The difference between 23°C and 23°F is about $883K according to Samsung Semi Austin

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/05/17/0517samsung.html

The difference between 23 degrees Celsius and 23 degrees Fahrenheit is about $883,000, according to a lawsuit filed this week by Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Samsung filed a federal lawsuit Monday on behalf of its insurance companies, seeking to recover the cost of a wafer analysis machine rendered useless when it was shipped at too cold a temperature.

According to Samsung's complaint, a Southern Refrigerated tractor-trailer hauled the machine from San Jose, Calif., to one of the chip maker's two factories in Austin. Because of its delicate, temperature-sensitive optical devices, the equipment had to be kept at temperatures around 23 degrees Celsius in transit.
[...]

"(The) driver incorrectly set the temperature on the ... trailer at 23 degrees Fahrenheit," Samsung said in the complaint, adding that the "sub-freezing temperatures damaged sensitive portions of the machine" and left it "worthless but for salvage value."

In the end everybody will learn a valuable lesson. Especially DHL, and the value to the lesson is being estimated $900K.

Indeed. ;)

At any rate, an unfortunate accident. :( We really should agree on a common metric. I wonder how much the numbered date system has cost companies too... (DD-MM-YYYY vs MM-DD-YYYY)

It's easier to lose pounds than kg though :p (even if they aren't exactly the same measurement, weight vs mass).

Real men measure weight in Newtons.

Anyway, the Ariane 5 incident was much more costly, but that was a data conversion error. :)

Indeed. ;)

At any rate, an unfortunate accident. :( We really should agree on a common metric. I wonder how much the numbered date system has cost companies too... (DD-MM-YYYY vs MM-DD-YYYY)

It's easier to lose pounds than kg though :p (even if they aren't exactly the same measurement, weight vs mass).

You guys from the colonies just shouldnt have decided to use something else that what has been used in europe for like forever :LOL:

I think the MM-DD-YYYY format is illogical since MM is a superset of DD, it's kinda like writing the number one-hundred-and-one like this: 110

I think the MM-DD-YYYY format is illogical since MM is a superset of DD, it's kinda like writing the number one-hundred-and-one like this: 110

I disagree because when a person talks about a date they usually say "What's today's date? Oh, May 18th, 2008" (month first, then day, then finally year). For consistency's sake, MM-DD-YYYY should be preferred. :p

You are both wrong :)

Just follow ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD in all written text as we do in Sweden, China, Japan and a few other civilized countries and be done with it ;)

MM-DD-YYYY in text should be considered a crime against humanity, or at least common sense. But then again, some people still measure their weight in 'stones'..

Overe here (sweden) we say 18th of May 2008 (but in Swedish) , which is more logical, but I prefer the reverse YYYY-MM-DD in writing, and it is so much easier to sort cronologically ;).

We've had this debate before :)

I disagree because when a person talks about a date they usually say "What's today's date? Oh, May 18th, 2008" (month first, then day, then finally year). For consistency's sake, MM-DD-YYYY should be preferred. :p

That's a cultural thing, the two go hand-in-hand. To me today's date is the 18th May 2008 not May 18th. Moreover it's the eighteenth of May two thousand and eight. It's not eighteen May two thousand eight. What the hell is wrong with the the, the th and the and? Grrr. :devilish:

You are both wrong :)

Just follow ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD in all written text as we do in Sweden, China, Japan and a few other civilized countries and be done with it ;)

MM-DD-YYYY in text should be considered a crime against humanity, or at least common sense. But then again, some people still measure their weight in 'stones'..

I would be ok with that as well.

I like MM-DD b/c I care more about the month than the date. The year first would be perfectly acceptable as well though.

If it's any consolation to you Willard, even though I argued against you I still am hopelessly stuck thinking today is May 18th, 2008.

And miles, mph, feet, inches, and fahrenheit. It sucks, but that's how my brain is hard coded from childhood. :(

yes thats correct, also in english (and some other languages) we screw this up WRT numbers from 11-19
45 = fortyfive
35 = thirtyfive
25 = twentyfive
15 = fif-teen // lets swap the order around just to take the piss

the US are moving over (very slowly) to the metric system, in NASA thats what they usually use (sometimes with mistakes, as above), with the world becoming more global this is only gonna accelerate

Back