The future of consoles

Gaming laptops. These laptop devices have exploded in popularity due to your named reasons. Even pre-builds make more sense now, they didnt skyrocket in the same way GPUs have.
And thats to say that the price gap between PC and console gaming has been larger before, i remember the mid to late 90's and even the 2000's where gaming pc's where really expensive, and lasted about a year or two at most.

And, what exactly has that got to do with what I said? A new gaming laptop with equivalent performance to a new current generation console costs multiple times as much as the console does.

Regards,
SB

Something like Steam is just click on Play on the game in your library and everythings done for you by Steam, installing, patching etc at once. With fibre internet its as much plug and play as it can be on pc. As Shifty noted console and pc have grown very close regarding ease of use, though the consoles are still easier/more plug and play then the pc is even today.
W10/W11 update drivers and everything you need in the background aswell, its not as straight forward as a console but damn things have been much and much worse on the pc.
No, it's not as transparent as that yet. I've had issues with my PC maintaining a network connection, seemingly solved through the USB lottery of devices to put in which ports to find something that's stable. I know other folk with really slow updates, or PC doesn't power off properly. They are also vulnerable to poor user activity. I'm still called upon to do PC maintenance for friends and family. And even MS's own hardware isn't completely solid with the OS going by my own Surface Pro.

You also have to source a PC or build your own, and sourcing a good one is quite pricey I think, certainly in the UK. I prefer to build my own, which is now a doddle versus yesteryear but still quite time consuming researching and selecting good parts.

If you already have a good PC, gaming on PC is a solid option now, but I don't think PC can be recommended to people who console game as an easy substitute they could swap to.

And, what exactly has that got to do with what I said? A new gaming laptop with equivalent performance to a new current generation console costs multiple times as much as the console does.

Regards,
SB

Gaming laptops are the same price as they have been before, they are not affected the same way as dedicated GPU's are. PC gamers consider a gaming laptop instead, from what i have gathered, not directly a console.

I've had issues with my PC maintaining a network connection, seemingly solved through the USB lottery of devices to put in which ports to find something that's stable. I know other folk with really slow updates, or PC doesn't power off properly.

These things arent that common to me, my family and friends that game on pc's (rare actually).

They are also vulnerable to poor user activity.

Absolutely true yes. A console is fail-safe regarding that.

If you already have a good PC, gaming on PC is a solid option now, but I don't think PC can be recommended to people who console game as an easy substitute they could swap to.

Which wasnt any of my claims either. Ive said before, consoles are still easier and more fail-safe, they probably always will be, its in their nature. Their less versetile in every-way for that very reason.

Edit: i intended to quote and then insert/edit into my previous post but already hit Reply as a reflex before that :p

Modern PC gaming is not much different than console gaming. You just open steam and click play.

If you don't leave Steam running in the background, it can't download updates in the background. Then you find you have a bazillion updates.

Even when you do leave Steam running in the background - like I do on all my computers - you'll find that Steam has not scheduled the update for download for two sodding weeks. Or it's not scheduled any downloads because there is a client update that needs to happen first, which it explicitly requires you the user to click a 'restart' button. Seriously, what kind of nonsense is this?

This is nothing like the console experience. My PS5, Switch, and Xbox Series X all just sit in low-power usage states then when a firmware or game update is ready, the console downloads and installs it. Right then, not in two weeks time. Then when I want to play a game, I don't then discloser I need to download 20 Gb of updates before I can begin playing it.

The client update and game update processes on PCs is shit. And it doesn't need to be. Why have these choices even been made?

Modern PC gaming is not much different than console gaming. You just open steam and click play.

With caveat: as long as you use common pc setup.

When you deviates from the common pc setup, the bugs increases exponentially.

For example (uh.. I'm a bad example as I'm bugs magnet)... I use Nvidia RTX LHR connected to LG OLED display and Yamaha AVR and Sony Dualsense controller. Way too many audio devices than normal setup.

