Swapping HDD's in my PS3 - backup utility and other related Q's

I thought you were limited to 5 downloads from PSN for paid content and after that have to re-purchase. Is that not accurate anymore?

im happy to report that the backup/restore feature worked very well. simply backup, swap the HDD, and restore. my ps3 is exactly the same as it was before, settings and all. i didn't even have to re-download anything (purchased content, demos etc.).

I did the same yesterday, backed up 35GB of data (reported use was at about 55GB, which includes Linux), and swapped in a 320GB drive. I had some problems with the screws on the metal case, as do a lot of people apparently, but needle-nose pliers helped. Then back in, formatting, reserving 10GB for Linux again (I didn't backup my Linux install, going to get a new one at some point anyway), and restoring the data. The latter took quite long and seemed to come to a halt once or twice, but after about 2 hours it was all there.

With that said, when I get my new PS3, can I just put the old HD in the new one, and not have to re-download all my purchased content?
No! The HDD's are linked to the PS3 unit.

I couldn't find anything definitive in regards to being able to recover ALL my PSN and Rock Band purchases. All signs seem to point to yes, but I couldn't confirm. Any thoughts or suggestions on maintaining my data, or being able to recover it?
You need to do a backup, then restore to your new PS3.

Rockstar said:
I thought you were limited to 5 downloads from PSN for paid content and after that have to re-purchase. Is that not accurate anymore?
I don't about this. I know that you can install stuff on up to 5 different PSN accounts, but I don't recall hearing about any limits on how many times you can download.

Backup and restore it is then! Will have to wait until at least tonight, wasn't able to find a 40gb unit yesterday.

Question here:

Say I decide to take out my HDD and plug it in another PS3, once the PS3 boots will it prompt me to reformat the drive or will it load normally with my data intact?

I ask this incase the PS3 needs to be sent it for repairs so I have to take out my 320GB HDD and plug it in the refurb.

The new PS3 won't boot off the HDD. I don't know if it asks to format or not.

Interesting.. I'd better get an enclosure and back up then.

And to touch in on an earlier post, downloads are unlimited on 5 different machines (confirmed, having had to re-download some content more than 5 times). That applies to PS1 games playable on PSP's (up to 5 PSP's).

My PS3 is broken, but im thinking getting an external HDD in a few days.

I need confirmation that the backup function saves the PS2 saved games as well.

Does anyone know if it does/does not? Thanks.

Well... Hum... Now that I've used the PS3 backup tool, I'm almost wondering why bother?! I used up almost 5 GBs of HDD space, to save 3 users, a few megs of themes and a few megs of saved games. It didn't backup Warhawk or the LBP patch. Also while backing up, I had to delete content to fit onto my 6 GB external HDD. I had 3 GBs free and was told the PS3 needed an extra 700 MBs. I free up 1 GB and I'm told it need 400 MBs more! I delete all my downloaded games, so the only things I have on the PS3 are WH and LBP, and that shrunk the backup size requirement...and yet these things aren't restored. So why would they need backup space?

After all that faf, the only thing restored was three user accounts and saved games. No themes, PSN login details, patches or download games.

That's quite strange. When I did my backup it saved everything, PSN login details, saved games, downloads, the works. Everything was restored to the new HDD I put in. I also did the same trick for a friends 40Gb > 120Gb upgrade and that also restored everything off her old HDD.

May be it depends on the space of the backup HDD ? My experience was similar to Shifty's. I had a limited backup HDD like him too.

The PSN login record was not copied. I think the theme setting was also not backup'ed/restored but I am not sure anymore.

The game saves restore is a big plus though. Otherwise, you'll have to copy them individually. There is no "Multiple Copy" for game saves.

Well... Hum... Now that I've used the PS3 backup tool, I'm almost wondering why bother?! I used up almost 5 GBs of HDD space, to save 3 users, a few megs of themes and a few megs of saved games. It didn't backup Warhawk or the LBP patch. Also while backing up, I had to delete content to fit onto my 6 GB external HDD. I had 3 GBs free and was told the PS3 needed an extra 700 MBs. I free up 1 GB and I'm told it need 400 MBs more! I delete all my downloaded games, so the only things I have on the PS3 are WH and LBP, and that shrunk the backup size requirement...and yet these things aren't restored. So why would they need backup space?

