Ten things I hate about the Xbox 360: CNET

valioso said:
because most people compare it to the last gen of consoles.. not to PC...

Exactly

I have not played a PC game for years. Going from Xbox games to CoD2 on X360 is a huge jump for me.

According to some people that have both it displays as well if not better than even the most high end PC so there's that as well.

fearsomepirate said:
And why do people think CO2 looks so amazing? I think it looks like an Xbox game with a fresh coat of paint, or maybe all WWII games have looked the same to me since Return to Wolfenstein.

have you taken it home and actually played it for a couple hours on an HDTV? :cool:

I totally agree that COD2 look like an upgraded XBOX game. It's not the graphics that are so impressive, but the pacing, the action, the intensity.

It's not often in COD that you even have a chance to admire the GFX, you're always worried about simply staying alive. Graphically though, it's not that good.

One of my buddies who is as casual as they come remarked "Looks just a little better than the first one" by that he meant xbox1. Then I threw in Kameo and was pretty impressed.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what all the USB ports are needed for. What are all the USB accessories that need to be plugged in to a 360 that require a ton of ports?

Controllers, eithernet adapter and something to stream music from could easly push things over the 3 ports on the console.

kyleb said:
Controllers, eithernet adapter and something to stream music from could easly push things over the 3 ports on the console.
you can simply buy wireless controllers

Ethernet adapter is one

you have 2 left

an ipod would leave one left

Camera would fill it up .

What else do you need ? More so since two are easy to acess on the front of the console , why couldn't u simply switch out when you need too ?

Hell there are only 2 controller slots on the ps2 . Didn't see many complaints evne though the other consoles had more

nismo123 said:
So true, XBox 360 is dissapointing so far. Actually i am selling it on ebay and make some money on top. That's the only plus side to owning it so far which is pretty good i must say.

No HDMI is a big let down, i have a 50" Sony TV with HDMI which i cannot use, although components are pretty good, but HDMI produces much better picture.

I also own a Sony HDTV, but HDMI for 720p/1080i is not exactly a visual or audio upgrade in my experience. I have a Motorola DCT6412 "Phase III" digital cable terminal, which has both HDMI and Component (and optical for audio) outputs. I originally heard HDMI was so much better, so naturally I bought an HDMI cable. It looked great. The problem was, there's firmware issues in the box and DD5.1 does not work through HDMI on it. So instead I hooked up my component cables and optical audio, and it...looked just as great.

jvd said:
you can simply buy wireless controllers

Ethernet adapter is one

you have 2 left

an ipod would leave one left

Camera would fill it up .

What else do you need ? More so since two are easy to acess on the front of the console , why couldn't u simply switch out when you need too ?

*edit

Sure wireless controllers are an option if you don't mind paying $10 more a pop up plus whatever time and money it takes to keep the batteries juiced and you don't mind not being able to us them with your PC either, but otherwise you will likely wind up with at least a couple of wired controllers that you want to use at some point or another. Combine those two used ports with one for wireless eithernet and you just ran out of space to plug in some tunes or hook up one of those camara's they have comming. Sure there are ways to work around that, but you are only kidding yourself if you want to pretend it isn't an issue.

And yes, the two ports on the PlayStations with the cluncky breakout boxes has been an issue for many poeple as well, especially after becoming accustomed to having 4 controller ports on N46s and Dreamcasts. Hell, having to unplug the DVD player eye just to play 4 players on the orignal Xbox even got it's share of complaints, and things are only going to get worse with the more consoles evolve to multi-media devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
Is this some great defender of MS thing you are trying to do here or what? The other day you were trying to argue that there shouldn't any troubles with the 360's controllers in Windows games when I have been using one for PC gaming and know damn well of the issues there, and now you are trying to pretend like there is no issue with the number of USB ports. So what is the deal here?

Sure wireless controllers are an option if you don't mind paying $10 more a pop up plus whatever time and money it takes to keep the batteries juiced and you don't mind not being able to us them with your PC either, but otherwise you will likely wind up with at least a couple of wired controllers that you want to use at some point or another. Combine those two used ports with one for wireless eithernet and you just ran out of space to plug in some tunes or hook up one of those camara's they have comming. Sure there are ways to work around that, but you are only kidding yourself if you want to pretend it isn't an issue.

