The difference between 23°C and 23°F is about $883K according to Samsung Semi Austin

I know. So the Danes saw the need to complicate things a bit... ;)

Yup. They basically go like this:

1-10
Tens
Two tens
Three tens
Four tens
Half (way to) three twenties
Three twenties
Half (way to) four twenties
Four twenties
Half (way to) five twenties
One hundred.
"And then I went out and killed a bunch of people" -random dane

Seriously, my brain is exploding from thinking about that.

Thank you Ronald Reagan.
Anybody else remember the heavy-duty conversion to metric programs in the schools back in 1975-1976? The US was going metric in a big way and we were learning it and using it in school.

Then Reagan won and killed metric because the soviets used it.

Ummm, I remember learning the metric system in the 80's.

You didn't get it (maybe I was unclear) - in the 70s we were not "learning" the metric system - we were dropping the British-pound system and the whole country (road signs, etc.) was going to go metric.

"On 23 December 1975, President Gerald R. Ford signed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, which finally gave official federal sanction for the U.S. to convert to using the metric system. However, the 10-year deadline (for conversion), which was in the original bill that was ready for the U.S. Congress to vote on, was somehow dropped from the final version of the bill. So no deadline was set for making the U.S. transition to metric system usage. In 1975, President Ford sent USMA a ceremonial pen to commemorate the signing of this metric law."

Of course this never happened. Reagan disbanded USMB in 1982 or somewhere thereabouts.

"On 23 December 1975, President Gerald R. Ford signed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, which finally gave official federal sanction for the U.S. to convert to using the metric system. However, the 10-year deadline (for conversion), which was in the original bill that was ready for the U.S. Congress to vote on, was somehow dropped from the final version of the bill. So no deadline was set for making the U.S. transition to metric system usage. In 1975, President Ford sent USMA a ceremonial pen to commemorate the signing of this metric law."

Of course this never happened. Reagan disbanded USMB in 1982 or somewhere thereabouts.

Well, the logical transition from measuring in millimeters is full blown communism.

You are both wrong :) MM-DD-YYYY in text should be considered a crime against humanity, or at least common sense.

The Twin Towers attack is commonly referred to as 9/11.

We're being subsumed. Globalisation. America. Arrgghh. :runaway:

:p

The Twin Towers attack is commonly referred to as 9/11.

We're being subsumed. Globalisation. America. Arrgghh. :runaway:

:p

That's partially because 911 is the emergency services phone number in the States. If the phone code was different I think the event would be more like "Sept 11" and not 9/11.

If you ever have to write international software, tell your customers that it's going to cost twice as much to use all the local date variants than to simply use the ISO one, in the long run. You'll be mostly right.

Then again, if you want to support that application for the rest of your life, don't.

As for an example: most (Dutch) customers I write apps for have their locale set to US-english, with the Euro sign as currency. Except for people (mostly managers) who bring their own laptop, or work from home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back