After all that faf, the only thing restored was three user accounts and saved games. No themes, PSN login details, patches or download games.

And no system settings as well. It didn't restore any of my system settings when I did it either.

That's quite strange. When I did my backup it saved everything, PSN login details, saved games, downloads, the works. Everything was restored to the new HDD I put in. I also did the same trick for a friends 40Gb > 120Gb upgrade and that also restored everything off her old HDD.
This is on a replacement PS3. It looks like when you get your PS3 replaced, the restore restores practically nothing, rather than upgrading an HDD in the same PS3. This is something to note for anyone wanting to buy a later PS3 model, or a second machine. Backing up won't enable you to clone your old PS3 experience onto your new one. It'll in fact copy over next to nothing, and you'd probably be better off copying out game saves and be done with it.

To clarify, having used backup I had to manually set :

Correct name (An asterisk was added to the restored account names)
Network settings
System settings : Time (use internet clock), music, theme, display
Enable ATRAC
Enable WMA
PSN Details
Download all games
Download all patches
Recreate a US account. The old one was not restored.

What was restored :
Saved games
User account icons
Themes were saved but not applied

I don't know about images, movies or audio files as I cleared the few I had off.

...you'd probably be better off copying out game saves and be done with it.

It's a pain in the b*tt to do this manually. You have to go through every game save to copy them.

I did it because my target disk was very small. The backup function is the recommended way to copy game saves in my case (upgrading PS3 HDD).

I suspect the tool is mostly meant for people upgrading HDDs. With me, it was even going to copy game installs until I manually deleted them.

Yeah, I also used the tool when I upgraded, and before also when I made a Linux partition. In both cases virtually everything was backupped and restored, including all logins, etc. Very happy with it. I also used a 320GB external HDD the second time, and I backed up about 55GB off my 60GB harddrive. Now that I think about it, would be interesting to see what would happen if I put that 60GB drive into another machine ... probably won't transfer a lot either, due to the DRM. It's not surprising, but its good to know anyway. I was already planning not to copy anything to the second PS3 through backup, just start using it fresh and download/install stuff when needed. I've vowed to wait until the PS3 hits 299 though, so I don't think it will happen at least until something like March 2009. ;) Completely unrelated, I noticed that if you download something from the PSN store and don't use background download, it installs automatically.

I did it because my target disk was very small. The backup function is the recommended way to copy game saves in my case (upgrading PS3 HDD).
OH, sort of a "Rock and Hard Place" choice then. Without an option to copy out the folder of save files, copying them individually versus spending a notable amount of time backing up absolutely everything even when you don't want to isn't an easy choice to make! I suppose at least with backup, if you have the room to hand, you can leave the PS3 to it and go do something else instead.

Yap, the basic problem is there is no "Multiple Copy" option for game saves. I believe the same option is available for other media.

This is on a replacement PS3. It looks like when you get your PS3 replaced, the restore restores practically nothing, rather than upgrading an HDD in the same PS3. This is something to note for anyone wanting to buy a later PS3 model, or a second machine. Backing up won't enable you to clone your old PS3 experience onto your new one. It'll in fact copy over next to nothing, and you'd probably be better off copying out game saves and be done with it.

I said that back in May in this very post! :p

If you're restoring to the same PS3, most everything is restored. If you're restoring to a different PS3, account data is not restored.

But please, please, also do a manual backup of your game saves and PS2/1 memory cards. Preferably even on an entirely different media than what you're doing the complete backup with. You never no if the backup is corrupt or not until you try to restore it. At which point, the restore won't go through, and then it formats your drive because of the corrupt restore (so you can't test it beforehand).

I did not knew that, then they should not name it "backup utility" but "upgrade to a bigger HD in the same PS3 utility".

Gradthrawn, or someone else, can anyone confirm if the audio and video files are copied to the HD of a different PS3? Because if we use the PS3 as a multimedia device, then it would be nice if we have a functioning backup as in backup...

What are our alternatives then? Copy everything to an external HD?

Back