And yes, the two ports on the PlayStations with the cluncky breakout boxes has been an issue for many poeple as well, especially after becoming accustomed to having 4 controller ports on N46s and Dreamcasts. Hell, having to unplug the DVD player eye just to play 4 players on the orignal Xbox even got it's share of complaints, and things are only going to get worse with the more consoles evolve to multi-media devices.

What, its the end of the world because it doesn't have more usb ports? It's probably not an issue at all with 90% of the people, the other 10% have a relatively cheap and easy solution. It's really pretty silly to get worked up about it.

AlphaWolf said:
What, its the end of the world because it doesn't have more usb ports? It's probably not an issue at all with 90% of the people, the other 10% have a relatively cheap and easy solution. It's really pretty silly to get worked up about it.
I don't believe kyleb is suggesting it's the end of the world, only pointing out a scenario in which the Xbox 360 doesn't have enough USB ports. It is a valid scenario, but it's also an edge case, and they optimized for cost instead of ultimate flexibility.

I'm still not sure how someone could "hate" that about the Xbox 360, but there you go.

.Sis

PG2G said:
these articles are so stupid...

And actually, no HDMI is far from a let down. My TV, and most others, has exactly 1 HDMI port. For anyone sane, that will be reserved for their High Def Movie player.

There is no hi-def movie player in existence. (upscaling DVD != HD). So what you're really saying is that you reserved your HDMI port for the PS3 :D, and that Microsoft's lack of HD movie playback support (no HDDVD or BDROM) means they lost out on owning your HDMI port.

AlphaWolf said:
I'm not getting worked up about it, I would have likely never even mentioned it but the 10-things list did and flf asked how it would be an issue so I explained it. Anyway, I read JVDs responce and mistook it for one from flf, but all the same I am wondering if people are being intetionally obtuse here or what? I'm not particularly concerned with the number of USB ports, but the guy wrote a "Ten things I hate about the Xbox 360" article and apparently he is as he put it in his list. He is probably an accessory junky like the people who have to have something in every PCI slot on their motherboard even though they don't use half of it, but all the same he has reason to complain.

But as for the cheep solution; is there a 360 USB hub or will any old hub work? I heard something about Microsoft having some special hardware certification program for 360 devices, but I never found a clear answer to if that extended to such simple devices as hubs.

DemoCoder said:
So what you're really saying is that you reserved your HDMI port for the PS3 :D, and that Microsoft's lack of HD movie playback support (no HDDVD or BDROM) means they lost out on owning your HDMI port.

Question: Is (Component/Digital 5.1 == HDMI)?

This is to ask: Is HDMI simply a different way of connecting the units together, however the signal quality is still the same?

Well the answer to both your questions is no, so either I am totally missing your point our you have your facts seriously messed up.

kyleb said:
But as for the cheep solution; is there a 360 USB hub or will any old hub work? I heard something about Microsoft having some special hardware certification program for 360 devices, but I never found a clear answer to if that extended to such simple devices as hubs.

Any hub should work.

flf said:
Question: Is (Component/Digital 5.1 == HDMI)?

This is to ask: Is HDMI simply a different way of connecting the units together, however the signal quality is still the same?

In my experience, there were no visual differences between Component & Optical versus HDMI. I can't judge audio differences because, well, HDMI audio doesn't work on the Motorola DCT6412.

kyleb said:
*edit

Once again aside from the wifi adaptor why would u have most of these things plugged in at once ?

On my pc , I have an xbox 360 controller , printer , scanner , mouse , keyboard . camera . Now of these I only need the mouse and keyboard connected . The other 2 slots i switch out the other things i need (they are on the front)

Its what i did for all my systems since the nes. Because although i had the robot , the zapper , the power pad , the power glove and uforce along with the standard controller i never needed to use all of these things at once.

The same goes with ps2 . Or hell my gamecube with 4 ports . I may have had my mario dance mat , 4 controllers nad 2 bongos but i never said wow i wish they had put on 8 or 9 controller ports so i'd have this all plugged in at once.

Aside from that any cheap 10$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817111490

Will work , my friend is using this . 10$ and now he has 6 usable ports . 4 in the back and 2 in the front

Back