense was pretty solid, considering the ridiculous numbers Chicago put up on special teams (but that's to be expected).

Glad to see someone other than Smith at QB too. What a disappointment his career has been so far. Granted, he hasn't had any real weapons to work with in the receiver corps (aside from Vernon Davis, whose pass-catching has been rather inconsistent), and an absolutely atrocious pass-blocking line, but even with some real weapons last night he just couldn't place the ball where it needed to be. I want the guy to succeed, partly because management was (is?) so high on him, and partly because we're paying him WAY too much money to sit on the bench, but at the same time I'd rather the team play the right guy at QB to win games, and apparently that's JT O'Sullivan.

Some QBs dont perform well in some systems... in othes they just take off.. I still dont think that Eli performs well in Gilbride's system... there are several factors that similarly affect Alex Smith... for whatever reason SF began to focus on their run game with the acquisition of Gore... making teh O'line focus more on run blocking versus pass blocking... also air weapons have been a weakness of the team since teh loss of TO...Alex smith is suffering from David Carr itis and it affects his accuracy and timing... dropped balls also lessen a QB's confidence adding up to Alex Smiths non-performance Once the Oline gets solid and you have a consistent hands in the WR you COULD see and improvement good luck!

Some QBs dont perform well in some systems... in othes they just take off.. I still dont think that Eli performs well in Gilbride's system... there are several factors that similarly affect Alex Smith... for whatever reason SF began to focus on their run game with the acquisition of Gore... making teh O'line focus more on run blocking versus pass blocking... also air weapons have been a weakness of the team since teh loss of TO...Alex smith is suffering from David Carr itis and it affects his accuracy and timing... dropped balls also lessen a QB's confidence adding up to Alex Smiths non-performance Once the Oline gets solid and you have a consistent hands in the WR you COULD see and improvement good luck!

The Niners now have Isaac Bruce, and he played last night. Doesn't get much more reliable than that. :) Vernon Davis actually looked capable of catching a ball out there, for once, and he did catch a few. The new guys Hill and Zeigler also looked good. I've got high hopes for this receiver corps. It's not Jerry Rice and Terrel Owens, but it's a far cry from what it has been of late.

The following (taken from the Niners website) says it all for me:

J.T. O’Sullivan started and played the entire first quarter and two plays of the second quarter. He finished 7 of 8 for 126 yards, 1 touchdown, and with a 158.3 QB Rating.

Alex Smith played most of the second quarter and two series into the third quarter. He finished 6 of 17 for 83 yards, 1 touchdown and a passer rating of 71.4.

The following (taken from the Niners website) says it all for me:

J.T. O’Sullivan started and played the entire first quarter and two plays of the second quarter. He finished 7 of 8 for 126 yards, 1 touchdown, and with a 158.3 QB Rating.

Alex Smith played most of the second quarter and two series into the third quarter. He finished 6 of 17 for 83 yards, 1 touchdown and a passer rating of 71.4.

Yeah but was A smith playing with the second team receivers...? I dont know i didnt watch the game... off to NFL.com right now...

nah he apparently said he'd be willing to play another season for the low low price of $8 million.

nah he apparently said he'd be willing to play another season for the low low price of $8 million.

Didn't he get an "analyst" job with Fox (or one of the networks)? Either way I still have to look at that ugly mug every Sunday, so I'm not happy. At least he won't be racking up "sacks" anymore. I'm sure you all know what I mean ;)

Doh!

I thought he would just fade into obscurity but NO! Damn it Gap-Tooth McGee, why do you insist on haunting me?

Back