This result in issues:
  • Windows randomly forgetting dualsense controller is a controller with full range quadrophonic speakers instead of "small" speakers. You need dualsense in full range speakers mode for the HD vibrator to work correctly on windows.
  • Windows randomly changing the name of my Yamaha AVR to be the exact same as LG CX OLED.
  • windows randomly incorrectly set the LG CX OLED as the default audio device.
  • Window randomly incorrectly set the dualsense speakers as default audio device
  • Windows randomly resetting back my AVR to stereo instead of 5.1ch surround and whatever audio sampling rate I've set.
  • Windows 10 unable to display exclusive full screen HDR without crashing the whole system to black screen. windows 11 fixed this issue to only randomly.
  • GPU clocks sometimes stuck at low clocks if I turn on/off AVR while on windows. Or if I turn the pc on without actually turning on the avr and the oled TV first. Seems related to how people has been complaining this since LHR was released and they say simply plugging a dummy display port or hdmi plug fixes this issue 100%.
  • Every single time I plug dualsense, windows set it as the default microphone. If I disable dual sense microphone, windows randomly creates duplicated entries of dualsense mic and thus using it (and keeping the other exact same entry name disabled)
Oh, and those "known issues" listed on every Nvidia driver updates that's basically almost no one any human ever know in their social real life experienced? I usually experienced one or two of them every update.

Sure consoles are not free from bugs (I'm looking at you, Xbox quick resume), but they are much rarer and new updates usually didn't introduce new bugs and/or makes old bugs resurfaces.

Edit:

And I haven't even mentioned PCVR. Truly a nightmare compared console vr like oculus quest and PSVR.

If you don't leave Steam running in the background, it can't download updates in the background. Then you find you have a bazillion updates.

Even when you do leave Steam running in the background - like I do on all my computers - you'll find that Steam has not scheduled the update for download for two sodding weeks. Or it's not scheduled any downloads because there is a client update that needs to happen first, which it explicitly requires you the user to click a 'restart' button. Seriously, what kind of nonsense is this?

This is nothing like the console experience. My PS5, Switch, and Xbox Series X all just sit in low-power usage states then when a firmware or game update is ready, the console downloads and installs it. Right then, not in two weeks time. Then when I want to play a game, I don't then discloser I need to download 20 Gb of updates before I can begin playing it.

The client update and game update processes on PCs is shit. And it doesn't need to be. Why have these choices even been made?

The update issue with steam is a deliberate move by valve to help internet condition on covid era.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/2074411495515541375

That's one of the annoyance of pc. It's not rare for its behavior to change to be more cumbersome.

On playstation, Sony almost never do that. And when they do, it's usually in smaller parts. On Xbox Microsoft will always do whole dash overhaul thingy. But it's not a yearly thing. Quite rare.

truly nightmarish experience

It really isn't, but it's also nothing like consoles which is what you claimed.

I did, when i buy new game on xbox/ps4 i go to shop click on buy chose how i want to pay and click install, wich is pretty much the same as on steam. The ONLY diffrence is steam cannot update games when PC is powerd down. Its the ONLY difference between those two. Wiich is exacly what i claimed before

"Modern PC gaming is not much different than console gaming. You just open steam and click play."

I catch hate for this, but I feel like console's time "as they were" is almost up. Another generation after this one perhaps.. and then the industry consolidates around generic devices as well as cloud streaming. "Playstation" and "Xbox" will become pre-built small form factor PCs by their respective platform holders. Developers will develop one build of a game which can be deployed anywhere, on any device that meets the games min requirements. Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo (eventually) will sell their games everywhere possible and promote their own cloud streaming services. Other companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and others will also have their own such services... and eventually the age of "dedicated gaming devices" will be at an end.

I did, when i buy new game on xbox/ps4 i go to shop click on buy chose how i want to pay and click install, wich is pretty much the same as on steam. The ONLY diffrence is steam cannot update games when PC is powerd down. Its the ONLY difference between those two. Wiich is exacly what i claimed before
Except it's not, which I already explained. The consoles are designed to keep as many games updated as possible so that whenever you may wish to play them, they are immediately ready to go. Steam detects patches but will defer downloading them for upto 2 weeks. It also also not download any patches when the client needs updating.

I constantly have to wait for patches to games on Steam because it's decided it won't download the patch for 8 days - or download anything at all until I've restarted the client, which it could just have done itself. I don't know use my PC eery day, there are usually patches for something every day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except it's not, which I already explained. The consoles are designed to keep as many games updated as possible so that whenever you may wish to play them, they are immediately ready to go. Steam detects patches but will defer downloading them for upto 2 weeks. It also also not download any patches when the client needs updating.

I constantly have to wait for patches to games on Steam because it's decided it won't download the patch for 8 days - or download anything at all until I've restarted the client, which it could just have done itself. I don't know use my PC eery day, there are usually patches for something every day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think we have pretty much completely different view on what is pretty much the same and completely different.

