The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by BRiT, Dec 5, 2018.

1. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Epic.... fail?

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I wonder if Valve offered the choice of unlimited 3rd party store keys +30% for Steam sales or ~12% with no free keys, what would developers choose?

3. fehu

Veteran Regular

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I found this amusing. Re-logic (Terraria is their most famous game) has stated in the past that they will never be a part of the Epic Store. But they are scheduled to appear on the PC Gaming show...which is sponsored by the Epic Game store.

Evidently this caused some confusion with people questioning their past stand.

Ah, that just made my day. Give Epic the middle finger for trying to remove choice from gamers.

Regards,
    SB

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

That's not how sponsorship & digistore contracts work though, is it? I'd have thought that the PC Gaming show would be organized by folks, who then solicit sponsors to help foot the bill while the attendees are a separate matter unless the sponsor wants to make certain conditions.

tl;du - sponsors != organizers

... and maybe it'd be bad PR for Epic to make such a (childish) draconian exclusory condition for sponsorship anyway, picking on the small company.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh, no the confusion I believe was from the fact that Re-logic accepted the invitation (or applied?) to be on the PC Gaming show with the Epic Store being the major sponsor. They basically just cleared up that they'll never sell their soul to be an Epic Store Exclusive. That's a key difference from just appearing on a show that the Epic Store is sponsoring or potentially having a game on the Epic Store.

They also clarified later in that chain, that they don't judge smaller developers who are less fortunate than they are financially who end up taking Epic's money.

Terraria made them enough money that they don't have take part in anti-consumer behavior.

Regards,
    SB

7. milk

Veteran Regular

Technically she said they "will ever be an Epic Store exclusive"
    Confusion continues.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

It's only confusing if you don't quote the whole sentence.

milk likes this.
  9. milk

Veteran Regular

Oh, for a sec I thought their studio was called "No Re-Logic"
    I'm an idiot.

Malo likes this.
  10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

So Epic is having their first sale and of course there's drama surrounding games being removed from the store due to the publishers pulling out of the sale. What's just utterly stupid is that the games not participating have to be removed from the store temporarily until the sale is over... what a shit show.

Rootax, AlBran, BRiT and 1 other person like this.