Sweet Jebus (2000W PSU)

I think everyone should watch An Inconvenient Truth. I feel sick at the thought of 2000W PSUs in computers that would probably be left on overnight.

A system left on overnight would be drawing a small fraction of that power. Unless of course they're protein folding with their 2x quad-core CPUs, and quad SLI. In which case, the power is probably being put to a better cause then when that system is under its regular use as a gaming machine.

The number of 2kW PSUs burning away at full power around the whole, all year, will be miniscule in comparison to the number of offices with hundreds of 50W systems left idling away over the same period. A computer room next to my lab has 30 machines that never get switched off, ever.

The number of 2kW PSUs burning away at full power around the whole, all year, will be miniscule in comparison to the number of offices with hundreds of 50W systems left idling away over the same period. A computer room next to my lab has 30 machines that never get switched off, ever[\i].

No to mention that most large offices have the lighting left on overnight as well!

yeah, the idiotic practices of educational institutions and corporate offices far outweigh the most extreme things that can be done by computer enthusiasts, even dumping LN2/dice/AF coolant into the environment is nothing compared to what the most "humble" school districts pull off daily

/rant

also, can someone enlighten me as to this "electric kettle" (I've never heard of such a device, is it like a hotplate at all?)

Back