I catch hate for this, but I feel like console's time "as they were" is almost up. Another generation after this one perhaps.. and then the industry consolidates around generic devices as well as cloud streaming. "Playstation" and "Xbox" will become pre-built small form factor PCs by their respective platform holders. Developers will develop one build of a game which can be deployed anywhere, on any device that meets the games min requirements. Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo (eventually) will sell their games everywhere possible and promote their own cloud streaming services. Other companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and others will also have their own such services... and eventually the age of "dedicated gaming devices" will be at an end.
Only because after PS6/NextBox there will be no way to increase performance in a reasonable form factor/power budget. In a reality where silicon scaled infinitely, consoles would be around for decades at least.

Only because after PS6/NextBox there will be no way to increase performance in a reasonable form factor/power budget. In a reality where silicon scaled infinitely, consoles would be around for decades at least.
Why waste time/money and continued risk of R&D'ing and building console specific proprietary hardware when you don't have to? Having to build up an entire new user-base every generation?

That made sense in the past, but with the way the industry is going it just makes far more sense to cut those costs AND the risk of having to build a userbase from scratch, and just focus on the things that ACTUALLY make you your money.. which are Games and Services. People want their games and services to follow them wherever they go.. that's becoming the standard.

Nintendo obvious is a bit different as they develop hardware designed to make them money from day 1.

I think Sony sees this as an eventuality, and are now beginning to understand that it's better to start building out their library on PC now, rather than later.

Will be interesting to see what Spartacus turns out to be. Could give us some better insight.

i may be wrong but new consoles are kinda like new phones, they will not age good with time. The days when you collected crtidges or cds and still could play games are pretty much over. Will current XSX/PS5 games work 10 years from now? When you buy physical disc you are not buying complete game you need to download rest from the interwebz, when the servers will go offline they will be not possible to play old classics same way as we can now with psx/n64/nes etc etc etc. This is kinda sad.

Why waste time/money and continued risk of R&D'ing and building console specific proprietary hardware when you don't have to? Having to build up an entire new user-base every generation?

That made sense in the past, but with the way the industry is going it just makes far more sense to cut those costs AND the risk of having to build a userbase from scratch, and just focus on the things that ACTUALLY make you your money.. which are Games and Services. People want their games and services to follow them wherever they go.. that's becoming the standard.

Nintendo obvious is a bit different as they develop hardware designed to make them money from day 1.

I think Sony sees this as an eventuality, and are now beginning to understand that it's better to start building out their library on PC now, rather than later.

Will be interesting to see what Spartacus turns out to be. Could give us some better insight.
Because performance is still a hugely limiting factor and internet is absolutely horrendous in one of the largest video game markets(USA). As long as those remain true there will always be a need for new consoles. Console hardware does make money, just not in the first year of production. PS3 situation is never coming back. What you propose is less profitable for console manufacturers and results in a worse experience for the user.

Except it's not, which I already explained. The consoles are designed to keep as many games updated as possible so that whenever you may wish to play them, they are immediately ready to go.
Ish. If you leave your console in standby. And even then only in theory as for some reason I don't get Apex updates in the background and have to launch the game for it to update. And I think only if PS+ subscribed, or has that changed?

I constantly have to wait for patches to games on Steam because it's decided it won't download the patch for 8 days
Same on PS4. Getting an SSD proved essential because the 'only updating when your ready to play including half and hour of copying' delay of 40+ minutes was excruciating!

I think the wider point is, where once consoles offered a flawless experience of put in disk/cart and play, versus PC's laughable requirement to juggle IRQs and DMAs and fart about with driver conflicts, now both are near the same ballpark of a store you can buy games on and play, and varying degrees of bad-luck and fringe-case issues making the experience not flawless on any machine, with more problems on Windows than console at the moment.

Ish. If you leave your console in standby. And even then only in theory as for some reason I don't get Apex updates in the background and have to launch the game for it to update. And I think only if PS+ subscribed, or has that changed?

Same on PS4. Getting an SSD proved essential because the 'only updating when your ready to play including half and hour of copying' delay of 40+ minutes was excruciating!

I think the wider point is, where once consoles offered a flawless experience of put in disk/cart and play, versus PC's laughable requirement to juggle IRQs and DMAs and fart about with driver conflicts, now both are near the same ballpark of a store you can buy games on and play, and varying degrees of bad-luck and fringe-case issues making the experience not flawless on any machine, with more problems on Windows than console at the moment.

Now thats a unbiased, well written reply. Thanks.

Back